Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Ireland Regional Weather Discussion 13/12/2018 Onwards

Mapantz

Posted

Manky night, bins been over a few times and the tree across the road down on the neighbour's car! 

Outlook is 30/70 for cold and snowy weather IMHO. More tomorrow!

Posted

It is what it is and nothing we can do about it, but it  looks like this pathetic winter is going even more downhill next week,  with very mild most southerly winds no doubt bringing plenty of cloud and  drizzle ......oh well at least we won the rugby......maybe winter will have a sting in it's tail but not expecting anything to be honest.....

Posted

Snow.  North Belfast. Up hill a bit. 

I know it won't come to much but still nice to see again 

Never in my life do I recall such a boring boring winter. No decent cold and snowy spell, no storms worth talking about, not even a nice crisp week with severe frosts and ice/almost ice days. Just never ending bland sh ite. I don't remember they're ever being a winter without at least one of those three things happening. 

And the outlook is just puke. 

• Like 1

Posted
7 minutes ago, StormyWeather28 said:

Never in my life do I recall such a boring boring winter. No decent cold and snowy spell, no storms worth talking about, not even a nice crisp week with severe frosts and ice/almost ice days. Just never ending bland sh ite. I don't remember they're ever being a winter without at least one of those three things happening. 

And the outlook is just puke. 

Agreed.

Carryduff only had one decent fall of snow and I missed it,  as was in Dublin! !!@@#

• Like 1

Posted
On 16/01/2019 at 13:11, Rocheydub said:

We will be terribly unlucky if we don't get a decent cold spell this winter. Terribly!

As they say on the MOD thread “egg on face”!

While I’m obviously very disappointed with how it all panned out, the post mortem is quite fascinating. Certainly a learning curve for some of the most learned on here and for some of us (me included) who yet again got our hopes up at HLB charts showing outside the 120/144 range so many times this winter.

Still a chance ala March last year, but I’m absolutely not investing time in that now, my fingers have been burned too many time this winter!

• Like 5

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL

Very nice weather here today, like yesterday. Very springlike. However never ever trust good weather at this time of yr imo. The weather could end up having a trick or two up it's sleeve. 

Posted
54 minutes ago, parrotingfantasist said:

15C next Friday in many spots. Almost Summer stuff here.

Had that today, I'll be digging out the shorts this time next week! Absolute sh1t3ball of a winter, especially after all the promise. My kids want a holiday to Greenland to make up for my false promises!

Edited by Rocheydub
  • Like 1

Posted
10 hours ago, Rocheydub said:

Had that today, I'll be digging out the shorts this time next week! Absolute sh1t3ball of a winter, especially after all the promise. My kids want a holiday to Greenland to make up for my false promises!

Seems fair enough Rochey, take nice pics

Posted
12 hours ago, Rocheydub said:

You won't be promising anything next year haha!  Not until it's in the 2 day range Lol

I was looking at the Worlds snowiest cities and I'm dumbfounded at this one. 

3rd Snowiest city in the world Toyoma Japan, 3.8m of snow. That's 12ft 5.6 inches of snow on average each year. Almost all falls December to March. Now this is the crazy part. 

Toyoma climate data 1981-2010

December average high 9.6c / low 2.4 / record low -8.4. Average snowfall 22 inches 

January average high 6c / low -0.1 / record low -11.9c. Average snowfall 63 inches. 

February average high 6.8c / low -0.3 / record low -11.1c. Average snowfall 49 inches. 

March average high 10.9c / low 2.2c / record low -7. Average snowfall 14 inches. 

As I'm inland and close to the border with Northern Ireland I checked the Met Office climate data for Northern Ireland 1981-2010. It has a lot of individual stations to check with big differences between coastal and inland however this is the average of all. 

December average high 7.3c / low 1.7c / record low Castlederg -18.7c

January average high 7c / low 1.4c 

February average high 7.4c / low 1.2c

March average high 9.6c / low 2.4c. 

Now as you can see it's pretty similar average temperature wise. Our averages reflect that the mild SW winds are our predominant wind direction. However from them to receive so much snow yet have such mild averages is mind blowing to me lol. 

We hit 55° degrees North of the equator, they're  a mere 36° degrees North of the equator. Seville in the extreme south of Spain is further North at 37° degrees. It just shows how incredible unfortunate we are when it comes to snowfall. 

Edited by StormyWeather28
  • Like 3