Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Hunt For Cold: Model Discussion - Heading Into Christmas

Paul
Message added by Paul

If you're hunting for cold potential in the model output, this thread is for you. But if you'd like to look more widely at the models, please head over to the general model discussion thread.

This is a model related thread, so a general, frequent theme of the model output is a given, but it will not be strictly enforced:

• Some topic drift, humorous responses etc are fine
  • Posts likely to lead the thread off on an entirely off topic tangent are not ok. For example (but not solely limited to): Posts entirely or mainly about Met Office, BBC or media forecasts with little or no model context, and posts solely asking for a weather forecast in a specific location.
  • Posts which start with something like 'I know this is off topic but ...' are not ok.
  • Posts which break the forum guidelines are not ok (eg trolling, troll-hunting, weather guilt tripping, overly defensive/aggressive, abusive, disrespectful to others)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes n snow
1 hour ago, More Snow said:

Well living in Scotland i was still taking ice off the windscreen in the middle of may this year, and last year our first frost was at the start of October so if its frost etc that defines the start or finish of winter proper then we have an 8 month winter up here.

With the rest being midge season.....

Interesting  chart that, the fog could be dense and freezing next Saturday,  not a good day for travelling any distance through the Midlands.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

T+384 is loaded with potential, with lots of lovely cold air entrenched over Europe...Must mention the Iberian low too, before it disappears!:cold:

image.thumb.png.1d4f68f97a94797a662ab756742326c9.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)
3 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

T+384 is loaded with potential, with lots of lovely cold air entrenched over Europe...Must mention the Iberian low too, before it disappears!

image.thumb.png.1d4f68f97a94797a662ab756742326c9.png

It's like trying to polish a turd at the moment looking at the models..can only hope they improve in the new year..someone wave a magic wand already..please!!!:drunk-emoji:

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
8 minutes ago, Frosty. said:

It's like trying to polish a turd at the moment looking at the models..can only hope they improve in the new year..someone wave a magic wand already..please!!!:drunk-emoji:

preferably wave 2 large magic wands, one from the pacific sector, one from the atlantic sector joining in the middle through the pole, make them around 170000ft high as well.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
40 minutes ago, Tim Bland said:

I wonder which ‘models’ they are referring to ? Does  Meteogroup have access to Mogreps?

Probably the EC46.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and sunny summers, cold & snowy winters

Well, I can't really add anything, but will put up some colourful pictures. Hopefully, you'll find them interesting!

In the short term, looking at ICON there is a beautiful Foehn effect in evidence on Monday across eastern Scotland

Foehn.thumb.JPG.e0447dca303604689b3d0da7b391e8c1.JPG

And come 2nd Jan, there is a glancing blow with the -6 isotherm over Lincolnshire coast, East Anglia - and a general cooling trend.

1571944628_Glancing-6.thumb.JPG.ed105c9a4089caedc5dcdaa3c0809c0f.JPG

I won't show the chart with -25 isotherm extending past us into central Europe! I image dangerously cold temps over the Austrian Alps, exactly as Carintian alluded to a couple of days ago.

In the medium term, the GEM seems to pick up a different evolution to the others - with a colder 850 temp profile across the Atlantic and the UK from 7th Jan.
Of some concern is the -40 @ 850 growing and heading south over Hudson Bay, which would likely light the touch paper for the jet.

403936130_GEM2402m.thumb.JPG.e43bf8d2a04ae88e6595b5658b694de2.JPG

There really isn't much else to get excited about, just for now...
But while this is still happening...

1620666622_jmastrat.thumb.JPG.fffb17b4c01ea9bedcfd496c879369b7.JPG

I live in hope of a snowy salvation in the second half of Jan and into February.

image.png

Edited by Selliso
correction
  • Like 4

Posted
21 minutes ago, Frosty. said:

Good morning, my fellow autist...I do hate it when things refuse to go to plan...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold snow, thunderstorms
8 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

Well it would appear Mogreps is with ECM for next week, meto RAW now dropping temps like a stone for my location wed onwards with temps 2-4 daytime and sub zero at night..

Not backing GFS..

By Wednesday 4c thursday  1c Friday 1c all with an easterly wind for me in Somerset 

Edited by fromey
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow, Thunder storms and lightning
15 minutes ago, Frosty. said:

Well if we can't have snow, at least let us have some frost..I am Frosty after all!!

You know its bad when we're getting excited for a frost. Although i wouldn't kick a nice air frost out of bed at present.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold snow, thunderstorms
Posted

Looking at the GEFS 6z mean, high pressure eventually is replaced by this..a chance of snow..wouldn't kick this out of bed!:santa-emoji:❄️

snow_384_ps_slp.png

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.
32 minutes ago, Eastnorthwest said:

Has anyone noticed today's AO compared with yesterday's 

Almost complete flip from a forecast positive to a negative 

Rare you see that 

Now let's wait for the models follow with hints of northern blocking in the coming days 

Hello.....

image.thumb.png.64961bd94aedba2f105655072ca2945f.png

For those wanting to understand a little more

A negative AO and weak vortex … allow intrusions of cold air to plunge southward into North America, Europe, and Asia.

image.thumb.png.315195ff03a1b704ff4712f5384231b6.png

Edited by winterof79
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WINTERS WITH HEAVY DISRUPTIVE SNOWFALL AVRAGE SPRING HOT SUMMERS.

well if it’s any comfort to all at the moment the Met 6/30 day still sticking to mid jan cold spell win fog frost and snow 

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, bluearmy said:

a couple of ten day cold spells with decent snowfall would make it a good winter for coldies ..... and there is no reason to think that isn’t possible ....

Oh you are a tease blue..looking forward to the models eventually showing this!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)
1 minute ago, Frosty. said:

Oh you are a tease blue..looking forward to the models eventually showing this!

A tease you say Frosty....you ain’t far wrong....10 days lol...10mins will do me at the moment...only joking blue

Posted
11 minutes ago, Dancerwithwings said:

A tease you say Frosty....you ain’t far wrong....10 days lol...10mins will do me at the moment...only joking blue

Indeed, 1 snow flake would do for starters..really frustrating period we coldies are in at present..surely the only way is up..:santa-emoji:unlike in fawlty towers when the game was up..well a bit of game pie anyway..there is still plenty of winter left but I hope it starts showing soon!!

hqdefault.jpg

Edited by Frosty.
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Still waiting for something significant to develop but a couple of reassuring things to look at.

The last few days we have not seen any real effort to develop and truly cold and wintry pattern, on the other hand the most amplified solutions from the ECM have tended to pretty fairly close to the mark as the day 7 charts a few days back have been pretty much replicated whilst other models have moved to this. For me i think the models have tended to overdo the natural cooling over the pole trying to increase the strength of westerlies and now we are seeing this be moderated with high pressure remaining in place.

I guess we can hope for an amplified operational in the coming days  because it probably has a better chance than normal of verifying than normal given the background signals. Fingers crossed.....

• Like 6

Posted

After 16 years on NW, I still can't understand the fixation with AO-/NAO-values; surely you can see from the charts, everything you need know about them, including whether the expected setup will be east- or west-based...?

I'm not trying to be awkward, but, to me, it's a bit like my needing to get 'official' confirmation that the outside temperature is sub-zero, when everything outside is either knee-deep in drifting powder-snow or festooned with 10-foot-long icicles...

I can only assume that I'm missing something?

• Like 6

Posted

Plenty of positives today, I’m thinking we may see the best GEFS for a while today this next run as the SSW slowly catches on, maybe towards -4 mean towards FI with a few -10s. 

Edited by Ali1977
  • Like 1

Posted
4 hours ago, .jay said:

The toads in my garden pond are strongly of the opinion that spring starts on the 1st March.

The days are too long, the sun is too high and the average temps too warm to consider it as being winter... winter isn't just about how much wet snow is lying at 9 am.

HMMMMM

201803020128451519954125479.jpg

• Like 5