Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Hunt For Cold: Model Discussion - Heading Into Christmas

Paul
Message added by Paul

If you're hunting for cold potential in the model output, this thread is for you. But if you'd like to look more widely at the models, please head over to the general model discussion thread.

This is a model related thread, so a general, frequent theme of the model output is a given, but it will not be strictly enforced:

• Some topic drift, humorous responses etc are fine
  • Posts likely to lead the thread off on an entirely off topic tangent are not ok. For example (but not solely limited to): Posts entirely or mainly about Met Office, BBC or media forecasts with little or no model context, and posts solely asking for a weather forecast in a specific location.
  • Posts which start with something like 'I know this is off topic but ...' are not ok.
  • Posts which break the forum guidelines are not ok (eg trolling, troll-hunting, weather guilt tripping, overly defensive/aggressive, abusive, disrespectful to others)

Posted
Just now, johnholmes said:

I wonder what effect this will have, or not as the case may be?

http://ds.data.jma.go.jp/tcc/tcc/products/clisys/STRAT/

What’s your thought on these GEFS John, a huge swing cold with some amazing NH profiles. A one off, or is the SSW being picked up on here do you think?

• Like 2

Posted
4 minutes ago, Ali1977 said:

The whole GEFS are, game on looking at these.

infact we have nearly half going BOOOOOOM

Thats very positive news Ali..

We do seem to be copping for a lot of crappy operationals for some reason..

• Like 3

Posted
Just now, northwestsnow said:

Thats very positive news Ali..

We do seem to be copping for a lot of crappy operationals for some reason..

A few day 11, awesome charts.

C54A3E20-2CF9-49E2-A86E-C2D5A512F5FC.png

87E99A0C-9C25-4172-862E-E9197EE18085.png

555BB826-887C-4A83-BF36-989769D789A4.png

73755F10-CED6-4B71-8425-B509FEFF94CE.png

14767497-B0CD-485F-BD25-A0900C95F3CC.png

EA9DA7DD-DF43-42A7-941F-E33F47F95559.png

• Like 7

Posted
7 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

Time for a Sudden Stratospheric Warming Warning, SSWW?

It should be renamed a sudden so what warming.

So despite some "excellent back ground signals" being trumpeted since mid November by some, the reality is a mild December hovering around 2c above the long term average, and we continue to sit under a Big Daddy High, lumbering from side to side but really not going anywhere fast. All we need is a slight lollop over to the right side and it becomes a bona fide Euro High. I'm afraid that any SSW, SSWWW, or an invasion by Putin would be rendered useless as it would be game over for January

We've been here many many times before and I really think that we need to be realistic about the prospects and put the rose tinted glasses away for a while. 

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, Weather-history said:

Thats interesting. The mean chart GFS 06z at 240hrs

image.thumb.png.8b3d6d63976921898998e3d009f6c893.png

The ten day means have showed potential for some time, they're just not getting closer.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW AND FREEZING TEMPS
Just now, feb1991blizzard said:

GEFS are a stonker

You always say feb that your not to bothered bout the ops if they wobble but as long as the ensembles look good and the GEFS are very good on the 6z .

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, SLEETY said:

the ops have been crud for weeks,maybe the ensembles can lead the way for a change

Agreed,but the weather has been crud too, an indication that the ops are leading the way over the ensembles?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal (Continental)
31 minutes ago, karlos1983 said:

Happy New Year everyone!

I’m giving this place a miss for the rest of the day before I get dragged into this extremely bizarre negativity!  

The clues are there! Wild swings in the output, GEFS members showing Hight rises to the North, SSWE unfolding as we speak! But whatever  :oldrolleyes:

Don't let the moaners get you down! (no snow flurries today, but a flurry of newly-ignored members getting me close to 22 pages of them now)! MODS - maybe 'the ignored' can be notified each time someone sets them to that status - or at least given stats as to how many people are ignoring them?!

I actually think the last couple weeks and upcoming couple weeks of model watching are the most interesting for a long while - looking to see how the different models handle the SSW and indeed how the SSW will play out. I particularly look forward to the posts of the several forum members who take time to put together thoughtful posts, we all know who they are: the few who nobody sets to 'ignore'!!!

I also agree, it is bizarre how some posters are nor only verging on calling winter over, but denying any taste of winter so far - even down in Devon this winter we have had several frosts, with snowfall up the road on higher Dartmoor, and several more frosts to come this week. Other more northerly/easterly members have had a proper taste.

Happy New Year - and may it be a frosty, snowy, chilly one in the not too far off future! I am most definitely not going to be lowering my expectations!

• Like 5

Posted
Just now, mountain shadow said:

Sounds a bit more manyana manyana to me. A mid month change to cold becoming less and less likely I think.

Just sounds like the SSW is still causing issues with forecasts. Nothing to worry about just yet.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
Just now, karlos1983 said:

One more post then!

D5E7EBBE-EC0A-438C-8CB4-F748837405F4.thumb.gif.445df490e5b196c45a6e541427172c9b.gif

fimd some negativity in that ☝️

Best set of the season so far, prolonged -3/-5 is good. 

• Like 8