Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Hunt For Cold: Model Discussion - Heading Into Christmas

Paul
Message added by Paul

If you're hunting for cold potential in the model output, this thread is for you. But if you'd like to look more widely at the models, please head over to the general model discussion thread.

This is a model related thread, so a general, frequent theme of the model output is a given, but it will not be strictly enforced:

• Some topic drift, humorous responses etc are fine
  • Posts likely to lead the thread off on an entirely off topic tangent are not ok. For example (but not solely limited to): Posts entirely or mainly about Met Office, BBC or media forecasts with little or no model context, and posts solely asking for a weather forecast in a specific location.
  • Posts which start with something like 'I know this is off topic but ...' are not ok.
  • Posts which break the forum guidelines are not ok (eg trolling, troll-hunting, weather guilt tripping, overly defensive/aggressive, abusive, disrespectful to others)

Posted

I totally understand people's disappointment. The charts would have been a bit easier to accept if we had some cold and snow already but we clearly haven't and the wait continues.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes
3 minutes ago, mulzy said:

Don’t forget potential too!

Patience and potential may sum up winter 18/19!

Anyway, the NWP is largely dreadful.  Jan 15th remains the date though.

Well 15th January is my birthday can't see anything happening then.

As the stratosphere has split the vortex but blocking not able to get anywhere that would benefit us.

In fact it looks to benefit the local wild life and daffodils.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius

The winter of the 3 P's ..Potential, Patience and Pee'd off

Ecm showed some potential yesterday and numerous times post day 10 earlier this month ...have we got anywhere?...answer no.

Makes me smirk now the date 15th January is etched in everybody's heads, I wonder how realistically it will be that we'll get cold conditions around that date?

Edited by Froze were the Days
  • Like 2

Posted

I keep feeling disappointed with the models but then i remember last winter, it took a while for us get the Easterly, but it happened eventually and boy did it deliver 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers
13 minutes ago, Banbury said:

Means absolutely nothing , talk all day long about a SSW , ABC or whatever you want but it doesn't guarantee snow or cold.

The biggest indicator anyone on any weather forum can use is the Met outlook , as it stands there isn't anything concrete from the Met

Ok that’s fine, just make sure you pop back in come mid Jan and say :oops: I got it wrong  

the operationals will flip and indeed flop now for a number of days! If you don’t think that’s the case fair enough.. but I’m utterly convinced that’s exactly what’s going to happen. 

Edited by karlos1983
  • Like 4

Posted
2 minutes ago, ChezWeather said:

I keep feeling disappointed with the models but then i remember last winter, it took a while for us get the Easterly, but it happened eventually and boy did it deliver 

Injury time winner...will lightning strike twice if we're struggling come February? I doubt it.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.
1 minute ago, Froze were the Days said:

The winter of the 3 P's ..Potential, Patience and Pee'd off

Ecm showed some potential yesterday and numerous times post day 10 earlier this month ...have we got anywhere?...answer no.

The winter so far of the 3 M's.. Mild, Mud and Miserable.. 

C

• Like 3

Posted
16 minutes ago, mulzy said:

Why Jan 15th ?

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, Banbury said:

Why Jan 15th ?

Cause the good ol' MetO 30 dayer forecast says from 'mid-month' (as if they've been that accurate this late Autumn/Winter).

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL

Bet as Soon as the decorations are down the models will improve regards  to cold. 

Posted
9 minutes ago, karlos1983 said:

Ok that’s fine, just make sure you pop back in come mid Jan and say :oops: I got it wrong  

the operationals will flip and indeed flop now for a number of days! If you don’t think that’s the case fair enough.. but I’m utterly convinced that’s exactly what’s going to happen. 

I haven't got anything wrong? I cant see any charts for mid Jan, I am commenting on what I currently see. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, Snow, Thunder
23 minutes ago, mulzy said:

I've been away a couple of days... I take it January 7th is no longer when we should be expecting the big freeze? (I saw that date mentioned by a few on here on Christmas eve). It does all seem to be getting delayed bit by bit lol! 

• Like 1

Posted

Yep, today’s chart output pretty pants all in all.

The emerging pressure build in GL could and should have been quite interesting but whilst we have both a fairly strong SW-NE flow and high pressure centred below us with absolutely no supporting lower pressure below, it is difficult to see how any Atlantic ridging isn’t going to just get unceremoniously flattened each time. 

It really does seem like, right now, the quickest route to cold (and that is 10 day+) is high pressure build ‘in round the back’ and into Western GL with more of a NW -SE jet. Would probably mean a potentially wet and stormy interim period beforehand though. 

That is of course not to totally discount the models are reading this all totally wrong. The strat zonal winds are slowing down at a great rate of knots (little effect on the near term, I know) and the MJO is a week from going into amplified P6, which ought to improve effectiveness of Atlantic ridging. There’s a lot of big and non-standard forces at work here. Like I say, perhaps they are just reading it all wrong and will flip tomorrow. Just to confirm, I still am talking about the 10 day mark here. I see very little hope before that point.

Its not called the rollercoaster for nothing on here. Maybe this is the dip before a massive big climb over the next few days. I remain optimistic winter is on the way. Just not quite yet.

The only saving grace for me, I thought I had chosen the worst week to go to the lower Western Alps skiing (saved only by a good December base snowfall), it is now looking like next week will be worse, with no snow as well.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Horizontal Drizzle - Nice Blizzards

h500slp.thumb.png.e5545d82aee41a0c370004939da2753f.png

• Thanks 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Froze were the Days said:

Cause the good ol' MetO 30 dayer forecast says from 'mid-month' (as if they've been that accurate this late Autumn/Winter).

And also it's what the long range/teleconnections posters have been saying for the last few weeks. It's over twenty days away, it's extremely unlikely that the 10 day chart of the ECM will verify exactly as it is but even if it did there would still be a further 10 days for things to change. If things turn out anything like expected then we should start to see the building blocks of a cold spell come into range over the next week to 10 days. If in 10 days we are in the same position as now then fair enough we can start worrying.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold ,snow
12 minutes ago, Froze were the Days said:

I'd be very wary pinning my hopes on there forcasts regarding any specific time!!! Any new members should be careful not to get there hopes up esp with a SSW and where the dice fall.tbh during SSW or not we should see at least s cold spell imo

Edited by swfc
  • Like 2

Posted
9 minutes ago, Banbury said:

I haven't got anything wrong? I cant see any charts for mid Jan, I am commenting on what I currently see. 

Calm down, just said what’s been well documented over the last god knows how many days. This isn’t your standard winter setup right now, if it was I’d agree with what your saying. I’m saying we WILL see charts you dream of in the next days start to roll out.. followed probably by oh my god winters over charts the very next run (if you’re that way inclined). Fact remains we are potentially on the cusp of something amazing. Disagree with that then that’s fine by me... move on. 

Edited by karlos1983
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

Looking at the latest models, changes are likely to be very slow with just variations on the generally anticyclonic theme..the longer term wintry signal is still out of range of the gfs so it's a case of being patient and hoping for BIG changes once we get into early January when mid Jan will be in range..hopefully some stonking output to look forward to by then!!!!.:santa-emoji:

Edited by Frosty.
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep cold

Extended EPS look pretty naff to me out to 9th Jan, didn’t bother looking any further. Looks flat & zonal unfortunately

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: the weather extremes in general but my favourites are snow & thunderstorms

Trouble is it’s now starting to feel like ages since we had some decent consistent charts to look at let alone get closer, so far it’s all very very poo, the patience is already wearing thin for quite a few including myself. Why is it so hard to get some proper winter weather in this part of the world.

oh it’s that big mass of water to our west that is our main problem.

oh well there’s always feb to look forward too  

seriously now I’m sure there will be a sudden flip in our charts soon... there has to be hasn’t there??

• Like 1

Posted

Here’s are starting point.....

377E69D6-8CA4-4178-92D1-C2D78982C78A.thumb.png.58708095258c8580fc504e962ba50600.png

take shannon and raise her a Monkey, it’s fair to say the models (all of them) are going to struggle for the foreseeable. 

Will there be a QTR, won’t there? Where will high pressure setup shop Over the pole, where or how will cold air advect and in which direction! Give them a break

very boring all this  model watch init.....errrr NO

Edited by karlos1983
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowfall

People understandably somewhat deflated and bore with the output at the moment. The only thing I would caution in that regard is that taking GFS  or ECM as gospel at 10 or 16 days is as silly as me saying winter is going to start tomorrow. Having studied practically every cold/snowy spell and starts of great winters of the last 140 odd years in some detail. All I would say is that the synoptics that brought many of them changed from very unpromising set ups to stellar in matter of two or three days. 

My personal feeling at the moment is FI is actually about 120 to144 ATM. Take anything beyond that with a decent pinch of salt.

Edited by Broadmayne blizzard
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)
2 minutes ago, Northern Sky said:

And also it's what the long range/teleconnections posters have been saying for the last few weeks. It's over twenty days away, it's extremely unlikely that the 10 day chart of the ECM will verify exactly as it is but even if it did there would still be a further 10 days for things to change. If things turn out anything like expected then we should start to see the building blocks of a cold spell come into range over the next week to 10 days. If in 10 days we are in the same position as now then fair enough we can start worrying.

Thank god someone is talking sense, I’ve always thought the downward effects of SSW can take several weeks to show itself (data) so why peeps here keep on looking at the models (240h to 300h +) and expecting ❄️❄️❄️ is beyond me.

• Thanks 1