Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Ireland Regional Weather Discussion 13/12/2018 Onwards

Mapantz

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL

Happy Christmas to all.

• Like 5

Posted

What an absolute crap start to winter! It's dire! Off to Iceland on the 10th for 10 days and even all the snow has melted up there. Hoping it turns colder again in time fore my trip. Hope you all had a great Christmas

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow

This time ten yrs ago imby it started snowing so I welcomed in a white new yr. Alas certainly not this yr. Happy new year to all. 

• Like 3

Posted

Happy New Year all.

Since my last post on the 16th the medium term prospects for snow remain appalling and I can't see anything happening until after the 22nd of January at least.

The Indian Ocean Dipole has waned so shouldn't inhibit the MJO orbit which will hopefully move into a favorable area of the planet for cold by month end. However, the caveat here, is that some other unknown will likely over run the MJO signal.

There remains the outside chance of tapping into some colder North Westerly air and even if we do, it would be short lived.

Posted
27 minutes ago, mountain shadow said:

Happy New Year all.

Since my last post on the 16th the medium term prospects for snow remain appalling and I can't see anything happening until after the 22nd of January at least.

The Indian Ocean Dipole has waned so shouldn't inhibit the MJO orbit which will hopefully move into a favorable area of the planet for cold by month end. However, the caveat here, is that some other unknown will likely over run the MJO signal.

There remains the outside chance of tapping into some colder North Westerly air and even if we do, it would be short lived.

Kinda over winter now, roll on spring!!

Posted
44 minutes ago, mountain shadow said:

Happy New Year all.

Indian Ocean Dipole (IOD) has weakened but need to see large Daily Contribution like the period around 24th-26th and i bet there will be lag event from this, winter is over for me couldn't care less now what happens here snow cold wise but would love to see the droughts and fires in OZ (been hellish for them) ease so hopefully IOD plays ball along with AAO negative southern annular mode.

Edited by booferking

Posted
1 minute ago, booferking said:

Indian Ocean Dipole (IOD) has weakened but need to see large Daily Contribution like the period around 24th-26th and i bet there will be lag event from this, winter is over for me couldn't care less now what happens here snow cold wise but would love to see the droughts and fires in OZ ease so hopefully IOD plays ball along with AAO negative southern annular mode.

And just has we all start to write of the remains of the Winter, GP has posted that things are looking up into week three of January with a vortex split. No doubt some other unforeseen teleconnection will scupper that too.

Posted
1 minute ago, mountain shadow said:

And just has we all start to write of the remains of the Winter, GP has posted that things are looking up into week three of January with a vortex split. No doubt some other unforeseen teleconnection will scupper that too.

Seen that update I'm off to Philippines 28th Feb for few weeks then Portugal so mean reason why I'm not that fussed even with split still need to roll that perfect 6 dice for this small isle to get anything decent snow cold wise.

Posted
15 hours ago, BIG LAD said:

Waiting for spring..

It's an awful looking set of runs over the last few days. Even suggestive height rises are gone next run!

The towel is in hand, the boxer is on his knees!

Posted

Unreal temps for tomorrow. Unnatural. Although I think this time last year was very mild too.

Posted

I recorded just shy of 17 degrees today on my weather station at 3.30 this afternoon. 16.85 to be precise. I'd imagine there will have been records broken today for January.

• Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, Rocheydub said:

I recorded just shy of 17 degrees today on my weather station at 3.30 this afternoon. 16.85 to be precise. I'd imagine there will have been records broken today for January.

Horrible to see but interesting at the same time 

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, ForeverPomeroysnow said:

I notice some chat of snow for Sunday,.anyone hearing this?

Reasonable chance it seems. As usual with gfs, uppers Might be mixed out a little by Sunday, but looks good for anywhere in north west especially with elevation.  

image.pngimage.thumb.png.9ad856373f45851bd56e79a167b6a1e2.png

Edited by Downburst
  • Like 1