Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Hunt For Cold: Model Discussion - Heading Into Christmas

Paul
Message added by Paul

If you're hunting for cold potential in the model output, this thread is for you. But if you'd like to look more widely at the models, please head over to the general model discussion thread.

This is a model related thread, so a general, frequent theme of the model output is a given, but it will not be strictly enforced:

• Some topic drift, humorous responses etc are fine
  • Posts likely to lead the thread off on an entirely off topic tangent are not ok. For example (but not solely limited to): Posts entirely or mainly about Met Office, BBC or media forecasts with little or no model context, and posts solely asking for a weather forecast in a specific location.
  • Posts which start with something like 'I know this is off topic but ...' are not ok.
  • Posts which break the forum guidelines are not ok (eg trolling, troll-hunting, weather guilt tripping, overly defensive/aggressive, abusive, disrespectful to others)

Posted
1 hour ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Whats the composition of the upper cold clustering, ie - mainly Northerly, mainly Easterly or combination of both?

Both - key thing seems to be a reduction in the oomph in the Atlantic, rather than a specific type of block. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Posted
5 minutes ago, Singularity said:

It’s the extra-tropical forcing captured by the GWO heading through phases 5-6 as AAM surges upward

Rarley do I outright dismiss a model run from just a week’s range onward but the GFS 18z deserves that treatment. At least there are hints of a less organised vortex but otherwise... try again GFS!

Yeah im really struggling with the way the op GFS runs are dealing with the setup, the way it is effortlessly brushing our high to the side after doing a real shoddy job to start with.

Interesting to note that the GFS para has higher resolution and is starting to see a different solution to the GFS op run at 144hrs. Doesn't necessarily mean any prolonged cold yet, but sets up the pattern in a way that if the AO did tank we'd get a pretty rapid response here.

Posted
6 minutes ago, blizzard81 said:

Another upgrade alert! So many it's untrue

gfsnh-0-138.png

gfsnh-0-114.png

Upgrading what? There’s not a plausible way the chart leads to anything noteworthy, the lobe of death and pressure to our south being the biggest problems, the only possible way is the undercut and that won’t happen because the high has nowhere to go so just keeps building. Upgrades if you live in Greece maybe.

• Like 2

Posted

Really liking the look of the GFS 18z para. That low over Finland looks like it will sink naturally under rising pressure on it's north west flank - our possible scandi high

gfsnh-0-156.png

• Like 3

Posted
4 minutes ago, Weathizard said:

Upgrading what? There’s not a plausible way the chart leads to anything noteworthy, the lobe of death and pressure to our south being the biggest problems, the only possible way is the undercut and that won’t happen because the high has nowhere to go so just keeps building. Upgrades if you live in Greece maybe.

Did you not view the GFS 12z Para or for that matter the ongoing 18z para?

• Like 4

Posted
6 minutes ago, Weathizard said:

Are you saying you don't see any potential in this chart at all? Are you not seeing any upgrades today at all? Seriously?

gfsnh-0-192.png

• Like 3

Posted
7 minutes ago, Weathizard said:

There's no plausible way apart from the way it's going then?

First signs of a southerly tracking jet that wants to undercut the high. Amen. 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW AND FREEZING TEMPS
5 minutes ago, kold weather said:

Id suggest the para GFS by 192hrs would be getting pretty cold at the surface, SE drift often results in stubborn fog and pretty surpressed maxes.

Also the ensembles are slowly improving again in general.

Looks freezing by day

45C89D66-B0CF-48E3-A57E-9B14764AFC87.png

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
30 minutes ago, blizzard81 said:

The burning question is why more Nina than Nino? I wonder if anybody has any theories on this?

Anomolous trade surge in the eastern pacific.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
10 minutes ago, blizzard81 said:

Did you not view the GFS 12z Para or for that matter the ongoing 18z para?

I’m watching it roll out right now, and whilst it’s more interesting than some of the other dross being modelled at the moment it’s still not going to lead anywhere significant.

Call me a glass half empty but even with these significant upgrades as you suggest, there’s really nothing THAT significant showing up, until that lobe of the vortex moves or is impacted by the SSW it’s going to be a serious struggle in my opinion, I also think a GH is radically more likely than a scandi one.

Just my personal opinion but I’m looking longer term.

Edited by Weathizard
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW AND FREEZING TEMPS

T240 on the para . Freezing at ground level . Bringing the soil temps down , ready for the dumpings of snow that’s coming ?

6B3D6C9E-E6EE-43CD-9394-4D42A94A9534.png

• Like 6

Posted
12 minutes ago, Weathizard said:

I’m watching it roll out right now, and whilst it’s more interesting than some of the other dross being modelled at the moment it’s still not going to lead anywhere significant.

Call me a glass half empty but even with these significant upgrades as you suggest, there’s really nothing THAT significant showing up, until that lobe of the vortex moves or is impacted by the SSW it’s going to be a serious struggle in my opinion, I also think a GH is radically more likely than a scandi one.

Just my personal opinion but I’m looking longer term.

I respect your opinions just like I respect everyone else's opinions on this forum. Time will tell as always. Onto the 00z runs. I for one will be looking for further amplification upgrades that we have seen throughout the course of today.

• Like 3

Posted

Latest fax chart for next weds - first day back to work for many, including me.The cold, seasonal feel with frost all day and possible freezing fog will make the return to work more bearable for me  Also an impressive surge of cold into mainland Europe. We will be very grateful for this a week or so down the line.

fax120s.gif

Edited by blizzard81
  • Like 5

Posted

Another failed attempt at much colder weather unless the high has been modeled wrong, needs to be 500 miles further n and w. What a frustrating country UK is for cold, should all just visit Canada in January, save all the frustration in here every single winter

• Like 2

Posted
7 minutes ago, SLEETY said:

Another failed attempt at much colder weather unless the high has been modeled wrong, needs to be 500 miles further n and w. What a frustrating country UK is for cold, should all just visit Canada in January, save all the frustration in here every single winter

We really could be in a much more dismal position as we enter a new year. In fact I can't remember entering a New Year on such a cold, anticyclonic note. 

archivesnh-1983-1-1-0-0.png

archivesnh-2014-1-1-0-0.png

archivesnh-2015-1-1-0-0.png

archivesnh-1988-1-1-0-0.png

archivesnh-2016-1-1-0-0.png

• Like 2