Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Ireland Regional Weather Discussion 13/12/2018 Onwards

Mapantz

Posted
20 minutes ago, Weegaz said:

Any precipitation to accompany it? We all want snow, cold just won’t cut it 

There would be plenty of heavy snow showers in the unstable Northerly.

• Like 1

Posted

Just catching up on the 12z runs. Holy Moley!!! Great UKMO but gfs spoiled the great feeling. Hopefully it’s eastward bias is at fault. Even the para run was very good. As MS said, the 12z ECM could be the clincher. I’ll be watching this from behind the sofa starting now!!!

Posted
3 hours ago, parrotingfantasist said:

I prefer a good northerly or something really cold than a northwesterly which fails to deliver for lower elevations these past few years anyway.

But as I said  I'll always take a northwesterly right now and any time this whole Winter. Can always take a drive up elevation its not that difficult.  Just a stressful roll of the dice when it comes to uppers and shower activity

MetO has a cracking northerly too on their website. But will it be blown away as quick as it came?? Lets hope not. Daffodils are sprouting up, my snapdragons are still giving flowers, and I just seen the council out cutting the grass. Dreadful stuff for January...

They are cutting the grass so the snow will settle better and more evenly when it arrives to make sledging and snowman building easier

All good still for a big change commencing mid next week....exciting times ahead....

• Like 1

Posted
25 minutes ago, Neiller22 said:

Still cant see where this prolonged cold is coming from.

Starts on Wednesday/Thursday Neiller with below average temperatures kicking in for the foreseeable. The slug high will have retreated back to the Azores so there will be no tropical maritime air involved. The air mass will be cold. Whether it will be cold enough for snow, we'll just have to wait and see.

If things play out well, we could see the Northerly mid week deliver the colder air, then we may get a good undercut as troughs push down from the North West, which "could" deliver snow. Then we see wedges of heights around Iceland continuing to deliver snow opportunities from further sliders. The into week 2 we see proper heights to the North West delivering much colder uppers and potential.

Edited by mountain shadow
  • Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Neiller22 said:

I'm working on the Reverse Psychology theory MS!

Plenty snow opportunities on the GFS 6z and that's including taking its progressive bias into account!

Posted
4 minutes ago, mountain shadow said:

Plenty snow opportunities on the GFS 6z and that's including taking its progressive bias into account!

SWEET

Posted

All good things come to those who wait! Last March I got my first lying snow since 2010... This is like Dublin bus, you wait 10 years for snow, then 2 come along together!!!

Posted
3 minutes ago, Steve Murr said:

Something for the snow starved Irish to keep an eye on for the North / NE weds Eve

D9F6684B-4873-453D-B79D-877FB504653D.thumb.jpeg.bd2e25348a30eadc520cc7cb9e211962.jpeg

@Sperrin

Fingers crossed Steve. 

• Thanks 1

Posted

Could we be on the cusp of something special?

With NW SE sliders being discussed, surely we should do well, especially up around the north coast.

It seems like an age ago watching the radar for what was incoming

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow
2 hours ago, Steve Murr said:

Something for the snow starved Irish to keep an eye on for the North / NE weds Eve

D9F6684B-4873-453D-B79D-877FB504653D.thumb.jpeg.bd2e25348a30eadc520cc7cb9e211962.jpeg

@Sperrin

Good man Steve. Cheers for the update. Exciting times!

Posted
1 hour ago, Weegaz said:

Could we be on the cusp of something special?

With NW SE sliders being discussed, surely we should do well, especially up around the north coast.

It seems like an age ago watching the radar for what was incoming

Hopefully on the cusp...we are in with a shout anyhow.....lets see how the next few days pan out but end Jan and Feb could be special if things fall in to place 

Posted

I’m still not overly convinced by this   Yes there may be a wee bit of snow but I can’t see anything substantial just yet. End of next week just looks very dicey snow wise with a mix of everything and beyond that is way up in the air still I think. But hopefully it will all come together but I have my doubts. 

Posted

I started to think that I have broken winter. I bought snow chains August and since then it's been warm to mild but never cold.

It's good to read that the cold is on its way finally.

Posted
13 minutes ago, hamba said:

I started to think that I have broken winter. I bought snow chains August and since then it's been warm to mild but never cold.

It's good to read that the cold is on its way finally.

Yup totally your fault, get them sold , that said I may have told the family that we would have snow at Christmas so might be my fault as well ☹

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow

Someone put this up on mod thread and it seems like a good site. 

https://www.metcheck.com/WEATHER/16days.asp?zipcode=BT79&locationID=58465&lat=54.6&lon=-7.2

Does nice graphics for the 16 days ahead. You can clearly see the fall in temps from mid next week onwards. Hopefully, this cold spell solidifies over the weekend. 

Screenshot_20190112_111704.jpg