Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Ireland Regional Weather Discussion 13/12/2018 Onwards

Mapantz

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: continental climate

Some images from this weeks snowfall in Slovakia. Its shaping up to be a nice January, some places have seen 25 plus consecutive days with snowfall

kalamita-1-1.jpg

kalamita-6-676x450.jpg

autobus-3-676x451.jpg

sneh-2-1-676x507.jpg

• Like 5

Posted
12 minutes ago, jules216 said:

Some images from this weeks snowfall in Slovakia. Its shaping up to be a nice January, some places have seen 25 plus consecutive days with snowfall

kalamita-1-1.jpg

kalamita-6-676x450.jpg

autobus-3-676x451.jpg

sneh-2-1-676x507.jpg

That's just crazy!! Send some this way please. Lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: continental climate
5 minutes ago, ronan said:

That's just crazy!! Send some this way please. Lol

I hope you get some snow. I have seen images of snow on top of Wicklow mountains from yesterday. I will miss them when they get dumping. There is something special abut going snow hunting with kids to Sally Gap or Wicklow Gap, stopping in Glencree for a coffee and lunch,then getting hit by 5 o'clock heavy snow shower, looking out at rainfall radar for streamers at 11PM  Now here in Slovakia it is just relentlessly cold compared to Ireland. Overnight frost 90% of the time in winter, quite regular snow showers, you just don't appreciate it so much as in Ireland. By the end of winter you get fed up with putting 5 layers of clothes on for kids when you have to rush to school  

• Like 2

Posted
18 minutes ago, jules216 said:

I hope you get some snow. I have seen images of snow on top of Wicklow mountains from yesterday. I will miss them when they get dumping. There is something special abut going snow hunting with kids to Sally Gap or Wicklow Gap, stopping in Glencree for a coffee and lunch,then getting hit by 5 o'clock heavy snow shower, looking out at rainfall radar for streamers at 11PM  Now here in Slovakia it is just relentlessly cold compared to Ireland. Overnight frost 90% of the time in winter, quite regular snow showers, you just don't appreciate it so much as in Ireland. By the end of winter you get fed up with putting 5 layers of clothes on for kids when you have to rush to school  

Suppose once it becomes the norm then I can understand why you would get sick of 5 layers everyday. Lol. Hopefully we get out snow before its too late. I am quietly confident regarding this coming Monday/Tuesday.

Posted
5 minutes ago, ronan said:

Guys it looks like parts of Fermanagh got a load of snow this morning. Just seen on Facebook!

the mountain tops here in the southeast are covered in snow this morning so would have expected places further north to have seen some of the white stuff alright 

• Like 1

Posted
26 minutes ago, ronan said:

Suppose once it becomes the norm then I can understand why you would get sick of 5 layers everyday. Lol. Hopefully we get out snow before its too late. I am quietly confident regarding this coming Monday/Tuesday.

48hr window period with that trough dropping with snow then snow showers i will take that right now then the fi much better for us going forward heights getting ever closer to Greenland Bank the 6z.

Edited by booferking
  • Like 1

Posted

GFS 6z isn't bad at all. Still has the rain to snow event Monday night into Tuesday with a wintry looking Tuesday with sleet/snow showers from the North West. Then cold and mainly dry with a very good set up as it tries to push the Atlantic in from the South West, where the Atlantic meets the cold air already embedded means a snowiest for some.

Posted
1 minute ago, booferking said:

48hr window period with that trough dropping for snow then snow showers i will take that right now then the fi much better for us going forward heights getting ever closer to Greenland Bank the 6z.

Next Saturday looks potentially very good, with bitter cold winds from the South East and frequent snow showers, perhaps an area of heavier snow in the South East of the island.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm Summer. Snowy Winter.
1 minute ago, mountain shadow said:

GFS 6z isn't bad at all. Still has the rain to snow event Monday night into Tuesday with a wintry looking Tuesday with sleet/snow showers from the North West. Then cold and mainly dry with a very good set up as it tries to push the Atlantic in from the South West, where the Atlantic meets the cold air already embedded means a snowiest for some.

Would I be right in saying that day 9/10 looks like it is a great run for Ireland, snow potential wise?

Posted
1 minute ago, O'Maille80 said:

Would I be right in saying that day 9/10 looks like it is a great run for Ireland, snow potential wise?

Yes. First snow arriving days 3/4 then mainly dry and cold with further snow perhaps on days 8 and thereafter. 

This can and probably will change though!

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, mountain shadow said:

Yes. First snow arriving days 3/4 then mainly dry and cold with further snow perhaps on days 8 and thereafter. 

This can and probably will change though!

Thanks for the reply, lets hope we all get a good plastering. Unbelievable potential going forward and earlier than last year too.

Posted
3 minutes ago, O'Maille80 said:

Thanks for the reply, lets hope we all get a good plastering. Unbelievable potential going forward and earlier than last year too.

Don't get too excited yet, it could still all go wrong!

Posted
8 minutes ago, mountain shadow said:

Next Saturday looks potentially very good, with bitter cold winds from the South East and frequent snow showers, perhaps an area of heavier snow in the South East of the island.

Yea early Sunday Morning through to Sunday Night.

gfs-0-216.png

gfs-0-228.png

Posted
2 minutes ago, mountain shadow said:

Don't get too excited yet, it could still all go wrong!

Well aware of that, I like to see the potential though, keeps the hopes up. It might turn out completely different and we end up getting snow in different set ups or not at all but it's looking like we will have to be unlucky not to get a bit of the action in the next 2/3 weeks.

Posted

Perfect setup. Snow on the ground Monday/Tuesday then cold and dry to keep the snow on the ground then maybe a wee top up later in the week. One thing for sure there isn't anything mild on the way anytime soon. Good times. 

Posted
15 minutes ago, ronan said:

Definitely good to see Pom. I really have a feeling that we are going in to the freezer whether or not we see a pile of snow or not then I will settle for ice days and winter sunshine. Here is a few shots from my trip to Iceland last week. It was class. No snow all week until the Friday then there was loads.

RON_8887-HDR-Edit-2.jpg

RON_9057-Edit-2.jpg

RON_9076.jpg

RON_9080-Edit.jpg

RON_9083.jpg

WOW

• Like 1

Posted

Trying my hardest not to get swept along with the comments re next week. 

I was reading back through thread for this time last year..... the promise, the anticipation, the excitement followed by the marginality, the jealousy, the frustration and the disappointment!!!

looks promising though!!