Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Ireland Regional Weather Discussion 13/12/2018 Onwards

Mapantz

Posted

To be honest, there is still time for change and if the mid week low disrupts a little bit more then that increases the risk of snow.

Next week is still cold and there will be snow chances even based on the ECM, it's just not as good as a couple of days ago.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow

When reading the Mod thread you tend to forget the PM flow coming Sunday, Monday and Tuesday. It's showing snow on almost all the frames. Here are a select few before you get to the slider on Wednesday night as @mountain shadow has highlighted above!

1.gif

2.gif

3.gif

4.gif

5.gif

6.gif

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
10 minutes ago, Weegaz said:

Potential from Sunday then Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday .........

1CB804BF-D9FF-4924-9487-2F44E421E8AA.png

It would certainly be a laugh if we get a pile of snow and the South of England gets nought but rain.

• Like 3

Posted
1 hour ago, gman144 said:

What’s your gut call MS, this low that hasn’t formed is causing all confusion. 

I feel it will disrupt better and better further East than currently modelled there by increasing snow chances. 

Posted
12 minutes ago, gman144 said:

BBC week forecast great for short term but end of week mild. 

I really like the sound of that week ahead forecast!! Could be some real dumpings of snow around midweek. 18's rolling out so fingers crossed for some upgrades.

BTW The week ahead forecast mentions nothing about a mild end!

Edited by ronan

Guy on boards.ie weather who has one the biggest followings ruling out snow. Not he thinks it won't, he's saying it will not. I would love a crystal ball myself. Good news is majority of the time he's blunt about saying it won't in these kinds of scenarios, it usually does. So that's a good omen lol

"If the airmass is cold enough off Greenland and the windspeed high enough then the air will not modify too much and snow will result. However, this is rarely the case. The 2000-km+ sea track usually modifies the air too much and, as you say, leads to the wrong side of marginal for proper snow to all levels. This will be the case again this week."

Posted
26 minutes ago, StormyWeather28 said:

Guy on boards.ie weather who has one the biggest followings ruling out snow. Not he thinks it won't, he's saying it will not. I would love a crystal ball myself. Good news is majority of the time he's blunt about saying it won't in these kinds of scenarios, it usually does. So that's a good omen lol

"If the airmass is cold enough off Greenland and the windspeed high enough then the air will not modify too much and snow will result. However, this is rarely the case. The 2000-km+ sea track usually modifies the air too much and, as you say, leads to the wrong side of marginal for proper snow to all levels. This will be the case again this week."

He's obviously a bit clueless then. A couple of years ago  Parts of Ireland had snow from South Westerlies originating even further West in Canada.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow
50 minutes ago, Weegaz said:

A day in the house worrying about shed roof collapsing under snow load for quite a few, West looking best

2AAE4C33-8081-4CC0-915B-43086DE0669D.gif

Haha @Weegaz. My shed roof is still bucked after last winter. This might be the week to turn off its life support!

Posted
17 minutes ago, Sperrin said:

Haha @Weegaz. My shed roof is still bucked after last winter. This might be the week to turn off its life support!

Looks good for north and west again but anywhere could catch a few snow showers through Tuesday in to Wednesday .  .. lets see if morning runs support GFS in prolonging the cold  

Posted

Have to say though this time last week, automated forecasts were showing moderate amounts of snow for those places that actually got snow this week. 

At the moment automated forecasts not showing much for next week.

would love to be proved wrong, but just saying?

Pretty decent update. You might even see snow Sat night Sperrin. Full on blizzard conditions however high it happens. 

Today:

After a mainly dry start a band of heavy rain will spread east in the morning. Then brighter weather following in the afternoon with sunny intervals and a few showers. Mild, and breezy at first. Maximum temperature 9 °C.

Tonight:

Further showers this evening, turning to snow on higher ground later this evening and overnight. Strong to gale northwest winds, severe around the coasts. Minimum temperature 1 °C.

Sunday:

Clear bright or sunny intervals and occasional wintry showers, these giving slight falls over the hills. Strong to gale north to northwest winds gradually easing. Maximum temperature 5 °C.

Outlook for Monday to Wednesday:

A cold few days with a mixture of clear or sunny spells and occasional sleet or snow showers giving some accumulations.

Updated: 03:05 on Sat 26 Jan 2019 GMT