Holidays
Local
Radar
Snow?
Mapantz

Ireland Regional Weather Discussion 13/12/2018 Onwards

It's been sunny all day but there has been very little thaw so far. Still loads of snow around and it's freezing hard out there. 

Euro4 moved the low north, it’s also showing as warm snow, more commonly know as rain, big downgrade for some

808046A2-E57C-46AF-8E62-FE9AC75722C3.gif

• Haha 3

22 minutes ago, Weegaz said:

Euro4 moved the low north, it’s also showing as warm snow, more commonly know as rain, big downgrade for some

808046A2-E57C-46AF-8E62-FE9AC75722C3.gif

I believe it turns to snow in the evening as per Met Eireann

Epic Fail! I’ve just spent half an hour with the kids trying to build a snowman but no joy, won’t stick it’s too dry. Not sure why!

6 minutes ago, bobbarley said:

Epic Fail! I’ve just spent half an hour with the kids trying to build a snowman but no joy, won’t stick it’s too dry. Not sure why!

Notice that today. Real dry powdery snow. 😎

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ronan said:

Notice that today. Real dry powdery snow. 😎

My favourite type... Walking the dog after 10pm, in the crunching snow, after a few beers! Back for an Irish coffee, then into bed feeling all warm and fuzzy inside! Great memories of last March!

• Like 4

Latest Met Eireann update is now forecasting moderate snow accumulations on lower ground in some places tomorrow. Earlier update was just forecasting snow on mountains. 

GFS para has consistently shown lying snow over much of the South and East for tomorrow and now the OP also shows accumulated snow but to a lesser extent.  Inland areas most at risk. Even areas that have rain tomorrow could see this turning to snow later in the day and overnight as temps and dew points drop off and the 528 dam line pushes back south. Will be early hours of Friday before the system clears southwards so potential for several hours of snowfall in parts. 

Will be interesting to see how this plays out...at the moment it looks like the main band will effect the south up to a line from approx Dublin over to Galway bit still possibility this could push further north in to Ulster, or it could also stay a little further south of this line but you would think the models have this more or less correct at this late stage.... 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Rocheydub said:

My favourite type... Walking the dog after 10pm, in the crunching snow, after a few beers! Back for an Irish coffee, then into bed feeling all warm and fuzzy inside! Great memories of last March!

Hopefully not too long before you see some snow!!

Wee showers pushing North on the South Down coast.  Hopefully I'll catch one.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, booferking said:

Yeoo

It was short but sweet.  Hopefully see more being triggered ahead of the main band further South. 

• Like 2

Yes! Snowing in the city centre and as it's still well below freezing - settling easily! 

Edited by SnowJon
  • Like 2

Snowing.  Belfast city centre 🙂 lovely to see

• Like 1

Yayy snoow. Just got home from work, should I wait up for it to snow more and build a snowman or go to sleep and risk waking up to it all gone or might it snow later for us too? 😋

Can the northern extent push further north than shown on models? Seems to have push more north already

08F0FB13-5E5B-4D09-BA2F-040016751746.png

Its showing snow on the radar for here but even though there’s a frost still on the ground, it’s drizzling rain here!

I see Dublin airport (just up the road from me) recorded -5.8 last night! 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Weegaz said:

Can the northern extent push further north than shown on models? Seems to have push more north already

08F0FB13-5E5B-4D09-BA2F-040016751746.png

Doubtful,  but I'm hopeful for more showers. 

3 minutes ago, mountain shadow said:

Me too! Very pleasant surprise this morning 😀

Just now, mountain shadow said:

GFS was getting bashed by the mad thread it's to far North won't make it to southern coastline at this rate etc well sorry it looks to have better handle than most the models had.

• Like 4

Was brilliant, was coming down the M2 about 40 mins ago and the snow just started and then lay on the ground. Traffic was starting to struggle.

Still snow on the ground in Belfast

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mountain shadow said:

Snowwww

Sleet / hail on the coast. Strong wind from the E/SE. -4 during the night with a heavy frost but +1 now both temp and dew point.