Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Hunt For Cold: Model Discussion - Heading Into Christmas

Paul
Message added by Paul

If you're hunting for cold potential in the model output, this thread is for you. But if you'd like to look more widely at the models, please head over to the general model discussion thread.

This is a model related thread, so a general, frequent theme of the model output is a given, but it will not be strictly enforced:

• Some topic drift, humorous responses etc are fine
  • Posts likely to lead the thread off on an entirely off topic tangent are not ok. For example (but not solely limited to): Posts entirely or mainly about Met Office, BBC or media forecasts with little or no model context, and posts solely asking for a weather forecast in a specific location.
  • Posts which start with something like 'I know this is off topic but ...' are not ok.
  • Posts which break the forum guidelines are not ok (eg trolling, troll-hunting, weather guilt tripping, overly defensive/aggressive, abusive, disrespectful to others)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters and hot, sunny summers!
6 minutes ago, SLEETY said:

Why is the gfs always at the top line in that extended ensemble pack. 

Because it's the only way the GFS can ever be considered "top line" past +144h 

Excellent progress in the output as the zonal onslaught is at the very least abating in the medium term and with it come improved prospects for cold.  Still very much a case of wait and see where the cards fall post-SSW though; would love to see the verification stats of the models historically through these events to highlight how much our old friend shannon entropy goes haywire throughout such period - experience tells us all that following anything other than trends is as enlightening as a mirror in a dark room...

Stark differences at +240h, but enough to offer encouragement

image.thumb.png.08e85e67e94ce2c5e4d56ea98e373044.pngimage.thumb.png.52112a9a99d040627179fafd22c8b74f.pngimage.thumb.png.96f867ed5f0796ef425f2a397e0535d3.png

image.thumb.png.739c996bab300d42aa97911331988583.pngimage.thumb.png.8affab9044a8e0d82d26e459afc07ac7.png

GFSP showing a blocked setup that with some adjustments could lead to retrogression up Greeny-way, ECM taking a slower route but is perhaps looking more favourable post day 10, while  our *ahem* favourite model NAVGEM throws us a stonker at +180h.

Meanwhile, the GFS/JEM/JMA didn't get the memo at all and show an atlantic profile flatter than that bottle of beer I just found left out from Christmas...

Let's see where this takes us, but for now, savour this...

image.thumb.png.9af3fd78f35498b6067e57c9ed2c0202.png

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes
8 hours ago, ICE COLD said:

Where’s @IDO gone . Lovely run from the ECM and the para very good too . Some nice cold days and frosty nights if that comes of .

D12C9207-5D89-44A5-A579-A2F7D39D4956.png

I thought I'd pop in just to say good night and long live the ecm.

• Like 1

Posted

Not a good start!!could not build on the positives from last night and so the boredom continues!!everything further east and ukmo at 144 hours looks to be sinking the high back south east!!so frustrating!!

• Like 1

Posted

Yep another cold spell which is not going to make it again. 3rd time now, at least the first attempt at a proprr cold spell actually gave us a bit of snow before the Atlantic pushed through. 

Still nevermind only have to wait till mid month then the proper cold and snow is arriving, , going have to see some amazing fl charts soon, before that  chance of a proper spell of cold and snowy weather gets pushed back till end of Jan, then early Feb, then mid Feb.... .

Edited by SLEETY
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, SLEETY said:

Yep another cold spell which is not going to make it again. 3rd time now, at least the first attempt at a proprr cold spell actually gave us a bit of snow before the Atlantic pushed through. 

Still nevermind only have to wait till mid month then the proper cold and snow is arriving, , going have to see some amazing fl charts soon, before that get pushed back till end of Jan, then early Feb....

This so far has to be one of the most rubbish winters ive endured!!!its been a winter of  nothing lol!!so boring its unbelievable!!it really is on par with the winters of 2015/16 2016/17 and very similar to a 90s winter and unless things change i cant see where all the cold and snow is coming from anytime soon!!if it wasnt for this ssw to give us this hope we would be in serious trouble right now!!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

Very interesting potential development this morning,

GfS Op and UKMO may be underwhelming but within GFS ensembles there are several members that want to drop a trough down from Iceland sliding down the E flank of the ridge around 120 through 144

This has the effect of greatly sharpening up and amplifying the pattern. Let's see if any the other models go for it.

Below are a a trio of examples but there are quite a few to suggest this a very plausible new development - just the timing and positioning is a little different but the upshot is always a more amplified pattern.

gensnh-10-1-120.pnggensnh-10-1-144.png

gensnh-9-1-120.pnggensnh-9-1-150.png

gensnh-20-1-120.pnggensnh-20-1-150.png

Not sure why there is a sudden willingness to drop troughs S/SE rather push them more E/SE but if it is a trend it is good news.

Edited by Mucka
  • Like 5

Posted

We have improving GEFS again, several very good in FI 

A32CAEAB-6E16-4C92-9F27-26690BE6BBAB.png

C7517AF9-B7C1-4D68-9A45-28918F9F3E76.png

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry mild or snow winter. Hot and humid summer.

Gfs mean we’ll into fi. Look at ‘ signal’ imo for high pressure over the North Pole area. Running through the gefs there are many that have this all be it that they are positioned in slightly different areas as you would expect at this time frame. I didn’t save the mean from the last 4/5 days but this looks quiet different now to what it has been showing.

1C3BFA4A-88EA-46C6-9807-2CC08F57A87E.png

Edited by That ECM

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry mild or snow winter. Hot and humid summer.

T240 hard to be much different. interesting to watch the various runs over the next couple of days but trying to make a forecast is going to be very difficult for anything past 4/5 days. 

44C28383-AEEA-43FA-8854-377076CB6652.png

484613F3-4D8A-4774-BE7A-E14621309904.png

Posted

I think ECM day 10 ties in quite well with Exeter’s outlook, they then talk of a cool wet breakdown before possible cold. Is this likely to come fro the HP sliding west introducing a zonal/polar flow mix before the HP then moves North as the PV weakens - who knows!! 

B5FE025E-E6D8-44D9-806D-906EFE11B0FA.png

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Four true seasons. Hot summers and cold winters.

I like the renewed push of cold from the weakening vortex at my location at day 10 on this run. 

ECH1-240 (5).gif

ECH0-240 (2).gif

• Like 1

Posted

EC again the better op this morning looking across the suites..

HP bringing cold and frosty weather next week before it re aligns and gets pulled west..

After that, we wait and hope for retrogression..

Posted

Well a certain member said to me several days ago that we will be seeing some OMFG ' jaw dropping charts very soon . Well there really isn't much is there ? 

I don't see anything that's out of the ordinary , the smallest crumb of comfort is what GFS control showed in deepest FI.

I mentioned a week or so ago that we aren't even seeing much in the way of eye candy charts , that still hasn't changed I'm afraid .

• Like 3

Posted
14 minutes ago, Ali1977 said:

I think ECM day 10 ties in quite well with Exeter’s outlook, they then talk of a cool wet breakdown before possible cold. Is this likely to come fro the HP sliding west introducing a zonal/polar flow mix before the HP then moves North as the PV weakens - who knows!! 

B5FE025E-E6D8-44D9-806D-906EFE11B0FA.png

Agreed...

The latter is for sure an aspiration..

Certainly now is the time for looking for signs of the vortex losing strength day 10 and beyond..

It might not happen of course..we gotta wait, and hope

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Banbury said:

Well a certain member said to me several days ago that we will be seeing some OMFG ' jaw dropping charts very soon . Well there really isn't much is there ? 

I don't see anything that's out of the ordinary , the smallest crumb of comfort is what GFS control showed in deepest FI.

I mentioned a week or so ago that we aren't even seeing much in the way of eye candy charts , that still hasn't changed I'm afraid .

Again i agree with most of this...

All we can do is wait and hope..

Posted
4 minutes ago, Banbury said:

Give it a week...48hrs even. Maximum Patients required. If after another week when mid Jan gets modelled in the slightly more reliable then you can get despondent!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

ECM back to the default underlying pattern in our sector for what seems forever:

tempresult_grp3.gif

UK HP domination. With a Pacific mini wave downstream pushing east, not sure there is going to be retrogression west of this high, more squeezing and maybe oscillating close to the UK.

The GFS is less Atlantic obsessed, at least means wise, not too dissimilar to the GEM at D10:

gem-0-240.thumb.png.ccf3bfa5d02d04ea3167dc0d654921ba.pnggens-21-1-240.thumb.png.73cdd7b9fbc349abe1b5b29816842aec.png

It is clear that some variance in how the current setup moves forward. All models have been bad for verification around the D10 mark so no clues there. By the end of the weekend the SSW finer details should be clearer and hopefully, the models will have found agreement!

• Like 3

Posted
2 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

Again i agree with most of this...

All we can do is wait and hope..

There really isn't much , in the ENS there is some agreement out to the 3rd thereafter its all over the shop. 

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Chertseystreamer79 said:

Give it a week...48hrs even. Maximum Patients required. If after another week when mid Jan gets modelled in the slightly more reliable then you can get despondent!

Hope there are enough hospitals then 

• Like 1

Posted

I remember watching Gav P's excellent seasonal model round up . Models were favouring HLB for DJF , the 'D' has all but vanished , currently as I type 'J' isn't showing much in the way of HLB .

Posted
4 minutes ago, Banbury said:

I remember watching Gav P's excellent seasonal model round up . Models were favouring HLB for DJF , the 'D' has all but vanished , currently as I type 'J' isn't showing much in the way of HLB .

Once again, goes to show how far we have come in terms of pattern forecasting....not very far at all ! Ecm in particular seems to have been dishing out HLB forecasts for what seems like an eternity now, as you correctly point our a third of the forecast has failed all ready.

On the plus side, it should turn colder and frosty as we loose this cloudy muck, ironically as we return to work. Can't see anything on the horizon regarding snow unfortunately, even gfs north westerlies seem to have all but vanished. Hopefully ecm is more on the money.

• Like 4

Posted
2 minutes ago, KTtom said:

Once again, goes to show how far we have come in terms of pattern forecasting....not very far at all ! Ecm in particular seems to have been dishing out HLB forecasts for what seems like an eternity now, as you correctly point our a third of the forecast has failed all ready.

On the plus side, it should turn colder and frosty as we loose this cloudy muck, ironically as we return to work. Can't see anything on the horizon regarding snow unfortunately, even gfs north westerlies seem to have all but vanished. Hopefully ecm is more on the money.

Yep , fair comment and as you say hopefully some chiller seasonal days with maybe some frost thrown in.

I should add I'm not a great believer in pattern matching , there are so many variables to our weather something will always throw a spanner in the works of the forecast.

Edited by Banbury
  • Like 2

Posted

you  can put put a cross in half of january xs well,so that six weeks left to see this HLB ,that the meto office and other seasonal  models were predicting was going to be the most likely outcome during the winter,off course you wouldn’t expect it solid for 3 months,but we had hardly seen any at all.

Time to consign these longe range models to the shredder,still miles away from able to predict months in advance.

• Like 8