Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Ireland Regional Weather Discussion 13/12/2018 Onwards

Mapantz

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snooow
2 hours ago, Weegaz said:

Anyone ever saw a white rainbow this morning, or does this not class as a rainbow as it not coloured 

308CFD2F-494C-4D29-BACE-470C7616BAA6.jpeg

I think your rainbow has frozen over 

Posted
2 hours ago, Weegaz said:

Anyone ever saw a white rainbow this morning, or does this not class as a rainbow as it not coloured 

308CFD2F-494C-4D29-BACE-470C7616BAA6.jpeg

Nice one. That's a fog bow and rare to see. I've only ever see one and that was in Iceland back in 2018. 

Posted
1 hour ago, na52 said:

Anybody have or would have any recommendations with regards to a garden weather station ? 

I bought this one this year so far happy with purchase tells you everything you need to know.

YC9387_6_1024x1024.jpg?v=1589199660
YOUSHIKO.CO.UK

Latest 2020 UK Version , Youshiko YC9387 many features,  weather conditions forecast icons. Wireless...

• Thanks 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, BIG LAD said:

Temps maxed at 3.3c today. -0.3c already so should be another sharp frost.

The high with me today was 3.2c & already -0.7 hopefully cooling the soil temperature to get ready for the big snow in time for:santa-emoji:

• Like 1

Posted

What a cracking day. If we don't have snow then ice days and Fog is the next best thing. Put the Drone up this evening at sunset. Derry was buried in fog all day. Amazing 

screen_fcb5d6b73384bc8d_1607270306000-01.jpeg

• Like 5

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL

Max of 1.4c,coldest day since tbfte. Had my first air frost of the season last night ,-2.4c. 

Most of the frost today didn't thaw due to it being mostly foggy/misty all day.

• Like 1

Posted

A good thaw set in here about 11am. Only got above zero then. About 36 hours of sub zero! Loved it!

• Like 1

Posted

50 miles north of you, bit of cloud this morning, otherwise wall to wall sunshine, high about 3. Bird bath still frozen. Great looking at both Jupiter and Saturn yesterday and this evening.

• Like 2

Posted
31 minutes ago, Donegal said:

1c now and just had a 1 minute shower of sleet. Don't even see it on the radar but heard it hitting off the frozen roof and a cracking noise so went outside. Very icy.

Radar seems to have been down for a few days now. 

Posted

Hunt for snow is proving tricky, seems we have all the right notes not necessarily in the right order.  5/1 on a Belfast white Christmas bookies pushing price out.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow

Some interest starting to build around the big day...has been an increase in the snow row for Omagh from the GFS 0z to 6z. Nothing major but still hanging in the game by our fingernails.

graphe3_1000___-7.3_54.6_Omagh.gif

• Like 2

Posted

Great excitement in the MOD thread tonight and with good reason. Will keep myself occupied for the next 36 hours, if it’s still there when I check back in, I’ll start to believe!

• Like 1

Posted

It certainly was an enjoyable read tonight @Rocheydub! The Gefs haven't fully updated yet on meteoceil but check out how tight the ensembles are for Christmas day for Omagh. Almost certain to have, at least, cold air for the big day with a chance of seeing some of the white stuff!

graphe3_0000___-7.3_54.6_Omagh.gif

Edited by Sperrin
  • Like 2

Posted
3 hours ago, mountain shadow said:

When it starts snowing, then I'll believe it!

Maybe if we believe it , it will start snowing haha 

Posted

It seems the typical collapse of North Atlantic heights is about to happen again - though, to be fair, the models had a sniff of this quite some way out. It's always interesting to compare progression from T240 down to T0 - currently Christmas Day is around T168 (which is still too far out to call), but look at how the GFS/ECM ops have done so far for modelling it:

GFS Tuesday vs latest run

vs  

ECM Tuesday vs latest run

vs  

Absolutely typical - the models corrected the Atlantic low up to 1000 miles east between T240 and T168. 

However, something else is also typical - the models have corrected the new Atlantic low so much that Atlantic heights remain in situ, leading to the possibility of a second bite at the cherry a few days later. This morning's ECM clusters between T192 and T240 show a good number of ensembles going for the super-Scandi low plus super-Atlantic high.

Either way, it's going to get messy from 24th December onwards. Probably good for snow on Northern and Western hills - for coldies at sea level, enough to keep us interested, though it's starting to look like any potential snow may not be possible on Christmas Day itself. 

Still a bit to go, though!

Looking at the synoptic outputs, EC and GFS do 'seem' to be playing around with upper air patterns that are not dissimilar to the predicted 500 mb patterns on my oft used 500 mb anomaly charts. Some kind of upper flow from a noth of west direction with surface devlopments changing the direction of flow, but overall the flow is likely to be from north of west. Just what the actual surface pattern will be on any particular time in the next 4-5 days is far from clear. Enjoy the ride those that so enjoy times like this with the possibility of cold and snow, even if it does not happen. For those, perhaps new to this 'mad house' take time to discover how to 'read' the charts and posters angle on them. It will turn colder after the weekend. I suspect with a ridge which tends to suggest mostly dry weather but I could be wrong!

In amongst the hyperbole and petty squabbles there are some really interesting posts. I always pay close attention to @Man With Beard and @johnholmes and I note they've both mentioned the possibility of interest from a NW flow. Always good for us guys out west and I'll not complain too much if those suggestions become a reality.

Edited by Sperrin
  • Like 2

Posted

Getting exciting in the model thread, bbc weekly forecast tempers things a little as with met forecast. Can we get a touch of snow Christmas to new year? Would make the lock down a little easier and/or benefit the lockdown. 

• Like 1