Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Hunt For Cold: Model Discussion - Heading Into Christmas

Paul
Message added by Paul

If you're hunting for cold potential in the model output, this thread is for you. But if you'd like to look more widely at the models, please head over to the general model discussion thread.

This is a model related thread, so a general, frequent theme of the model output is a given, but it will not be strictly enforced:

• Some topic drift, humorous responses etc are fine
  • Posts likely to lead the thread off on an entirely off topic tangent are not ok. For example (but not solely limited to): Posts entirely or mainly about Met Office, BBC or media forecasts with little or no model context, and posts solely asking for a weather forecast in a specific location.
  • Posts which start with something like 'I know this is off topic but ...' are not ok.
  • Posts which break the forum guidelines are not ok (eg trolling, troll-hunting, weather guilt tripping, overly defensive/aggressive, abusive, disrespectful to others)

Posted

Look I don't think the extended is without hope. Look at EPS D12

ec-ens_nat_z500scenarios_2018123112_288.

Most trough anomalies are east of its st this stage. That puts us in the zone for potential northerlies IF the jet relents to our north. Now I think the models are suffering a bit of a meltdown over the Atlantic jet at the moment. All I'm seeing is the downgrading of the Atlantic between D6 and D10. Will it then ramp up again, as some ensembles would like it to do? I think that supposition is very doubtful. 

I would suggest we are not far from a better Atlantic block developing, which would change everything. Tonight's GFS, by T360, doesn't fall far from that idea. 

Edited by Man With Beard
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
Just now, Man With Beard said:

Look I don't think the extended is without hope. Look at EPS D12

ec-ens_nat_z500scenarios_2018123112_288.

Most trough anomalies are east of its st this stage. That puts us in the zone for potential northerlies IF the jet relents to our north. Now I think the models are suffering a bit of a meltdown over the Atlantic jet at the moment. All I'm seeing is the downgrading of the Atlantic between D6 and D10. Will it then ramp up again, as some ensembles would like it to do? I think that supposition is very doubtful. 

I would suggest we are not far from a better Atlantic block developing, which would change everything. 

That 4th cluster growing from a few days ago - slowly but surely.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!
11 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Thats actually EC46 ish - just a week earlier in timing!!!!

I'm sticking-ish to my timetable, I thought 10 Jan, maybe push it to 15 Jan, we should  see something by then, if it's going to happen.  Fascinating model watching this slow evolution along side the SSW...no one with absolute certainty how it will pan out, 75% chance for coldies! that's as good as it gets this far out!

Posted

Key difference on the 18z GFS was the LP / short wave dropping south around t+180 which forced more WAA towards Greenland and lowered pressure to our south ...

976AE326-D5C1-45B7-BD17-A2F83527AD47.jpeg

Edited by Tim Bland
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)

GFS 300h + Is it plausible.....of course it is and after what us lot as at to put up with....bloody right it is....Happy New Year

C72192C4-440A-4EDB-9EE2-D5949D5598A5.thumb.png.95ae7436e4a8c052ab1eadda0d85f432.png

Edited by Dancerwithwings
  • Like 4

Posted
Just now, Tim Bland said:

Key difference on the 18z GFS was the LP sloping south around t+180 which forced more WAA towards Greenland and lowered pressure to our south 

976AE326-D5C1-45B7-BD17-A2F83527AD47.jpeg

The only problem with that run is your reliant on the dreaded trigger shortwave at serious range!!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!

That's actually an uncategorised purple alien species incoming from the north east at T384 on GFS, never seen one of those before, yikes!

image.thumb.jpg.92a61b601dd7938be0a5ac877cd2bc46.jpg

• Like 1

Posted
23 minutes ago, Tim Bland said:

I never doubted it for a second....honest

66B978F7-D113-4DF2-81D8-F408E661CB6F.png

It's looking better cold is showing it's hand at last

Posted
13 minutes ago, Mike Poole said:

That's actually an uncategorised purple alien species incoming from the north east at T384 on GFS, never seen one of those before, yikes!

image.thumb.jpg.92a61b601dd7938be0a5ac877cd2bc46.jpg

Marginal for snow I would have thought.

Edited by mountain shadow
  • Thanks 1

Posted
Just now, mountain shadow said:

Marginal for snow I would have thought.

Yes, in NW portugal.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)
5 minutes ago, BARRY said:

It's looking better cold is showing it's hand at last

Op was the main.....perb no8 is pudding :oldgrin:

FB07EFF9-5C74-43A0-AAF9-5CDA4A5C5124.thumb.png.8c8cdb7d0f1d2605059a8949a23ade43.pngAA6DAE76-4D82-4A65-B1C7-6B6C246CCEF3.thumb.png.8094acc2f767cf565543984c2c87d787.png

• Like 4

Posted
2 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

Mean anomalies at day 16

image.thumb.png.1615f2956f1320a50112aaefdfb32af9.png

Yes, some stonking output today, Strat FI much improved to the point that if it verified, really could be looking at bye bye vortex and hello blocking for the rest of winter.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: the weather extremes in general but my favourites are snow & thunderstorms

Happy new year to my fellow snaw freaks  

let’s hope the latest gfs comes to us all in the next few weeks and gives us the big freeze with massive snow drifts think we all deserve after this last week of gloom.

lets start to wax the sledges ready for the blizzards..........we can dream as it’s the end of the year

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, Steve Murr said:

Boom Boom

4E6D051E-09F5-4774-B502-6A3A809DE763.thumb.png.438d3a5666a7d2fd8e4225344774f241.png

Hello Steve / F1991 I’m not sure I understand this table! What do the numbers mean and the columns? Is it another way of articulating the 850s in table format instead of the lone graphs? 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, severe frost, freezing fog and summer sunshine
39 minutes ago, colonelks said:

That 384 chart is almost as ridiculous as me meeting a fellow Netweather cold hunter on the train back from Derby in February.

If we manage to get close to that then happy New Year!

I met one last Sunday in Aldi car park repairing my car under the guise of an AA patrol man!

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, TSNWK said:

Hello Steve / F1991 I’m not sure I understand this table! What do the numbers mean and the columns? Is it another way of articulating the 850s in table format instead of the lone graphs? 

Yes its the ENS filtered to ascending value in table format -

You can view it per scenario as well - its a quicker way of finding the cold runs !

B57C33E5-2C91-41CB-83CA-53576374F244.thumb.png.ac1beced869853dda7499ea7765f92bc.png

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3