Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Hunt For Cold: Model Discussion - Heading Into Christmas

Paul
Message added by Paul

If you're hunting for cold potential in the model output, this thread is for you. But if you'd like to look more widely at the models, please head over to the general model discussion thread.

This is a model related thread, so a general, frequent theme of the model output is a given, but it will not be strictly enforced:

• Some topic drift, humorous responses etc are fine
  • Posts likely to lead the thread off on an entirely off topic tangent are not ok. For example (but not solely limited to): Posts entirely or mainly about Met Office, BBC or media forecasts with little or no model context, and posts solely asking for a weather forecast in a specific location.
  • Posts which start with something like 'I know this is off topic but ...' are not ok.
  • Posts which break the forum guidelines are not ok (eg trolling, troll-hunting, weather guilt tripping, overly defensive/aggressive, abusive, disrespectful to others)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hurricanes, Thunderstorms and blizzards please!

Out to 192 and it looks to be lining up?

image.thumb.png.6627ea92bf6613876539bcd22ab4eb02.png  image.thumb.png.cf7a4af7a9c8c8eb181721b603898057.png

Getting tantalisingly close now!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunder & Lightning, Thundersnow, Storms, Heatwave

A big improvement!

Split across the pole too.

60BD3107-5361-4B4A-BBAB-E5BF79D929D5.png

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal

Hmmmm, where is that Azores High headed on the ECM 12z at 192?

ECMOPNH12_192_1.thumb.png.d7343186de49941b95d37ff4b85d04c8.png

Encouraging!

Posted

Messy but interesting sums up the ECM so far. Shortwave energy flying all over the place .

Another one over the North Sea at day 8.

Overall miles better than the GFS.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
3 minutes ago, tomjwlx said:

192!!!!!!

Capture.thumb.PNG.b2a413fc8a8ed5d58a5dad5c2c6bc45c.PNG

good chart, potential ice days there, miles better than the absolute crap GFS 06Z was going for, Atlantic in on 4th

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, Steve Murr said:

Where did all them zonal runs go...

997871FB-B4E9-4537-A6C9-4A1382B492FA.thumb.jpeg.70a5ffbdcf1d90c6fbb9fd1ce1ea88d2.jpeg

Atlantic what Atlantic ! Very encouraging from the ECM so far .

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

ECH1-192.GIF?28-0

It is going to need a little help this run, no quick route to cold (upper air) but a slow burner.

It sets us up nicely in the run up to the New Year.

Edited by Mucka

Posted

Here was me worrying Chris Fawkes had access to GLOSEA when in actual fact he was basing his no downwelling fearmongering on the GEFS . It is the very worst of the most common stratosphere models.

Posted
1 minute ago, Mucka said:

ECH1-192.GIF?28-0

It is going to need a little help this run, no quick route to cold but a slow burner.

It sets us up nicely int he run up tot he New Year.

It has the right idea though. Iceland/the sea above the UK should be a low pressure no go zone during the first week of Jan.

Posted
1 minute ago, Mucka said:

ECH1-192.GIF?28-0

It is going to need a little help this run, no quick route to cold but a slow burner.

It sets us up nicely int he run up tot he New Year.

Can I have some of what you are drinking please

• Like 1

Posted

Meto announcement late this afternoon:

We can confirm a sudden stratospheric warming is underway high up in the atmosphere, however this does not mean we will end up with a 'Beast from the East' and heavy snowfall," Nicola Maxey of the Met Office said. "The impacts from this event take around two weeks to be felt at ground level and as of yet it is too early to say exactly how this event will impact the weather here in the UK." She continued: "It was a similar situation that resulted in the cold weather we experienced in February and March however an SSW does not always result in heavy snowfall. "It often leads to a blocking pattern which disrupts the westerly weather patterns that are predominate in the UK."

• Like 2
  • Thanks 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy
1 hour ago, LRD said:

Afraid to say that I agree. GFS has even dropped the idea of a NW'ly or N'ly in FI now. 

I also agree with Frosty - I don't want this very boring high hanging around for much longer. The MO see an unsettled spell as a precursor to the cold weather that they are still seeing for the 2nd half of January, so surely it's a good thing if this high gets out of the way? It hanging around like a bad smell is just eating time

For all those worrying, here’s a refreshing example of how quick things can turn around. 

43DCA403-DF02-4D20-B473-672576E21FEB.png

C574C5D0-6909-495D-8C94-CEBE4AE94B38.png

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
1 minute ago, East_England_Stormchaser91 said:

For all those worrying, here’s a refreshing example of how quick things can turn around. 

43DCA403-DF02-4D20-B473-672576E21FEB.png

C574C5D0-6909-495D-8C94-CEBE4AE94B38.png

Lovely Siberian ridge there

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

chance of fog/rime frost? can look as good as snow! 2 fingers up to earlier GFS cold zonal runs!

ECM1-216.GIF?28-0

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry mild or snow winter. Hot and humid summer.

I’m always a little concerned that when we have 2 outputs like this we end some where in the middle. We may get nearer to the ecm but we actually need the ecm to back west from where it is and I’m doubting that will happen. There is still time but I think it’s another  close call but not not close enough. 

3654713E-1948-43A4-BD4A-BE166F997638.png

FECBBC0F-7801-464E-A054-E7F8A0431EC5.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!
1 minute ago, A Frayed Knot said:

Can I have some of what you are drinking please

Not sure what you mean. You could see by 192 there was no easterly with energy over the top and no undercut.

Like I said, a slow burner with reinforcements required. 

Let's hope the models can keep improving the cold chances over the next few days but as yet there is no "cold signal," only the promise one may be around the corner.

fingers crossed.

• Like 2

Posted

And the ecm goes confused.com at day 9. No worries from me though. Don't go beyond day 5 at the moment. Anyone who can't see the short term upgrades today need to go to specsavers. Most of the best cold spells are born out of upgrades at very short notice. 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!

ECM T240:

image.thumb.jpg.812f98c777cbb2d7d9c5be9968049a9b.jpg

I think we're now at the point wrt SSW that we can get a rapid change in model output in 10 day timeframe, and that is what we are seeing.

Edited by Mike Poole
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal
Just now, blizzard81 said:

And the ecm goes confused.com at day 9. No worries from me though. Don't go beyond day 5 at the moment. Anyone who can't see the short term upgrades today need to go to specsavers. Most of the best cold spells are born out of upgrades at very short notice. 

ECM 240 looks ok. Can definitely see a route to a cold pattern for the UK from that

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, blizzard81 said:

It won't take much by the ECM tweaking day 5+ to have the forum in meltdown.

It would be great to have cross model support for a cold spell by New Year.

• Like 1

Posted
10 minutes ago, Snowy L said:

Here was me worrying Chris Fawkes had access to GLOSEA when in actual fact he was basing his no downwelling fearmongering on the GEFS . It is the very worst of the most common stratosphere models.

How do you know he was using GEFS and not GLOSEA?