Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Hunt For Cold: Model Discussion - Heading Into Christmas

Paul
Message added by Paul

If you're hunting for cold potential in the model output, this thread is for you. But if you'd like to look more widely at the models, please head over to the general model discussion thread.

This is a model related thread, so a general, frequent theme of the model output is a given, but it will not be strictly enforced:

• Some topic drift, humorous responses etc are fine
  • Posts likely to lead the thread off on an entirely off topic tangent are not ok. For example (but not solely limited to): Posts entirely or mainly about Met Office, BBC or media forecasts with little or no model context, and posts solely asking for a weather forecast in a specific location.
  • Posts which start with something like 'I know this is off topic but ...' are not ok.
  • Posts which break the forum guidelines are not ok (eg trolling, troll-hunting, weather guilt tripping, overly defensive/aggressive, abusive, disrespectful to others)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All
4 minutes ago, karlos1983 said:

Oh GFS (P) is a beaut

:air_kiss:

1AAF0224-2EB8-4242-A014-16A3FB3C11A5.thumb.jpeg.1f0b5bf03fd0b9fe50facce4c51908a5.jpeg

image.thumb.png.0b4d27d490697f7dba36780b7d468e86.png Yep, theres a smiley beast in there if you look carefully.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
30 minutes ago, stodge said:

Afternoon all

I suspected this morning's output would restore some colour to people's cheeks and get the curtains a-twitchin'.

For those of us who love cold without the snow, GFS FI is delightful with both OP and Parallel showing substantial mid-latitude blocking and as I constantly have to remind people, it's perfectly possible to get an ice day in London without a flake of snow on the ground if you get a serious inversion and both OP and Parallel - I know the 2m temperatures aren't suggesting that at the moment but I'm absolutely convinced IF we got a set up like:

gfs-0-372.png?6

We would have fog and frost as long as (and it's a big proviso) we can avoid embedding cloud in the circulation. This is why I quite like an HP forming from the south over land as they have less cloud in the embedded circulation than an HP coming in from the east or west.

Anyway, all a long way off and of course the big positive is the split PV now showing on both OP and Parallel which is significant IF it plays out.

All this will be too late for Christmas and New Year celebrations I suspect but promises a lot for January if the cards drop right.

Good points, Stodge...Given largely cloudless skies, I'd expect to see ice-days before the third night frost...?

• Like 1

Posted
17 minutes ago, ICE COLD said:

Where is Mr Murr ??? 

Hold on I’ve found him . 

He’s cutting and levelling the grass ready for the dumpings of snow in Jan ?

36D996EE-3B27-4AF1-BCF5-3C590DB41290.jpeg

Thank god the "Murr sausage" is covered up 

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow in winter Warm Sunny Summer

Oh GFS (P) is a beaut

1AAF0224-2EB8-4242-A014-16A3FB3C11A5.thumb.jpeg.1f0b5bf03fd0b9fe50facce4c51908a5.jpeg

The U.K. high will migrate nw towards Greenland dragging the higher heights away from Iberia allowing the pv to drop over Scandi and an undercut of low pressure meeting it heading to where the high used to be over Spain and caboom locked in cold. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
33 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Next step is to get rid of the uncertainty and longjevity bit and get a pure cold (non faux) forecast right out to the last 3rd of Jan.

And what better way to do that than keep on with the split SSW runs

Much better strat output from the GFS today Feb

Like a switch has been flicked again today

• Like 5

Posted
35 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

Goodness me that is huge upgrade from Exeter!!!.

They must be really confident ..

East or north easterly?

Yes please!!:cold:

Cant remember one forecast from them proving to be correct over the last few months!!but id rather have them talkin bout cold and snow than nuttin at all!!could see some pretty upgrades!!what dates are they talkin about mate

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers
8 minutes ago, Pembroke Dangler said:

The U.K. high will migrate nw towards Greenland dragging the higher heights away from Iberia allowing the pv to drop over Scandi and an undercut of low pressure meeting it heading to where the high used to be over Spain and caboom locked in cold. 

Exactly! Piece of pish! ❄️? Dance!  

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!

It looks like yesterday's slight wobble in terms of expectations for a cold January is behind us now.  Good output today, particularly the strat charts from GFS, FV3 and ECM too.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: wintry
1 hour ago, karyo said:

There will always be areas that find themselves in a rain shadow. A straight easterly may keep you relatively dry but a northeasterly will do the same to another location.

agreed, but an oblique hit will always catch more rather than a straight on from either N, E or even S or W ?

Anyway it's academic at this stage, just on the wish list not to end up with nowt again!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun in summer, Snow in Winter
40 minutes ago, ICE COLD said:

Where is Mr Murr ??? 

He was last seen giving CPR to a snowflake in New Ash Green !

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,

I’m wondering if the SSW is the reason the Met Office being so bullish especially given little signal for anything significantly cold on the models that we can see.

The EPS has high pressure too far South to be noteworthy, EC46 doesn’t really indicate anything of note until at the end of the run though given the fairly wild swings in that output the last 2 weeks it’s difficult to take anything it shows seriously. 

Models will be all over the place upto and during the SSW, once it’s occured we should start to see things become a little clearer once models start to work out the impact it’ll have. 

Signals remain good for colder weather, we’re just not seeing that in the NWP outputs at the moment..

• Like 1

Posted
7 minutes ago, Dennis said:

See the latest AO to christmas days

ao.sprd2 (3).gif

NAO going negative as well. Improvement from yesterday!

A68A92C8-E631-4F5F-9673-2A2958EC31DD.thumb.gif.11155cec081c8d9101f7b35cd4a4148c.gif

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰
6 hours ago, karlos1983 said:

Anyone know where I can view the Ensembles for Reykjavik? Thought they could be viewed on Metoeciel, but it appears not.

I know you already got a response but I use these 2 websites https://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/gefs.php and this to find the latitude / longitude of a location https://www.latlong.net/ here is Reykjavik https://www.meteociel.fr/cartes_obs/gens_display.php?ext=1&lat=64.126518&lon=-21.817438&ville= 

37 minutes ago, karlos1983 said:

Oh GFS (P) is a beaut

:air_kiss:

yes good to see the PV / coldest air shift to the eastern side and hopefully if an easterly does develop it will be from Siberia with love :cold:

download.thumb.jpg.b69af353694bc60fa7c3b9ae4b5e2c2b.jpg

Good to see the positivity returning in here, long may it last

All I want for Christmas is...... further upgrades from the GEFS and other models please 

tempresult_hbj2.thumb.gif.da780cc471f6feeb8f41e4bde6df5114.gif

gens-7-0-336.thumb.png.bf42bb981af1248b9c609da81e98eccb.pnggens-7-0-348.thumb.png.fa2226b2878fe559e293fd2556fc90c9.png 

tempresult_ljb9.thumb.gif.3dbc0b3e13138736f4a9ee78e80ac5af.gif

gensnh-12-5-384.thumb.png.7c866fff51f3ab235c083ed7fd1527f0.png those dates might be slightly early but nice to see them heading in that direction, looks like the first ridge of high pressure may start to develop on or just after Christmas so one to keep an eye on where it heads if it does develop.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

think meto are going for something similar to permutation 7 on gfs ,perhaps

gens-7-1-336.png?6

Some of the models  have been toying with the idea of retrogression to greenland ,then collapsing the High,hopefully the retrogression signal will become stronger over the next few days.

Posted

OK, time check, its the 18th of December..

Zonal winds on the downward 

Warming in the strat - where we are right now-

gfsnh-10-24.png?6

at 72 hours

gfsnh-10-78.png?6

by 192

gfsnh-10-192.png?6

We can see core cold shoved back towards Greenland..

by the end 

gfsnh-10-384.png?6

So, i think we need some patience, don't be suprised to see the models attempting to build a strong Greeny PV late Dec  , however, if the strat charts are near accurate, it wont be staying there long..

First thing i would expect to see is a developing -AO, then with any luck, some very tasty charts for coldies to enjoy.

Thats the routemap i have in my head, fingers crossed!!

• Like 5

Posted

You’ve gone full circle @northwestsnow good man. Like yer style ?

• Like 3

Posted
53 minutes ago, Daniel Smith said:

I’m wondering if the SSW is the reason the Met Office being so bullish especially given little signal for anything significantly cold on the models that we can see.

The EPS has high pressure too far South to be noteworthy, EC46 doesn’t really indicate anything of note until at the end of the run though given the fairly wild swings in that output the last 2 weeks it’s difficult to take anything it shows seriously. 

Models will be all over the place upto and during the SSW, once it’s occured we should start to see things become a little clearer once models start to work out the impact it’ll have. 

Signals remain good for colder weather, we’re just not seeing that in the NWP outputs at the moment..

We can’t see the clusters on the ec 46 - perhaps some week 3/4 clusters are getting the block a little further nw than the mean - it was over Greenland by week 4. the run jumps around a lot, day by day so I expect those clusters are required to make sense of it 

32 minutes ago, SLEETY said:

think meto are going for something similar to permutation 7 on gfs ,perhaps

gens-7-1-336.png?6

Some of the models  have been toying with the idea of retrogression to greenland ,then collapsing the High,hopefully the retrogression signal will become stronger over the next few days.

Exeter aren’t seeing a cold flow before the end of week 2 which is when gfs and gefs run to .... any frigid charts showing on current output are not in line with their thinking which is a block in our vicinity 

• Like 1

Posted

In my defence i did keep my nerve and announce my optimism when all around were losing their faith last night 

Edited by northwestsnow
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm
3 hours ago, abbie123 said:

The meto yesterday hinted colder weather coming from east this where I’m putting my money.

It is very likely to move onto that, once things start it’ll start moving quickly, watch for model outlook upgrades to continue over this coming week re cold outlook.

BFTP

Edited by BLAST FROM THE PAST
  • Like 3

This is from strat expert Judah Cohen. Personally I've never seen the PV being modelled to split into more than two vortices before. Will be interesting to see if it happens, and if it does what effect it has. Also suggests that a split is now likely due to a second heat flux being modelled. Watch this space. 

Screenshot_20181218-150652_Twitter.jpg

• Like 3