Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Hunt For Cold: Model Discussion - Heading Into Christmas

Paul
Message added by Paul

If you're hunting for cold potential in the model output, this thread is for you. But if you'd like to look more widely at the models, please head over to the general model discussion thread.

This is a model related thread, so a general, frequent theme of the model output is a given, but it will not be strictly enforced:

• Some topic drift, humorous responses etc are fine
  • Posts likely to lead the thread off on an entirely off topic tangent are not ok. For example (but not solely limited to): Posts entirely or mainly about Met Office, BBC or media forecasts with little or no model context, and posts solely asking for a weather forecast in a specific location.
  • Posts which start with something like 'I know this is off topic but ...' are not ok.
  • Posts which break the forum guidelines are not ok (eg trolling, troll-hunting, weather guilt tripping, overly defensive/aggressive, abusive, disrespectful to others)

Posted

All I want, for Christmas is, a link to the northern hemisphere markings re Met, gfs and ecmwf, used to have it but unable to do so now-please help someone?

thanks

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!
2 minutes ago, johnholmes said:

All I want, for Christmas is, a link to the northern hemisphere markings re Met, gfs and ecmwf, used to have it but unable to do so now-please help someone?

thanks

Is this what you are after:

http://www.emc.ncep.noaa.gov/gmb/STATS_vsdb/

Posted
10 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

The ecm spreads show the previous ops with the systems heading west to east are still evident in the eps 

Is that a good thing or bad

Posted
2 minutes ago, shaky said:

Is that a good thing or bad

just means previous ops are still on the table ..... the 00z suite had no clusters past day 10 and the spread at day 10 means that there was too much variation post day 10 for the model to show only six defined clusters 

• Thanks 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

just means previous ops are still on the table ..... the 00z suite had no clusters past day 10 and the spread at day 10 means that there was too much variation post day 10 for the model to show only six defined clusters 

Icon massively different at 120 hours again!!much more amplified and ridge straight up central western uk and iceland region!!cold air to the east!!takethat as a positive again!

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

Some one has dropped a Bomb in the computer models...!  But good news the cold flerts with us during Christmas  

freezing.gif

UPTON.png

UPTONX.png

Posted

Yep,ICON 18z step towards UK high over Christmas, quite a big one here T120, then 12z at same time:

image.thumb.jpg.44ff41b862757263e886d69c1eadd41f.jpg

image.thumb.jpg.bb256269b1e3520b22a27a94cb89be8b.jpg

I know some are concerned about the heights over Spain, still evident here. I think the same mechanism for pushing the UK heights further north will deal with those in due course.  Nothing evident on the models to do either at the moment, once the SSW happens expect that to change - and it to get very busy in here!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers
10 minutes ago, Mike Poole said:

Yep,ICON 18z step towards UK high over Christmas, quite a big one here T120, then 12z at same time:

I know some are concerned about the heights over Spain, still evident here. I think the same mechanism for pushing the UK heights further north will deal with those in due course.  Nothing evident on the models to do either at the moment, once the SSW happens expect that to change - and it to get very busy in here!

Yes some patience needed, because we don’t know for sure yet what sort of SSW event we are going to have. Will it be a split PV or just a displacement? Which then has an affect on how quickly the trop responds. All a bit up in the air as to how/when this plays out at the surface for now. 

Loving it though, really interesting and enjoying reading everyone’s thoughts. Cracking stuff! 

Edited by karlos1983
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy
18 minutes ago, Mike Poole said:

As long as you haven’t got widespread heights over Europe, heights over Iberia are of no worry to me. As I’ve said before, the 1947 floodgates were opened by Spanish heights migrating north. I wonder if that year was caused by a SSW in December? 

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

Looking at the GEFS 12z mean in the extended range, high pressure gradually becomes the main feature across much of the uk so depending on cloud cover, some areas would see an increasing likelihood of frost and fog, perhaps the far north staying more unsettled with a westerly flow..interestingly, the postage stamps indicate some snow potential into early january...fingers crossed Jan 2019 will bring our first major taste of winter!!!:cold-emoji::santa-emoji: 

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days

Talk of a tri-vortex maybe flattering...to the 'vortex'..

A child awaiting the caining of the oversized teacher...would be more relivent...going forwards..

Lets not 4 get..even a modeled umpff..in the canadian/Alaskan sector...in latter frames of ops..is likely a light year away scenario..as the kiss chase of synoptics...plays just that...catch..and kiss...

But with non pouting lips!!!

gfsnh-0-180.png

gfsnh-10-174.png

• Like 4

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

The elongated and narrowing upper trough extending from Ireland SW to the Azores seems to have been causing the models all kinds of problems over recent runs, but it looks like on this evening's runs that it will phase with another surge of the Atlantic jet that extends troughing over the Atlantic towards the UK later next week. But to be honest, I think the models could be underestimating the staying power of the ridge building north over the UK early next week, so could see further checks on the Atlantic trying to return.

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Mike Poole said:

Is this what you are after:

http://www.emc.ncep.noaa.gov/gmb/STATS_vsdb/

Thanks Mike, not the one I had some time ago but it looks to give the same thing I want so thank you for that, got it saved now

Posted
4 minutes ago, tight isobar said:

Talk of a tri-vortex maybe flattering...to the 'vortex'..

A child awaiting the caining of the oversized teacher...would be more relivent...going forwards..

Lets not 4 get..even a modeled umpff..in the canadian/Alaskan sector...in latter frames of ops..is likely a light year away scenario..as the kiss chase of synoptics...plays just that...catch..and kiss...

But with non pouting lips!!!

gfsnh-0-180.png

gfsnh-10-174.png

I don't know what that means but it is pure poetry! Pub run is certainly interesting suggesting an earlier movement of heights north?  I feel unable to comment on the pouting lips...

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days
5 minutes ago, Mike Poole said:

I don't know what that means but it is pure poetry! Pub run is certainly interesting suggesting an earlier movement of heights north?  I feel unable to comment on the pouting lips...

Yeah a little over elaborate..

Looking through the 500 geo pot heights..and the trop/strat notions..

Its very encouraging stuff..for both dissplaced-voritices..and wave pulses..

With some action noted...but still not in evidence..via the ops..and there supporting...

I'll try do a basic summary/analysis..soon as !

Edited by tight isobar
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm, bright summers and Cold, snowy winters

18z making quicker work of dismantling the Vortex. Other than that pretty much a snore fest.

Not that it means anything at this range but I suppose it's reassuring.

Edited by Snowman.

Posted
Just now, Weathizard said:

GFS 18z is dire, no surprise there’s not much comment!

High pressure to the south and low pressure to the north. Utter crud. Thank goodness there's many twists and turns to come.

Posted

Yep, think I'm on the same page as you, have been for a while probably. Go January!

Think this one is going to split:

image.thumb.jpg.c4be6a304e0127b16a14d5964f2bab09.jpg

Pub run at T264

Edited by Mike Poole

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes n snow
2 hours ago, ZK099 said:

Another point- as someone else mentioned, we definitely don't want to see that cold go into Greece. As I've said, the model output is so volatile at the moment there's absolutely no point paying attention to it. However, when the block does set up, we really don't want the cold heading into Greece  

I believe the Greeks have had a referendum and also don't want that cold...I remember the gaps under their doors....

With the models setups I don't think Greece will go as cold as last year - an exceptional one...

..and anyway, there is a country here just waiting for a decent Winter.

• Like 1

Evening peeps

Hope everyone is ok

well just wanted to say we all look out for the future but also treasure the past. Exactly 8 years ago on this date Dec 18th 2010 it was a Saturday and London had heavy snow. It's a day I will never forget and a day which I wish gets repeated again and again.

i just hope winter will show us its wonderland again soon.

DEAR SANTA all I want for Christmas is UPGRADES  - search for our winter wonderland continues 

night night all

Posted

EC clusters T168 — white Christmas chances are dead, sadly:

ec-ens_nat_z500scenarios_2018121812_168.

Into the New Year - that sign for a big UK block remains. Could be very cold underneath, maybe just maybe a stray front could give something a touch snowy at times (bit of an ask if the block is big) 

ec-ens_nat_z500scenarios_2018121812_348.

• Like 1

Posted

Disgusting 18z. Absolutely hideous and probably the worst I've seen this winter. High pressure to the south and low pressure to the north throughout. Looks completely at odds with all the background signals and strat forecasts, thank goodness. I would post some charts, but people would probably vomit looking at them.

• Like 1