Ireland Regional Weather Discussion 13/12/2018 Onwards

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

good luck ireland ?  

Definitely good to see Pom. I really have a feeling that we are going in to the freezer whether or not we see a pile of snow or not then I will settle for ice days and winter sunshine. Here is a few s

Posted Images

I can see slieve gallion from here, totally white.current temp, 3.3c. plenty of interest for tonight I see! Just hope temps get low enough for snow to fall and lay.

13 minutes ago, Sparky72 said:

Does anyone think there’ll be any snow lying away from high ground by morning tomorrow or is it all to have washed away by then?

Just seen a chart for 4am which showed snow starting to turn back to rain at my location.

9 minutes ago, ForeverPomeroysnow said:

Weather warning for snow and rain tonight, usual suspect areas should do well tonight 

You mean pomeroy and loughmacrory.lol

MetO warnings for Aldergrove and Belfast City Airport. 

Snow

Issued at:  Sun 23 Feb 2020 - 15:54 UTC

Valid from:  Mon 24 Feb 2020 - 00:00 UTC

Valid to:  Mon 24 Feb 2020 - 07:00 UTC

SNOW (OR RAIN AND SNOW MIXED) IS LIKELY TO OCCUR AT THE AIRFIELD. SLIGHT SNOWFALL IS FORECAST, WITH ACCUMULATIONS OF NIL-1 CM (MAINLY BETWEEN 0200 AND 0600 UTC). SNOW TYPE WET. VISIBILITY IS EXPECTED TO FALL BELOW 600M IN THE SNOWFALL, WITH A MINIMUM VISIBILITY OF 300 M.

Snow

Issued at:  Sun 23 Feb 2020 - 17:34 UTC

Valid from:  Mon 24 Feb 2020 - 01:00 UTC

Valid to:  Mon 24 Feb 2020 - 06:00 UTC

SNOW (OR RAIN AND SNOW MIXED) IS LIKELY TO OCCUR AT THE AIRFIELD. SLIGHT/MODERATE/HEAVY SNOWFALL IS FORECAST, WITH ACCUMULATIONS OF 0-1 CM. SNOW TYPE WET. VISIBILITY IS EXPECTED TO FALL BELOW 600M IN THE SNOWFALL, WITH A MINIMUM VISIBILITY Of 300 M. WINDS ARE EXPECTED TO BE GREATER THAN 15KT WITH THE POSSIBILITY OF DRIFTING AT TIMES.

• Like 1

Just checked most of high resolution models and I'm surprised the warning from both mets is so understated. Met office pretty much going for above 100m, big accumulations above 200m. Met Eireann have snow mention in the fine print of their rain warning. 

Met Eireann do mention rain clearing in the morning but have rain sleet snow clearing ulster. I think they're under playing it because its happening during the night. 

I think some inland areas of Ulster areas will see 5 to 10cm and on higher ground 15cm +. Various models show a high for me tomorrow of 2 to 3c so the melt shouldn't be too extreme if that happens. Anyway just my opinion they obviously know much more than me, I just think they're playing it down as it's happening during the night. 

Edited by Donegal
17 minutes ago, Donegal said:

Just checked most of high resolution models and I'm surprised the warning from both mets is so understated. Met office pretty much going for above 100m, big accumulations above 200m. Met Eireann have snow mention in the fine print of their rain warning. 

Met Eireann do mention rain clearing in the morning but have rain sleet snow clearing ulster. I think they're under playing it because its happening during the night. 

I think some inland areas of Ulster areas will see 5 to 10cm and on higher ground 15cm +. Various models show a high for me tomorrow of 2 to 3c so the melt shouldn't be too extreme if that happens. Anyway just my opinion they obviously know much more than me, I just think they're playing it down as it's happening during the night. 

Hope your right Donegal , managed to convince the brother to come out early hours and try some of camera night time and hopefully snowy flash photography, so if nothing happens you can all have a good chortle in the morning

1 hour ago, na52 said:

Hope your right Donegal , managed to convince the brother to come out early hours and try some of camera night time and hopefully snowy flash photography, so if nothing happens you can all have a good chortle in the morning

Ha. Should be good. Could start off as rain before turning. Also could be 2 3 am before it arrives properly in the NE of Ulster 

• Like 1

Sawel Mountain the highest peak in the Sperrins 678m. The Met Office forecast for it tonight. Heavy snow. Air temperature of -2. Feels like -13. Winds storm force 10 Beaufort scale. 

That altitude is nothing extreme. Its a pity we're so flat overall as an island. Any town 400 500m altitude here would have a very interesting Winter. 

I’ve just set off on night shift on railway in Scotland, all the signs on motorway showing yellow snow warning, currently 2 degrees but feels a lot colder. I am like Michelin man that many layers on ? home should do good tonight, have warned the wife

30 minutes ago, Steve Murr said:

I personally love rain to snow>
Watching the transition & the temp drop bit by bit is mesmerising !

Good luck guys

Remember New Years Eve being transfixed in 2009-2010 on the weather station, the temperature dropping like a stone, the very light rain turning to sleet at about 9pm, the sleet turning to proper snow, giving a light covering, then stopping. The temp had gone from +11C to -2 in about 3 hours. It started to sleet and rain again slightly.  I was so disappointed, that I just went to bed. Woke up to a belt of thunder at 2 am. Got out of bed, and the snow was belting down, all was white and New year had rung in beautifully for me!!! What followed was the stuff of legends.

I've never lost that feeling. I'll be staying up tonight to keep an eye out anyway!

• Like 7

Met Eireann update 

Widespread rain overnight, heavy in places, with spot flooding. The rain will turn to sleet and snow for a time across parts of Connacht, north Leinster and Ulster, with some snow accumulations, mainly in parts of the north and northwest, leading to hazardous driving conditions.