Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Hunt For Cold: Model Discussion - Heading Into Christmas

Paul
Message added by Paul

If you're hunting for cold potential in the model output, this thread is for you. But if you'd like to look more widely at the models, please head over to the general model discussion thread.

This is a model related thread, so a general, frequent theme of the model output is a given, but it will not be strictly enforced:

• Some topic drift, humorous responses etc are fine
  • Posts likely to lead the thread off on an entirely off topic tangent are not ok. For example (but not solely limited to): Posts entirely or mainly about Met Office, BBC or media forecasts with little or no model context, and posts solely asking for a weather forecast in a specific location.
  • Posts which start with something like 'I know this is off topic but ...' are not ok.
  • Posts which break the forum guidelines are not ok (eg trolling, troll-hunting, weather guilt tripping, overly defensive/aggressive, abusive, disrespectful to others)

Posted

JN6-5.GIF?29-12

This is the straw we have to grasp, and it looks good enough (not quite as impressive as last Winter though) could be 3 or 4 weeks before this propagates down.

We are kind of desperate for a change now. 

• Like 2

Posted
5 minutes ago, The Eagle said:

JN6-5.GIF?29-12

This is the straw we have to grasp, and it looks good enough (not quite as impressive as last Winter though) could be 3 or 4 weeks before this propagates down.

Really? is this the first warming or the second?

Posted
23 hours ago, Nick F said:

Sorry can't delete above..

Alas, wish I had stayed away from model watching over the whole christmas period, as it really is like watching paint dry this christmas - high pressure just moving around like it is in a washing machine, going nowhere.. 

As others have said - if the effects of the SSW are not to be felt until at least 2 weeks later (by 14/15 Jan at earliest), then that gives the models a whole 10 days more of time before they begin to show the possible effects within the reliable - so not until about 8/9 Jan - can those hunting for cold withstand two more weeks of the models being less than convinced at least in the reliable.. probably not.

I expect this thread will be full of much impatience in the opening days of January - many people writing off winter posts etc.. wish I was going on holiday for a couple of weeks... as I will quickly grow tired of such posts.

In the meantime, its a case of watching the models show a slow painful death for the current high pressure, with I suspect the GFS going into full on zonal atlantic turbo charge for the period 8/9 - 15 Jan, the ECM holding the high in place for an eternity.

GFS is not without interest in fantasy land - mid atlantic heights and a northerly - this could be the eventual trigger to the cold later in January, with heights merging with heights over the Pole. It has a tendency to spot long term trends well beyond the reliable, ditch them, bring them back close to the medium term, do a quick u turn, then hold with them just within the reliable - I do rate it when it comes to developments to our NW, and it is often the first model to sniff out a northerly and height rises over Greenland, ECM does far better with scandi highs/ scandi troughs and siberian high advection - just my observations over many years of watching the models.

Edited by damianslaw
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
1 minute ago, london-snow said:

Really? is this the first warming or the second?

Thats practically an analysis chart from today.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
9 minutes ago, The Eagle said:

JN6-5.GIF?29-12

This one's even better?

image.thumb.png.345522dd9299de24b3360e1f0231847f.png

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
33 minutes ago, More Snow said:

well the latest bbc weather forecast was total dung. she said winds from the north west at least 3 times when the graphics clearly showed north or north east winds. 

You forgot the bit about the sinking high which wasn't shown by the graphics.

GFS beginning to follow ECMs lead in keeping the high in control. The exact place where the high ends up will decide whether we get a cold blast or mild air over the top.

Edited by lorenzo
removing off topic content
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow! Exciting weather!
1 minute ago, The PIT said:

You forgot the bit about the sinking high which wasn't shown by the graphics.

GFS beginning to follow ECMs lead in keeping the high in control. The exact place where the high ends up will decide whether we get a cold blast or mild air over the top.

Has the GFS not kept the limpet HP over us for all eternity in some runs already? eg the earlier run today for example! 

image.thumb.png.7de36101b8904ffc8b9a72e42efed4c2.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

I cannot understand how some of you are going off-topic so fast? It's not as if the thread is moving fast due to lots of posts!

I have hidden numerous ones. Don't take it personally, they are just not the place for them to be. So please, can we get back to normal?

Thanks.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

I think we should buy stakes in this high pressure. GFS smelling the coffee and gradually dropping the mobile Atlantic. 

Good chance the only cold we will see will be air trapped into the high pressure and possible inversions.

Edited by The PIT

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hurricanes, Thunderstorms and blizzards please!

Hope I'm not going to get into trouble with the mods, but here is a weather chart!!!!

Anyway, out to 216 and the 18z is showing more amplification over the UK vs 12z.  Small differences, but maybe the GFS is starting to get a handle on things?  Maybe a better day tomorrow?

image.thumb.png.64d83ef9d0b42c901b6538d4b050d8fe.png  image.thumb.png.2f349f1eff7f3f3b526a653f5759daf3.png

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme cold & snow
38 minutes ago, The Eagle said:

That's the warming now, today.

Thanks Eddie

Posted

That lobe of the strat vortex is going to be problematic i think, maybe the pro's mentioning late January as the timeframe could be that we are going to require another attack on the vortex and thats what the long range models are showing.

image.thumb.png.a5284c2fee28711bd6e10457f202f6d4.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold snow, thunderstorms
15 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

Is GFS thinking about splitting the PV?

It looks a very strong PV one has to say..

Doesn’t look to strong from this chart from the 7th

85A1E784-B075-45F8-B59C-753AB592779F.jpeg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)
23 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

Is GFS thinking about splitting the PV?

It looks a very strong PV one has to say..

No split going on there :unknw: HP, just flattened. 

But who cares I’m not taking anything seriously atm and especially the GFS.....unless it’s showing Narnia...let me know when you see mr Tumnus 

Edited by Dancerwithwings

Posted
19 minutes ago, Don said:

An increase in AAM, westerlies at 30N should mean good news for us.

Edited by feb1991blizzard
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
1 minute ago, feb1991blizzard said:

An increase in AAM, westerlies at 30N should mean good news for us.

Thanks, wasn't sure when he stated 'it's over' at the end!  I guess he meant the westerlies?

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Don said:

Thanks, wasn't sure when he stated 'it's over' at the end!  I guess he meant the westerlies?

He tweeetd earlier to say that things are on hold in the Pacific ..... probably a stagnant pattern for two weeks so we waste a fortnight of winter as we sit under the block ........

• Thanks 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, Don said:

I think thats what it means anyway - maybe one of our guru's could confirm.