Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Ireland Regional Weather Discussion 13/12/2018 Onwards

Mapantz

Getting back to that time of year again. Hopefully it's an interesting season. Glad we have this. The loons on boards are unreal. 

Man made climate change deniers galore. Who just started a thread there now. 

"Is Climate 'Activism' Becoming a Cult?"

"What exactly is the point of these mass and highly co-ordinated 'climate protests' lately, other than to prey on the most vulnerable minds (children) by telling them the world has 10 or 12 years left before it self-destructs?

And take this quote from UN GS Antonio Guterries:

"Mr. Guterres told the young activists that he feared “there is a serious conflict between people and nature, between people and the planet.” Saying that there is no time to lose, with so many people around the world already suffering from the impacts of climate change, the UN chief has been bluntly telling world leaders “don’t come to the Summit with beautiful speeches … come with concrete plans,” including carbon neutrality plans for 2050, options to tackle fossil fuel subsidies, taxing carbon and a possible end to new coal power sources after next year.".

https://news.un.org/en/story/2019/09/1046972

The attempt here to convince 'young activsts' that all of the worlds ills and sufferings are down to climate change is not only factually wrong, but increasingly quite sinister. Not only poisoning the minds of the most innocent of people, but also grossly misleading them by playing down the real politics and policies that do actually result in world misery, but I have to ask, to what end?

At least there as still some sane minds left in the world, but I fear that more and more, their voices will be muted:

EUROPEAN CLIMATE DECLARATION: THERE IS NO CLIMATE EMERGENCY

Date: 24/09/19Press Release, Climate Intelligence Foundation (CLINTEL)

As the latest U.N. climate summit begins in New York, a new, high-level global network of 500 prominent climate scientists and professionals has submitted a declaration that there is no “climate emergency”.

The group has sent a European Climate Declaration with a registered letter to António Guterres, Secretary-General of the United Nations.

Professor Guus Berkhout of The Netherlands, who organized the Declaration, said: “So popular is the Declaration with scientists and researchers worldwide that signatories are flooding in not only from within Europe but also from other countries such as the United States and Canada, Australia and New Zealand.”

The group’s letter warns the U.N. that “the general-circulation models of climate on which international policy is at present founded are unfit for their purpose”.

The Declaration adds that the models, which have predicted far more warming than they should, “are not remotely plausible as policy tools”, in that “they … exaggerate the effect of greenhouse gases such as CO2” and “ignore the fact that enriching the atmosphere with CO2 is beneficial”

https://www.thegwpf.co...o-climate-emergency/

We live in very, very curious times..."

That professor he mentions spent his whole life working for Shell and other gas companies and started a climate change denier institution. Funded by the koch brothers who are horrible bleeps. And co2 good for us jesus wept. 

I also want to say its amazing the amount of abuse towards Greta. Whether you agree or disagree is fine but to bully and mock and call a 16 year old girl when you're an adult is pathetic. Attack what she says not who she is. And the president of America mocking her in a tweet. What sort of twilight zone are we living in. The vast vast majority of science is in agreement that current climate change is man made. Wanting a cleaner earth whether you believe that or not is not a bad thing. Less pollution in the air is better for all of our healths and the wider environment. And like that post on loony boards.ie ask yourself. Who do you believe a guy who's pockets have been lined by fossil fuel companies his whole life or wider science. Every single country in the world signed up to the Paris accord apart from Syria(civil war) who have since signed and Nicaragua who felt it didn't go far enough. So that's right and left governments all around the world signing up to it. The right in America is pushing all these lies and bs don't fall it. Don't make it a right and left issue. Rant over. 

Edited by StormyWeather28
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes

Just saw the NHC advisory for Lorenzo which is now getting a little bit more credible that possibly overnight weds we will see some stormy weather over much of Ireland so personally myself I am going to be glued to all the posts now from today and really look forward to see how Lorenzo tracks as I had some day out in Ophelia 2 years ago and witnessed 3 huge trees fall down in Howth on the golf course that day and wind damage was widespread over the country. What was unusual about Ophelia was the lack of rain and it was mostly sunny at the height of the storm which was the complete opposite to ex hurricane Charley on August 26 th 1986 that dropped over 200mm of rain in Wicklow resulting in devastating floods in the rivers around Dublin and I was 15 years old at the time and was hooked ever since on extreme weather.So I am obviously aware for public safety but for storm lovers this is surely exciting times.

• Like 5

Posted

ECM makes little of Lorenzo regarding our island. It loses strength and veers eastward before reaching our shore. I'll follow NOAA on this though. They are the best resource IMO

Posted
10 hours ago, emmett garland said:

Just saw the NHC advisory for Lorenzo which is now getting a little bit more credible that possibly overnight weds we will see some stormy weather over much of Ireland so personally myself I am going to be glued to all the posts now from today and really look forward to see how Lorenzo tracks as I had some day out in Ophelia 2 years ago and witnessed 3 huge trees fall down in Howth on the golf course that day and wind damage was widespread over the country. What was unusual about Ophelia was the lack of rain and it was mostly sunny at the height of the storm which was the complete opposite to ex hurricane Charley on August 26 th 1986 that dropped over 200mm of rain in Wicklow resulting in devastating floods in the rivers around Dublin and I was 15 years old at the time and was hooked ever since on extreme weather.So I am obviously aware for public safety but for storm lovers this is surely exciting times.

Your story and mine are so similar. I was in Bray Co. Wicklow in the middle of Charlie and our car got stuck in flood waters. We made it back to north Dublin by nightfall, but I was so overwhelmed by the strength of mother nature, I've been a weather addict ever since. Oh, except I was 14 at the time!

Posted
4 minutes ago, Minus 10 said:

Quite bizarre how lorenzo takes a right angled turn and heads straight for ireland.

Jet Stream interaction?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, frost hail, ice.

John holmes, said earlier, that in all his years, hes never seen a storm behave like this.

Edited by Minus 10

Posted
29 minutes ago, Minus 10 said:

John holmes, said earlier, that in all his years, hes never seen a storm behave like this.

Indeed. This and Ophelia are strikingly similar in terms of origin and direction of travel. But bizarrely the first of their kind!

Posted
2 hours ago, Rocheydub said:

Jet Stream interaction?

Brexit?

its good to see this forum alive so early in the season, winter is coming and tonight outside it definitely felt like it’s coming sooner.

It could get rough overnight into Friday, be interesting model watching tomorrow into Thursday folks

Posted
4 hours ago, Donegal said:

Currently looking like I'll miss the worst of the winds with the centre moving over me or just to the South. Hoping it pushes further North and I'm on the Southern flank. I never seen a storm with so much uncertainty ever regarding track. 

just  be  safe there  could  get a  bit nasty  there !!

• Like 1

Posted
6 hours ago, Donegal said:

He's thirsty after a long journey and wants a Guinness. 

Lol good old irish humour, will we all leave a pint of guinness at our door step and hope lorenzo doesnt blow our house down.

Posted
22 hours ago, Eastantrim4 said:

So - from what anyone can work out...

How's this gonna affect the North East, specifically around the Larne area?

I'm guessing, probably not that much, maybe...

Pretty standard Autumnal fare for the north east of the island. Plenty of rain and high winds. That's it really. Thankfully the storm is dissipating now and it's a good thing, as there would have been widespread loss of life if it maintained it's strength of yesterday! It won't really get going until this evening for the eastern part of the country too.

Posted

Heavy rain setting in now and wind picked up also. Nothing of note yet.

• Like 1

Posted

starting to pick up here in Galway, light rain showers, fresh to strong winds gusting gale, definately not nice to be out in.

pouring rain now.

pressure of 995.6 hpa falling rapidly.

Edited by Minus 10