Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Ireland Regional Weather Discussion 13/12/2018 Onwards

Mapantz

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy

I went into Tesco there earlier and the car said 0.5 c when i came back out it jumped to 3.5 confirmed by the weather station when i came home. Getting windy too the wind just blew one of my cats off the kitchen window sill  up to 7c now too.

Edited by gary1365

Posted

I got a good covering from snow showers last night. Unfortunately it looks like that's the last of the snow for a while. It really is vexing that we have to contend with milder weather(warm sectors) coming from the north!

Edited by Bricriu
  • Like 2

Posted

Yeah it's a pity. Some of the snow we got is hanging on, but if these rain showers continue it won't last much longer. It's really annoying that rather than build on what we got, we are back to cold rain now.

Edited by Bricriu

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Proper winter/Proper summer

Odd what’s happened here. I went to sleep after night shift this morning with a nice covering of snow everywhere. I knew the the forecast was for a warm sector and advertised temps. of 7 degrees, so expected wet/green when I awoke. There is still snow on the grass and nearby hills, and my road has a thick layer of black ice now, literally gleaming like a bottle. There’s no way it’s been 7 degrees or anywhere near it here today.

Posted
2 minutes ago, Northwest NI said:

Odd what’s happened here. I went to sleep after night shift this morning with a nice covering of snow everywhere. I knew the the forecast was for a warm sector and advertised temps. of 7 degrees, so expected wet/green when I awoke. There is still snow on the grass and nearby hills, and my road has a thick layer of black ice now, literally gleaming like a bottle. There’s no way it’s been 7 degrees or anywhere near it here today.

That's a bit mad because just down the road in Limavady it's 7.3c and not a pick of snow left.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Proper winter/Proper summer
4 minutes ago, gary1365 said:

That's a bit mad because just down the road in Limavady it's 7.3c and not a pick of snow left.

Like I say, odd. It’s not much but still unexpected considering 7 degree forecast!

0A112673-83BB-4DBE-A942-44D78401FB64.jpeg

Edited by Northwest NI

Posted
12 minutes ago, Northwest NI said:

Like I say, odd. It’s not much but still unexpected considering 7 degree forecast!

0A112673-83BB-4DBE-A942-44D78401FB64.jpeg

I have noticed before Lough Foyle having quite a strong moderating affect on Limavady before so that could be it.

Posted

Rain has finally stopped and sky cleared here. Max today of 3.6c so still quite cold but utterly miserable. Hoping for some frosty nights and maybe an odd surprise thrown in.

• Like 1

Posted
17 minutes ago, Donegal said:

No warm sector to worry about if that happened. Madness

20201231_183503.jpg

I'm ordering heating oil and sticks.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: whatever the weather, I'll be watching.
1 hour ago, Donegal said:

20201231_183503.jpg

That's the coldest 850's I've ever seen modelled for here.

Well the good news is some places could see snow next week.
The bad news is some of the models seem to be converging on the idea of a west- based NAO further on. We just have to hope this is just another example of variability before they get a handle on the ssw, but the one worry i have is we've seen a west based nao suggested a few times in the last 8 -9 days by the GFS. Let's hope if it does in fact turn out that way, it's a temporary thing.
Hopefully the next GFS pub run shows -12 uppers over us!

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Donegal said:

20201231_183503.jpg

I wiil indeed purchase this for one of your American donomitory units 

Posted

Happy new year to all! Bit ropey this morning.lol lovely morning out, bit of frost and temp is currently 1.6c

Posted

Happy New Year all.

Maybe a bit of snow tomorrow morning in some areas. Nothing major, but the uppers should support snow to low levels.

Further ahead, mainly dry but cold with overnight frosts.

Still waiting to see whether we get a Northerly in a weeks time or not.