Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Hunt For Cold: Model Discussion - Heading Into Christmas

Paul
Message added by Paul

If you're hunting for cold potential in the model output, this thread is for you. But if you'd like to look more widely at the models, please head over to the general model discussion thread.

This is a model related thread, so a general, frequent theme of the model output is a given, but it will not be strictly enforced:

• Some topic drift, humorous responses etc are fine
  • Posts likely to lead the thread off on an entirely off topic tangent are not ok. For example (but not solely limited to): Posts entirely or mainly about Met Office, BBC or media forecasts with little or no model context, and posts solely asking for a weather forecast in a specific location.
  • Posts which start with something like 'I know this is off topic but ...' are not ok.
  • Posts which break the forum guidelines are not ok (eg trolling, troll-hunting, weather guilt tripping, overly defensive/aggressive, abusive, disrespectful to others)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW AND FREEZING TEMPS
Just now, evans1892 said:

Surely not too difficult to get the cold in from there.

gfs-1-384.png

gfsc.png

Yep brutal cold in Europe ?

Posted

Need to be seeing more of this FI in the coming days -

GFS also splits the vortex late on ...

Slightly better end to another difficult day for coldies-

At least the rain has now stopped, thats a relief..

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme cold & snow

This is not the first time that this scenario has shown up in FI

image.thumb.png.7a5305d9bfdb137574dd5eedaaa04087.pngimage.thumb.png.0ca25ee6058b94c1f22654d0b7760649.png

NH profile

image.thumb.png.ac457c5ba1aeffa60ac22e82e6e3ee98.png

GFS is often quite canny at picking up the longer term signals.

Anyway - merry Christmas all....

• Like 2

Posted

You couldn't make it up though could you on this run... 

Most of the artic spills into europe and would probably end up with you being able to skate from Norway to Greece yet we would all be sitting in our gardens with a jacket sipping magheritas and watching new ice caps form across the pond. 

Great watching tho

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy Snow
28 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

I feel like coldies in here have gone ten rounds with Tyson at his best !

Its like Groundhog Day , you wake up check the outputs limpet high in charge , go to bed get up rinse and repeat !

I still. Maintain its because the event has not happened yet so its almost like a default synoptic pattern lol

Posted
6 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

GFS is getting better strat - wise..

What’s the latest on the ECM strat 12z?

Edited by Don

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
2 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

GFS is getting better strat - wise..

Yes, i am actually starting to think that the vortex is going to get displaced east again and lets just give up on a split, we could have a Second half of Jan dominated by a Greenland high, then worry about further attacks on the vortex to get the Scandinavian high in feb, traditionally the best month and most common one, the one danger though although, if the vortex keeps getting displaced from one side to another, just as a good pattern is setting up, it could end up displaced to the wrong position, where with a split SSW it is always more stable.

Posted

So the high retrogresses then just as the bitter air is going to hit U.K. the high decides to move the other way lol

No wonfder the meto only have a cursory glance at the model I remember Ian fergusson mentioning before

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: the weather extremes in general but my favourites are snow & thunderstorms

This place at times unreal.

yes it all looks quite shocking atm but the models could quite easily just flip and at short notice too, we have seen it before, they haven’t a clue about this ssw at the mo and as soon as the signal starts getting picked up they will flip.

that lovely thing called PATIENCE is key here I’m afraid.

pretty much all the experts and long range forecasts etc say early to mid jan for winter from what I’ve seen so......

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Interesting GFS 18z op. Deep, deep cold out in Europe, first time I've seen it that deep, that close to our shores. Any easterlies thereafter would be extremely potent. 

Obviously we're not looking at individual op runs at this point, but let's hope it's a trend. Definitely not a bad thing to cool down Europe before we get any easterly winds developing. 

Edited by ZK099

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun in summer, snow in winter, wind in Autumn and rainbows in the spring!

Get a feeling the models have yet to take into account the effects of the SSW. January looks very very cold. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
6 minutes ago, Catacol said:

We can expect to see a rally in MT in the next few days - and perhaps another strong one.

Does this mean an East asian one and one that could properly finish the Strat vortex off for good this winter?

Posted
3 minutes ago, markw2680 said:

This place at times unreal.

yes it all looks quite shocking atm but the models could quite easily just flip and at short notice too, we have seen it before, they haven’t a clue about this ssw at the mo and as soon as the signal starts getting picked up they will flip.

that lovely thing called PATIENCE is key here I’m afraid.

pretty much all the experts and long range forecasts etc say early to mid jan for winter from what I’ve seen so......

'unreal' ? Really? People just airing differing opinions? Isn't that just the way of the world? I find your post dramatic to say the least lol.

• Like 1

Posted
7 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Yes, i am actually starting to think that the vortex is going to get displaced east again and lets just give up on a split, we could have a Second half of Jan dominated by a Greenland high, then worry about further attacks on the vortex to get the Scandinavian high in feb, traditionally the best month and most common one, the one danger though although, if the vortex keeps getting displaced from one side to another, just as a good pattern is setting up, it could end up displaced to the wrong position, where with a split SSW it is always more stable.

Even in the GFS scenario the core vortex getting shoved off the Pole is never a bad thing,we can see on 18z the core deep purples have been removed from Eastern Canada and Greenland , this with zonal winds decreasing, hopefully will see a slowing down of the energy hurtling across the Atlantic..

Thats my hope, guess we have to see,but at the moment i would like to see some evidence appearing in day 10 plus charts, and it sounds like eps have trended the other way..

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, northwestsnow said:

Even in the GFS scenario the core vortex getting shoved off the Pole is never a bad thing,we can see on 18z the core deep purples have been removed from Eastern Canada and Greenland , this with zonal winds decreasing, hopefully will see a slowing down of the energy hurtling across the Atlantic..

Thats my hope, guess we have to see,but at the moment i would like to see some evidence appearing in day 10 plus charts, and it sounds like eps have trended the other way..

The eps are a little worrisome to say the least.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow freezing rain heat waves

Happy Christmas everyone very interesting later on gfs cooler day by day very cold to the east of uk. didn’t some of the very cold spells in the past have high pressure  drifting around uk so uk high  might be boring to most but could be key to much colder weather later on..

82CF55EB-69C2-4477-BF9B-045FAE159684.png

7D574F97-CBDF-4F82-9D22-D671C8B1A4EE.png

Edited by abbie123
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: the weather extremes in general but my favourites are snow & thunderstorms
3 minutes ago, blizzard81 said:

'unreal' ? Really? People just airing differing opinions? Isn't that just the way of the world? I find your post dramatic to say the least lol.

Lol yeah perhaps unreal was a bit strong.

im just as irritated as the rest of us on here atm but I’m quite confident of something very good lurking just frustrating 

• Like 2