Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Hunt For Cold: Model Discussion - Heading Into Christmas

Paul
Message added by Paul

If you're hunting for cold potential in the model output, this thread is for you. But if you'd like to look more widely at the models, please head over to the general model discussion thread.

This is a model related thread, so a general, frequent theme of the model output is a given, but it will not be strictly enforced:

• Some topic drift, humorous responses etc are fine
  • Posts likely to lead the thread off on an entirely off topic tangent are not ok. For example (but not solely limited to): Posts entirely or mainly about Met Office, BBC or media forecasts with little or no model context, and posts solely asking for a weather forecast in a specific location.
  • Posts which start with something like 'I know this is off topic but ...' are not ok.
  • Posts which break the forum guidelines are not ok (eg trolling, troll-hunting, weather guilt tripping, overly defensive/aggressive, abusive, disrespectful to others)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
21 minutes ago, PerfectStorm said:

Yes would be detrimental to those along the immediate coast due to warmer on-shore breeze, but fantastic for those inland. Higher SST's will create more moisture = more potent showers. The greater the difference between the air temperature (colder the better) and SST (warmer the better), the more intense the precip will be. 

Was thinking the same thing: if last March's Beast gave us the dumping it did, just think how much snaw we could get, were -12C uppers to blow across the North Sea, two months earlier..?:santa-emoji:

• Like 1

Posted

Interesting difference of opinion between the ECM and GFS with the outlook .

The ECM shows a large spread in slp to the nw from day 7 , you can also see the huge spread on 850s.

So still a lot of uncertainty for Christmas week . 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold ,snow
2 minutes ago, Decemberof2010 said:

Peer 15 says Happy New Year

D0BDB22E-42D2-485E-A388-C65A2B6E8EA5.png

218BB1F4-3B2C-4962-A14F-D2D0CE8F0CC7.png

4F1D1521-4A88-4C2B-95CC-94F3495CB9B3.png

28F7719B-614B-4F75-B653-292DD08C0AD7.png

I think that's the kind of thing GP mused about not so many mins about on here!!!! Bank anyway

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: wintry
1 minute ago, Ed Stone said:

Was thinking the same thing: if last March's Beast gave us the dumping it did, just think how much snaw we could get, were -12C uppers to blow across the North Sea, two months earlier..?:santa-emoji:

To be honest Pete I'd prefer a slightly more northerly tilt to it than a straight Easterly, we ended up in the rain shadow from the Eastern Lakes Mountains and the Pennines, with the March 18 Beast, but nobbut a sprinkling of snow, even at height over here. Just mighty chilly in the wind!

While it won't verify exactly as shown, it might just be the right side of Easterly to give the whole country a shot.

Posted
1 minute ago, JeffC said:

To be honest Pete I'd prefer a slightly more northerly tilt to it than a straight Easterly, we ended up in the rain shadow from the Eastern Lakes Mountains and the Pennines, with the March 18 Beast, but nobbut a sprinkling of snow, even at height over here. Just mighty chilly in the wind!

While it won't verify exactly as shown, it might just be the right side of Easterly to give the whole country a shot.

There will always be areas that find themselves in a rain shadow. A straight easterly may keep you relatively dry but a northeasterly will do the same to another location.

• Like 2

Posted

I think there's been a substantial step forward on the GFS this morning. Para, Control and Op all showing variants of a split SPV with either a strong or very strong UK-based MLB, with heights ever-so-slowly creeping northwards. Given the pro forecasts, that seems about in-keeping with expectations for the medium term. 

• Like 7

Posted
1 minute ago, weirpig said:

Interesting  Graph to highlight the Heat Flux    only beaten by two others. 

Dusper_WkAIWx4Q.jpg:large

Dusper_WkAIWx4Q.jpg_large

The strongest this side of New Year sine 1978 though, and who’s to say we haven’t got time for another in Jan or Feb. 

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

I hope the Para is right, and really deep cold air rushes into Europe...What a beast that would be!:yahoo:

Netweather GFS Image

PS: There may be reason to expect upgrades!

Edited by Ed Stone
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers
15 minutes ago, karyo said:

There will always be areas that find themselves in a rain shadow. A straight easterly may keep you relatively dry but a northeasterly will do the same to another location.

I’ll take an easterly with a side of channel low please :drunk:

• Like 2

Posted

If you were happy with yesterdays MET update take a look at todays.

Northerly or Easting winds dominating with frontal systems bumping into the west to produce frontal snow.

Christmas come early?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Posted

Afternoon all

I suspected this morning's output would restore some colour to people's cheeks and get the curtains a-twitchin'.

For those of us who love cold without the snow, GFS FI is delightful with both OP and Parallel showing substantial mid-latitude blocking and as I constantly have to remind people, it's perfectly possible to get an ice day in London without a flake of snow on the ground if you get a serious inversion and both OP and Parallel - I know the 2m temperatures aren't suggesting that at the moment but I'm absolutely convinced IF we got a set up like:

gfs-0-372.png?6

We would have fog and frost as long as (and it's a big proviso) we can avoid embedding cloud in the circulation. This is why I quite like an HP forming from the south over land as they have less cloud in the embedded circulation than an HP coming in from the east or west.

Anyway, all a long way off and of course the big positive is the split PV now showing on both OP and Parallel which is significant IF it plays out.

All this will be too late for Christmas and New Year celebrations I suspect but promises a lot for January if the cards drop right.

• Like 6

Just now, ALL ABOARD said:

If you were happy with yesterdays MET update take a look at todays.

Northerly or Easting winds dominating with frontal systems bumping into the west to produce frontal snow.

Christmas come early?

Would love that setup but gotta see it to believe it, and I would respect the MET an awful lot more if they got that right from this range. So fingers crossed.

At the moment the trend is for a UK high and I for one can’t see past that. It also resonates with the trend we had over summer.

Posted

Goodness me that is huge upgrade from Exeter!!!.

They must be really confident ..

East or north easterly?

Yes please!!:cold:

Edited by northwestsnow
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
1 minute ago, northwestsnow said:

They are really confident ..

East or north easterly?

Next step is to get rid of the uncertainty and longjevity bit and get a pure cold (non faux) forecast right out to the last 3rd of Jan.

And what better way to do that than keep on with the split SSW runs

Edited by feb1991blizzard
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold snow, thunderstorms
2 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

East or north easterly?

That update just sent chills down my spine!! 

i would say confidence is relatively high.

bring it on

fromey  

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW AND FREEZING TEMPS
3 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

East or north easterly?

Yes please!!

Yes astonishing update . I thought it hadent change from yesterday’s when I read it earlier but it’s now updated and it’s stunning.

• Like 5

Posted
1 minute ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Next step is to get rid of the uncertainty and longjevity bit and get a pure cold (non faux) forecast right out to the last 3rd of Jan.

And what better way to do that than keep on with the split SSW runs

Agreed my friend..

I assume with the wording 'increasing likelihood' they are seeing Glosea pretty on target..

• Like 4

Posted
7 minutes ago, ICE COLD said:

Yes astonishing update . I thought it hadent change from yesterday’s when I read it earlier but it’s now updated and it’s stunning.

Still says updated 0120 , similar to yesterday’s...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW AND FREEZING TEMPS
Just now, Ali1977 said:

Go to the meto 16-30 dayer thread it’s posted in there . Make sure your sitting down tho

• Like 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, Ali1977 said:

It's not. Summer sun posted one but it hadn't updated. 

Here is today's. 

Through the first half of January, there is an increasing likelihood that colder weather may begin to dominate with a greater chance of seeing east or northeasterly winds. Should this occur, then wintry conditions are possible in eastern, southern and central areas with western parts of the UK staying relatively drier. Though should any Atlantic frontal systems try to make inroads western areas could also see some snow. Although signals suggest that a cold spell is the most likely scenario in early January, the extent and longevity of the cold weather is uncertain. Wet, windy and mild weather may still be possible at times.

• Like 8