Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Hunt For Cold: Model Discussion - Heading Into Christmas

Paul
Message added by Paul

If you're hunting for cold potential in the model output, this thread is for you. But if you'd like to look more widely at the models, please head over to the general model discussion thread.

This is a model related thread, so a general, frequent theme of the model output is a given, but it will not be strictly enforced:

• Some topic drift, humorous responses etc are fine
  • Posts likely to lead the thread off on an entirely off topic tangent are not ok. For example (but not solely limited to): Posts entirely or mainly about Met Office, BBC or media forecasts with little or no model context, and posts solely asking for a weather forecast in a specific location.
  • Posts which start with something like 'I know this is off topic but ...' are not ok.
  • Posts which break the forum guidelines are not ok (eg trolling, troll-hunting, weather guilt tripping, overly defensive/aggressive, abusive, disrespectful to others)

Posted
6 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

Extended eps beginning to drift towards a potential scandi ridge beyond two weeks and the Russian trough is looking like it would retrogress under - timing fits in with Exeter’s thoughts re a possible easterly ..... ec 46 due out at 10pm and going to be interesting to see if that fits what glosea must be showing (which must be that possible easterly flow)

Sounds good Blue-

Not up to date with MJO forecasts or other telecommunications -(miss Tamaras input badly)..

• Like 4

Posted
2 minutes ago, Stuie W said:

Well good to see the ECM op was a mild outlier.

graphe_ens3.png

probably to do with the high- more members will have it a bit further north i would imagine..

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers, Snowy winters.
5 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

probably to do with the high- more members will have it a bit further north i would imagine..

Or differently aligned

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

Hope the models improve soon, can't see anything wintry at all up to and including christmas with changeable / unsettled atlantic weather and temps either close to average or just above..and the thought of high pressure building from the south is dismal as we approach the new year..sorry but i'm far from inspired by the latest output..still hoping / dreaming of a cold January.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Posted
13 minutes ago, ... said:

That's very detailed.  Hopefully the retrogression isn't as fast as it was in March.  A more stationary pattern would be nice.

A long long way from anything like that .... we may have caught sight of the bridge but the water hasn’t been located yet 

Bloody hell the petty squabbling in here today is probably the worst ive ever seen during winter months.. come on guys and girls lets stop it, yes we are all here to hunt cold and snaw but there is a real world outside with real dung happening affecting real people and yet here we are with you lot all going on at each other like a flake of snaw or not is the be all and end all of days. get a grip.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

Well it's the 17th December, a week before Christmas, and where do things stand in model world?

Well unfortunately we seem to have taken a few steps back from only a few days ago. We're about to see a significant warming of the stratosphere but unfortunately what once looked like a split event, now looks like it may only be a displacement. The GFS para was looking good up until yesterday but now even that has gone backwards- we can only see temperatures here but you get the gist-

gfsnh-10-384.png?12

GFS operational is similar-

gfsnh-10-384.png?12

It's not bad as far as displacements go, but without a follow up wave 2 warming, the vortex would regroup.

So, what is the upshot?

Well I've always been very clear that the seasonal models showing HLB for the core of winter were, in my opinion, factoring a split SSW event. Without this, I fail to see how we have the ability to pull a prolonged cold outbreak out of the bag. I am not precluding a cold spell sometime early to mid January however, seeing as the displacement could open the door for us (however fleetingly).

I have a nagging feeling, something in the back of my mind, that the much maligned CFS could have nailed this winter season- in as much as it has consistently plumped for a mixed winter period with a sustained blocking signal towards February and March...

Something that Interitus said in the strat thread yesterday resonated with me with regards to it possibly being February when we see another chance to take the SPV down completely- that would totally tally with the CFS prognosis. 

I don't think we should be too downbeat at present but the modelling is drifting away from what I wanted to see continue as we headed towards Christmas and we should be aware that the much talked about early to mid Jan cold spell may not transpire in any meaningful way. 

Onwards and upwards!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, More Snow said:

Bloody hell the petty squabbling in here today is probably the worst ive ever seen during winter months.. come on guys and girls lets stop it, yes we are all here to hunt cold and snaw but there is a real world outside with real dung happening affecting real people and yet here we are with you lot all going on at each other like a flake of snaw or not is the be all and end all of days. get a grip.

More snow I've recently discovered the ignore button, makes the thread a more pleasent read, highly recommended lol

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in
9 minutes ago, More Snow said:

Bloody hell the petty squabbling in here today is probably the worst ive ever seen during winter months..

You've seen nothing yet... 

If you learn what's best to read and what to just skip through it makes this thread a good read though. 

Edited by matt111
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, bobbydog said:

Really?? Today's nothing! You've obviously missed some of the best ones! There's been some proper handbag swinging in here in the past  

maybe this season then, but today has been poor really.

1 minute ago, matt111 said:

You've seen nothing yet... 

If you learn what's best to read and what to just skip through it makes this thread a good read though. 

i do remember december 2012 when that ECM west boobs up... that was probably the worst to be fair, but today has been a poor show.

Posted
4 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

Well it's the 17th December, a week before Christmas, and where do things stand in model world?

Well unfortunately we seem to have taken a few steps back from only a few days ago. We're about to see a significant warming of the stratosphere but unfortunately what once looked like a split event, now looks like it may only be a displacement. The GFS para was looking good up until yesterday but now even that has gone backwards- we can only see temperatures here but you get the gist-

gfsnh-10-384.png?12

GFS operational is similar-

gfsnh-10-384.png?12

It's not bad as far as displacements go, but without a follow up wave 2 warming, the vortex would regroup.

So, what is the upshot?

Well I've always been very clear that the seasonal models showing HLB for the core of winter were, in my opinion, factoring a split SSW event. Without this, I fail to see how we have the ability to pull a prolonged cold outbreak out of the bag. I am not precluding a cold spell sometime early to mid January however, seeing as the displacement could open the door for us (however fleetingly).

I have a nagging feeling, something in the back of my mind, that the much maligned CFS could have nailed this winter season- in as much as it has consistently plumped for a mixed winter period with a sustained blocking signal towards February and March...

Something that Interitus said in the strat thread yesterday resonated with me with regards to it possibly being February when we see another chance to take the SPV down completely- that would totally tally with the CFS prognosis. 

I don't think we should be too downbeat at present but the modelling is drifting away from what I wanted to see continue as we headed towards Christmas and we should be aware that the much talked about early to mid Jan cold spell may not transpire in any meaningful way. 

Onwards and upwards!

I have that sinking feeling also.  If we get something similar to last winter, that wouldn’t be so bad, but I feel we would be hard pressed to get a similar ‘Beast from the east’ late February.  

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

The main 3 broadly on the same idea with high pressure not far away for the Christmas period. I can't see anything really mid like some years so in that respect temps shouldn't be too high even if it isn't snowing/bitterly cold it would be as close to seasonal as you could hope for by the UK's standards

gfs2.2018122412_168_lant.troplant_prp_fcst.gentracker.thumb.png.f194213c3d0091e54b59c517a9b0abe2.pngecm2.2018122412_168_lant.troplant_prp_fcst.gentracker.thumb.png.6739d1a487efed06f0d5e4b7ea416703.pngukm2.2018122412_168_lant.troplant_prp_fcst.gentracker.thumb.png.c4c930c237ed2435970dd565a6db562a.png

• Like 2

Posted

Looking for crumbs of comfort?

Well when ECM output varies wildly run by run after 144 like it has been, then you know there is a pattern change coming, and an unusual one. Also, I don't get the despondency on strat charts either, still looking good for wave 1 and 2 attacks. Nothing to be sad about at all. If you ask me, mid Jan is the best time for cold and snow. It still looks all on for that. In my humble opinion

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow or dry, warm and breezy.
1 hour ago, Stuie W said:

I know the basics but chasing these charts in here isn`t right, it is a strat based subject. We are all chasing cold but as you will well know an SSW does not ensure us being entrenched up to our necks in cold. 

Anyway carry on.

I enjoy reading the SSW musings in here. It would be a pain to always have to switch to another thread to see them.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
22 minutes ago, More Snow said:

At least you've had the privilege of having already seen snaw

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Four true seasons. Hot summers and cold winters.

I've noted that yr.no which uses ECM data for its forecasts hasn't updated thus evening after the 12z. Usually a good sign it's a questionable operational run. 

Edited by Seasonality
  • Like 1