Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Ireland Regional Weather Discussion 13/12/2018 Onwards

Mapantz

Posted
36 minutes ago, parrotingfantasist said:

Even though the automated forecast is not great as it usually is, I am quietly confident for Derry tomorrow. After a Winter of zilch and nada payback must come at some stage!!

Well it’d be great if the weather worked with the power of positive thinking... I’ve tried enough times!

however the forecasts seem to get it right when it comes to snow

hope it goes your way and sorry for the negativity!

Posted
23 minutes ago, booferking said:

Mate of mine works for gritting team for government buildings hospitals and he,s just been called back to base to get ready for snow tonight.

I would say getting ready for the ice not the snow.

Areas out West might see 2 or 3 cm at low levels, with perhaps 5cm or so up on the hills. For Eastern areas, 1 or 2 cm at low levels, maybe 3cm over the hills.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm Summer. Snowy Winter.

Met Eireann has issued a national yellow warning for snow and ice.

Posted
4 minutes ago, mountain shadow said:

I would say getting ready for the ice not the snow.

Areas out West might see 2 or 3 cm at low levels, with perhaps 5cm or so up on the hills. For Eastern areas, 1 or 2 cm at low levels, maybe 3cm over the hills.

Trust me they were told to get snow ploughs ready and they only have 3 drivers who can drive them and he is one of them with a ticket to do so.

If it is only 2-3cm id be happy enough after all this winter only has produced 1 snow shower this year.

Edited by booferking

Posted
12 minutes ago, booferking said:

Trust me they were told to get snow ploughs ready and they only have 3 drivers who can drive them and he is one of them with a ticket to do so.

If it is only 2-3cm id be happy enough after all this winter only has produced 1 snow shower this year.

Snow ploughs!! Don't think it will be that bad. Maybe on the Glenshane and other higher routes but the showers don't look long lasting and beefy enough to cause a problem................yet

Posted

been very little precip here today so far. bit heavier now and def still sleety. temps only got as high as 3.5c so wont have far to fall. very hopefull from this.

Posted
9 minutes ago, ronan said:

Temps are actually dropping here now. From 4.5 to 2.5 in the past half hour. Rain turning more sleety. 

Yes, the cold front has passed through Derry, so should get colder and colder.

• Thanks 1

Posted
14 minutes ago, mountain shadow said:

Snow ploughs!! Don't think it will be that bad. Maybe on the Glenshane and other higher routes but the showers don't look long lasting and beefy enough to cause a problem................yet

Snow plough to clear lying snow on hospital,court yard car parks etc and yes they would use it for 2-3cm and they get updated from metoffice could only be precautionary but that,s what i was told so don't shoot the messenger.

Edited by booferking
  • Thanks 1

I think it will snow 100%. 2 to 3 inches. 4 for higher ground in worst affected areas. Based off a hunch ha. In these type of set ups you never really know how much there will be until the last moment and you can check what's following on in behind from the radar. I've plenty of smokes in and ready to stalk the lamppost tonight. 

Edited by StormyWeather28
  • Like 1

Posted
36 minutes ago, mountain shadow said:

No snow due in the East of Ulster until the wee small hours.

Yeh I thought that. Rain's on for the night then. Normally I'm excited by the prospect of snow but I'm feeling a bit under the weather at the minute, so I can't really be bothered  I'm sure if it arrives tho - it'll be a different story and I'll be all excited lol ...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow

Looking ahead, next weekend could be very interesting.

gfs-2-174_thumb_png_483c02761901b27798e9ad574ae32c3f.png

• Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, Sperrin said:

Looking ahead, next weekend could be very interesting.

gfs-2-174_thumb_png_483c02761901b27798e9ad574ae32c3f.png

A very wintry GFS 12z with heavy snow chances from Friday night throughout all of next week too.

No doubt the ECM 12z will not agree.

• Like 2