Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Hunt For Cold: Model Discussion - Heading Into Christmas

Paul
Message added by Paul

If you're hunting for cold potential in the model output, this thread is for you. But if you'd like to look more widely at the models, please head over to the general model discussion thread.

This is a model related thread, so a general, frequent theme of the model output is a given, but it will not be strictly enforced:

• Some topic drift, humorous responses etc are fine
  • Posts likely to lead the thread off on an entirely off topic tangent are not ok. For example (but not solely limited to): Posts entirely or mainly about Met Office, BBC or media forecasts with little or no model context, and posts solely asking for a weather forecast in a specific location.
  • Posts which start with something like 'I know this is off topic but ...' are not ok.
  • Posts which break the forum guidelines are not ok (eg trolling, troll-hunting, weather guilt tripping, overly defensive/aggressive, abusive, disrespectful to others)

Posted

All I can see is that lobe of P/V moving over towards the Finland side , Which is what we need if were gonna get a Split.

• Like 4

Posted

Things are getting very complicated out in the Atlantic sector, for now UK high domination looks the favourite it must be said. It seems no matter what the pattern the core of the heights seems to slip back over us. Which to me makes the METO outlook even more odd they seem to make W’lies favourite, I just cannot see a prolonged period happening.

Edited by Weathizard
Wrong chart*

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny!
11 hours ago, Cymro said:

I wouldn't consider -9 dew points ‘pretty typical’ 

In the Brecon Beacons, it's not unheard of.  I was referring more to the -1C dew point across most of England.

Edited by Evening Star

Posted

Yeah the 6z turns into a bit of a bore fest in the end once again! All roads seem to lead to boredom at the moment

With such differences at day 5 though and the SSW in play im taking everything with a large spoonful of salt.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry mild or snow winter. Hot and humid summer.

With little consistency from run to run for area of the world I think it is perhaps better look at the pv profile for trends and the high over the pole is there consistently and now upto 1045. That’s a good theme and not the norm. 

E1AFB995-554D-4C22-976D-8B066D54BB02.png

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Weathizard said:

Yeah the 6z turns into a bit of a bore fest in the end once again! All roads seem to lead to boredom at the moment

With such differences at day 5 though and the SSW in play im taking everything with a large spoonful of salt.

The interest is 300hrs and even further into FI, SSW wise anyway 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fascinated by extreme weather. Despise drizzle.

Timing is far from clear, but it makes some sense for a brief westerly the north-westerly interlude to occur somewhere within the period 10th-14th Jan as the vortex split initially places a residual over the western N. Atlantic, and the MJO P7 + surging AAM influences won't yet have propagated across. 

npsh500.png 

Those first become evident as strong ridges into the Arctic from Alaska. This sets in motion a chain of events that drives a more negative NAO pattern. Meanwhile, lagged effects from the MJO P5-P6 crossing serve to increase the stratospheric split in the lower and mid-levels, moving the 'western' segment away from the N. Atlantic and across N. America.

npsh500.png npst30.png

GFS has been struggling as usual to sufficiently weaken the westerly flow out of N. America but the 06z has managed to have a good go at it.

• Like 3

Posted
7 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

6Z looks more promising to me.. certainly longer term looks loaded with potential..

image.thumb.png.47b7b1fecfd2ce70c156196b98898edd.png

So much cold air surrounding us, when (if) the change comes we could very quickly go into the freezer - rather than have to wait a few days whilst we drag cold air in which often wastes a few days a good wind direction vs actual snow etc...

• Like 4

Posted

Output overnight is a little soul destroying at this stage. There is little sign of the type of northerly latitude blocking we are going to need and retrogression of our high pressure to the northwest is inhibited by the northern arm of the jet consistently.

We are depending on some dramatic signal suddenly being picked up on the models in the next few days.

I don't think many of us are expecting much to change in the outlook in the near term.

Hopefully in the medium term we might get some joy from the recent SSW event but even then there is not guaranteed to be a reaction in our favor or any reaction at all for that matter.

Still, fingers crossed.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Yabadabadooooo! I like this evolution best of all - sub-20 uppers in Scandinavia? What could possibly go wrong!

image.thumb.png.2bd475f31610e59fd9b103ee3a1d5028.png

• Like 1

Posted
25 minutes ago, Weathizard said:

Things are getting very complicated out in the Atlantic sector, for now UK high domination looks the favourite it must be said. It seems no matter what the pattern the core of the heights seems to slip back over us. Which to me makes the METO outlook even more odd they seem to make W’lies favourite, I just cannot see a prolonged period happening.

I think a period of westerlies is almost inevitable its just a matter of whether its sooner or later. Although largely rubbish the CFS run yesterday illustrated a worst case scenario where the UK high just sat there until Feb and then we went westerly anyway. I reckon it will be short lived westerly spell though so lets get it done IMHO. GFS 06Z looks very plausible to me with quick amplification thereafter and a northerly incoming.

These circular mid lat highs rarely deliver so best we are rid of it. 

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, The Eagle said:

Output overnight is a little soul destroying at this stage. There is little sign of the type of northerly latitude blocking we are going to need and retrogression of our high pressure to the northwest is inhibited by the northern arm of the jet consistently.

We are depending on some dramatic signal suddenly being picked up on the models in the next few days.

I don't think many of us are expecting much to change in the outlook in the near term.

Hopefully in the medium term we might get some joy from the recent SSW event but even then there is not guaranteed to be a reaction in our favor or any reaction at all for that matter.

Still, fingers crossed.

Thats a very fair post Eagle and pretty much sums up my thoughts if honest..

The low heights to the NW have been relentless so far, until we lose them we are in no-mans land..

6Z shows the way out of the pattern nicely as we finally see a relaxation of the systems running across the pond towards mid month..

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

Thats a very fair post Eagle and pretty much sums up my thoughts if honest..

The low heights to the NW have been relentless so far, until we lose them we are in no-mans land..

6Z shows the way out of the pattern nicely as we finally see a relaxation of the systems running across the pond towards mid month..

I am not feeling optimistic at the moment especially after reading some posts in the stratosphere thread saying that the split is not looking favourable for the UK. Too much residual energy in the Atlantic. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.

This is not your run of the mill warming though is it?

Its effects and duration are longer lasting than we are accustomed to. Coupled with the MJO I see no need to panic whatsoever

image.thumb.png.68d17be06e40d90b4c587a3883873b0d.png

• Like 4

Posted

Gfs p flatter again between 120 and 144 hours!!look forward to more boring uk high!!its never ending!!

Further south and east at 174 hours compared to 00z but way better than normal gfs!!

Edited by shaky

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
12 minutes ago, Stonethecrows said:

A new year yet individual run tourettes as rife as ever. Still a case of one minute BOOM and talk of snowmageddon, then the next it's back to GLOOM and talk over winter over again seemingly forgetting everything else that's going on. Astonishing

I was think more along the lines of model-schizophrenia myself, STC...How can one not get a tad excited by the suggestion of sub -20C 850s, over Scandi?

Perish the thought (always assuming that the GFS hasn't been taken-over by Southern Trains!) that Snowmageddon might arrive two days' late...?:yahoo:

• Like 1

Posted

Still a few good looking GEFS out there.

2ABA0FBC-7CBB-4D11-9353-536D42E523C6.png

• Like 1