Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Ireland Regional Weather Discussion 13/12/2018 Onwards

Mapantz

Posted
On 21/02/2020 at 07:25, Donegal said:

Persistent heavy rain and gusty wind since 1am ish. Will be flooding here today, rainfall accumulation fc plus what's fallen lately doesn't look good for Donegal. 

Met Eireann mention the possibility of frontal snowfall Sunday night for ulster and parts of Connacht. Hopefully we all see some snow as next week progresses. 

No end to the Atlantic onslaught in sight. Low after low after low.

Some Pm air on occasion gives some snow chances but generally just wet and windy.

Posted
1 hour ago, Donegal said:

Gfs 4am 7am. Icon total accumulated snow for Sunday/Monday. Looks like a dumping. Last frontal snow here was March last year. Sunday night will be a late one

Screenshot_20200222_161407_com.android.chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20200222_161422_com.android.chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20200222_163520_com.android.chrome.jpg

Is it not cruel though that it’s going to dump snow in the middle of the night then wash it away by morning?!

Posted
21 minutes ago, Sparky72 said:

Is it not cruel though that it’s going to dump snow in the middle of the night then wash it away by morning?!

Tis better to have dumped and washed than to never have dumped at all

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow

Haven't been looking too much at charts recently and have only caught up with this snow risk for Sunday into Monday. Looks good for me! 

Had a boat at the GFS ens for 12z and its not often you see snow risk for every single time frame from beginning to end!! 

Screenshot_20200222_191028.jpg

Posted

I can see slieve gallion from here, totally white.current temp, 3.3c. plenty of interest for tonight I see! Just hope temps get low enough for snow to fall and lay.

Posted
13 minutes ago, Sparky72 said:

Does anyone think there’ll be any snow lying away from high ground by morning tomorrow or is it all to have washed away by then?

Just seen a chart for 4am which showed snow starting to turn back to rain at my location.

Posted

Lovely sunny day now. Great to see after all the rain. Still cold and windy though. Temp up to 6.6c now.

Posted
9 minutes ago, ForeverPomeroysnow said:

Weather warning for snow and rain tonight, usual suspect areas should do well tonight 

You mean pomeroy and loughmacrory.lol

Posted

MetO warnings for Aldergrove and Belfast City Airport. 

Snow

Issued at:  Sun 23 Feb 2020 - 15:54 UTC

Valid from:  Mon 24 Feb 2020 - 00:00 UTC

Valid to:  Mon 24 Feb 2020 - 07:00 UTC

SNOW (OR RAIN AND SNOW MIXED) IS LIKELY TO OCCUR AT THE AIRFIELD. SLIGHT SNOWFALL IS FORECAST, WITH ACCUMULATIONS OF NIL-1 CM (MAINLY BETWEEN 0200 AND 0600 UTC). SNOW TYPE WET. VISIBILITY IS EXPECTED TO FALL BELOW 600M IN THE SNOWFALL, WITH A MINIMUM VISIBILITY OF 300 M.

Snow

Issued at:  Sun 23 Feb 2020 - 17:34 UTC

Valid from:  Mon 24 Feb 2020 - 01:00 UTC

Valid to:  Mon 24 Feb 2020 - 06:00 UTC

SNOW (OR RAIN AND SNOW MIXED) IS LIKELY TO OCCUR AT THE AIRFIELD. SLIGHT/MODERATE/HEAVY SNOWFALL IS FORECAST, WITH ACCUMULATIONS OF 0-1 CM. SNOW TYPE WET. VISIBILITY IS EXPECTED TO FALL BELOW 600M IN THE SNOWFALL, WITH A MINIMUM VISIBILITY Of 300 M. WINDS ARE EXPECTED TO BE GREATER THAN 15KT WITH THE POSSIBILITY OF DRIFTING AT TIMES.

• Like 1

Posted
17 minutes ago, Donegal said:

Just checked most of high resolution models and I'm surprised the warning from both mets is so understated. Met office pretty much going for above 100m, big accumulations above 200m. Met Eireann have snow mention in the fine print of their rain warning. 

Met Eireann do mention rain clearing in the morning but have rain sleet snow clearing ulster. I think they're under playing it because its happening during the night. 

I think some inland areas of Ulster areas will see 5 to 10cm and on higher ground 15cm +. Various models show a high for me tomorrow of 2 to 3c so the melt shouldn't be too extreme if that happens. Anyway just my opinion they obviously know much more than me, I just think they're playing it down as it's happening during the night. 

Hope your right Donegal , managed to convince the brother to come out early hours and try some of camera night time and hopefully snowy flash photography, so if nothing happens you can all have a good chortle in the morning

Posted

I’ve just set off on night shift on railway in Scotland, all the signs on motorway showing yellow snow warning, currently 2 degrees but feels a lot colder. I am like Michelin man that many layers on  home should do good tonight, have warned the wife

Posted
30 minutes ago, Steve Murr said:

I personally love rain to snow>
Watching the transition & the temp drop bit by bit is mesmerising !

Good luck guys

Remember New Years Eve being transfixed in 2009-2010 on the weather station, the temperature dropping like a stone, the very light rain turning to sleet at about 9pm, the sleet turning to proper snow, giving a light covering, then stopping. The temp had gone from +11C to -2 in about 3 hours. It started to sleet and rain again slightly.  I was so disappointed, that I just went to bed. Woke up to a belt of thunder at 2 am. Got out of bed, and the snow was belting down, all was white and New year had rung in beautifully for me!!! What followed was the stuff of legends.

I've never lost that feeling. I'll be staying up tonight to keep an eye out anyway!

• Like 7