Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Ireland Regional Weather Discussion 13/12/2018 Onwards

Mapantz

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow

Don't know if you use Twitter but Judah Cohen just replied (favourably) to a question I just posted 

Screenshot_20190102-142509.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL

This day 40 yrs ago the lowest  irish temp of the 20th century was recorded . -18.8c at Lullymore County Kildare. 2nd Jan 1979

Posted

In fairness the update is ok for us. We still have the chance of snow to lower levels from mid month. Yes it might not be snow nirvana just yet but it is way far more positive for us than those living in the south hence the meltdown and negative posts in mod thread. So in fairness it hasn’t changed much for us today bar a slight delayed to prolonged cold. It’s just basic winter weather for our region which I’m quite happy with. But I do agree with MS that the SSW is a load of tosh if u base all ur hopes on that. It won’t happen that way as it’s a big gamble and it’s not something I have ever had much faith in so I’m not to despondent 

Edited by Neiller22

Posted

Yep here comes the Easterly brigade on model thread it's becoming pretty clear to me that any heights rises towards Greenland fail to establish everytime even when the pv spilt favours that location.

icon-0-180 (2).png

Posted
25 minutes ago, booferking said:

Yep here comes the Easterly brigade on model thread it's becoming pretty clear to me that any heights rises towards Greenland fail to establish everytime even when the pv spilt favours that location.

icon-0-180 (2).png

image.thumb.png.0c634d09ce03185e70c0d907b89ea24d.png

UKMO on the other hand. No idea what it means but if the Model thread says its an improvement..

Posted
12 minutes ago, parrotingfantasist said:

image.thumb.png.0c634d09ce03185e70c0d907b89ea24d.png

UKMO on the other hand. No idea what it means but if the Model thread says its an improvement..

Looks another northerly clipper move everything few hundred miles then your talking.

Posted

God wake me up in June! This winter is abysmal ! Boring the tics of me. Worst in a long time for  anything remotely interesting. And all on the back of the best background signals ever. 

Posted

Your right Neiller, it has been dire. I've seen Winters which were worse than this but in those Winters there was nothing in the long range output to warrant any excitement anyway. This Winter has been the Winter that so far has delivered nothing despite all the great potential and background signals.

That said, i am again hopefull of something better from mid month towards the end of the month, and if the cold and snow does set in, it should be a longer term affair.

As ever, we wait until tomorrow comes........................

Edited by mountain shadow

Posted

It's always the 10 day charts that have the potential and that has been every 10 day since November. Lol. As you say MS it's from mid month on that has the potential. 

Posted
1 hour ago, ForeverPomeroysnow said:

A lot of jam tomorrow with these charts, still I look to the 16th of Jan with childlike hope

Look no longer.....................

image.thumb.png.96b1e0a3a7d560367ce0e3ead9d83b89.pngimage.thumb.png.00379121d9cbee98eba66c179b65da95.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow

GFS ensembles starting to look good. This is for Omagh...

graphe3_1000___-7.3_54.6_Omagh.gif

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: continental climate

Have moved home to Slovakia on 15.12.18 after living 14 years in Ireland and can tell you I have missed so much those cold crispy mornings, intermittent snowfalls and doing things outdoors,like skating on frozen lakes playing ice hockey,alpine skiing,sledging,you name it,feel sorry for Irish kids who endure this endless dull crap bar 1 week every few years when snow settles. More snow expected here on Tuesday/Wednesday and temperatures below freezing throughout.By mid February we will all have had enough of winter and in a march can expect near 20C,April 25C and May 28C

IMG_20190104_161406.jpg

• Like 6

Posted
9 hours ago, jules216 said:

Have moved home to Slovakia on 15.12.18 after living 14 years in Ireland and can tell you I have missed so much those cold crispy mornings, intermittent snowfalls and doing things outdoors,like skating on frozen lakes playing ice hockey,alpine skiing,sledging,you name it,feel sorry for Irish kids who endure this endless dull crap bar 1 week every few years when snow settles. More snow expected here on Tuesday/Wednesday and temperatures below freezing throughout.By mid February we will all have had enough of winter and in a march can expect near 20C,April 25C and May 28C

IMG_20190104_161406.jpg

All the best with your move home Jules, I am sure you won't miss our rubbish weather!! Make sure you pop in and say hello every now and then

Posted
21 minutes ago, ForeverPomeroysnow said:

All the best with your move home Jules, I am sure you won't miss our rubbish weather!! Make sure you pop in and say hello every now and then

@ForeverPomeroysnow Thanks,I will be posting here for sure,there are a few of us here that live in central Europe like @Seasonality @daz_4 @carinthian @jvenge and few more.Will remember my last Irish summer as the best and of course beast from the east.Last few months were crap and on my arrival home I was met with countrywide snowfall,was driving 325km from airport in 10-15cm fresh snow landscape.Having read on other Irish forum that some stations had less then 20 hours of sunshine in a 4 week period I am glad to have exchanged it for sunny crispy mornings. Of course under Euro High we have low cloud and freezing fog in central EU but not this winter luckily

• Like 5

Posted

Njoy. Lucky you because this endless borefest of a winter just keeps on going with no end in sight. And I’m just not talking about snow but anything remotely seasonal! We have had much better winters in the past without this much hyped SSW that’s seems to be the new buzz letters of the last few years! It’s utter nonsense. Give me cold zonality any day over this stupid chasing of the SSW that may not even deliver anyway. And to be honest it’s heading that way. Anyway rant over I’m away for a run in this dull, cloudy, miserable, generally mild excuse of a winter.

• Like 1

Posted

It's a cloudy day. AGAIN..............

Posted

I eagerly await a spot of sunshine tomorrow afternoon, before heading back into hibernation for another week of cloudy and damp rubbish.

Edited by parrotingfantasist
Dung

Posted
2 hours ago, somofagun said:

Hope this crap about brexit didn't make u leave jules

@somofagunPartially to blame was the colossal increase of rent in 2016 by about 70% which put our family budget in to negative equity. We were digging in to our savings and decided for future of our children to return home. Ireland seems to be going the wrong way in killing lower middle class population. The worse of are families with income around 35 000-45 000 per year with 2 children, which was our case. You are outside all the benefit criteria(FIS,Medical card) but far far away to be able to sustain paying 1500e rent, car tax,insurance,petrol etc etc. I have great concern for Ireland in this respect as there is increasing gap between poor and rich. In Slovakia we get to have kids in school and pre-school 7 AM to 4:30PM, cooked hot lunch for 50€ per month!, our mortgage is 126€ per month for 3 bedroom apartment. The bonus is the weather which people take for granted, after living for so long in Irish climate I have learned to appreciate warm sunny days and days with snowfall.

Posted

Sorry Jules that you had to leave because of the way this country is heading.  But you are right and you were right to leave. it's getting harder and harder to make ends meet etc. The middle classes are being squeesed so much. The way this country is run makes me feel rather bitter. In fact it fills me with anger at times. 

As for the weather well the last few weeks have been very uninteresting.  But I'm hopeful that the 2nd half of winter will be somewhat more interesting.

• Thanks 1

Posted
1 hour ago, sundog said:

Sorry Jules that you had to leave because of the way this country is heading.  But you are right and you were right to leave. it's getting harder and harder to make ends meet etc. The middle classes are being squeesed so much. The way this country is run makes me feel rather bitter. In fact it fills me with anger at times. 

As for the weather well the last few weeks have been very uninteresting.  But I'm hopeful that the 2nd half of winter will be somewhat more interesting.

Do not want to sound negative as Ireland gave me a lot and have only fond memories, your friends and colleagues can not do much for the stupid political decisions and the way society is calibrated and trained to function every day. Not important issues are being fed to society yet the big issues are deliberately ignored. It is not much different in Slovakia. Life is a fight to stay on the right side of the cliff with tendency to fall of if you loose focus/income temporarily. This ultimately leads to increased rates of  depressions, addictions, burn out syndromes and fragile society. This is then easily manipulated by media and various agenda. Almost like there is no common sense present anymore. We fix our immediate selfish unimportant desires with quick access to cash and product, but have forgotten the strong personal ethos which we should unselfishly spread around, unfortunately 

• Like 4

Posted
5 hours ago, Neiller22 said:

Njoy. Lucky you because this endless borefest of a winter just keeps on going with no end in sight. And I’m just not talking about snow but anything remotely seasonal! We have had much better winters in the past without this much hyped SSW that’s seems to be the new buzz letters of the last few years! It’s utter nonsense. Give me cold zonality any day over this stupid chasing of the SSW that may not even deliver anyway. And to be honest it’s heading that way. Anyway rant over I’m away for a run in this dull, cloudy, miserable, generally mild excuse of a winter.

Yes, the chaotic nature of the atmosphere is being overshadowed by personal cold bias preference that has been fueled by certain posters 

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, jules216 said:

Do not want to sound negative as Ireland gave me a lot and have only fond memories, your friends and colleagues can not do much for the stupid political decisions and the way society is calibrated and trained to function every day. Not important issues are being fed to society yet the big issues are deliberately ignored. It is not much different in Slovakia. Life is a fight to stay on the right side of the cliff with tendency to fall of if you loose focus/income temporarily. This ultimately leads to increased rates of  depressions, addictions, burn out syndromes and fragile society. This is then easily manipulated by media and various agenda. Almost like there is no common sense present anymore. We fix our immediate selfish unimportant desires with quick access to cash and product, but have forgotten the strong personal ethos which we should unselfishly spread around, unfortunately 

It's sad what is going on in Ireland at the mo. A lot of people being left behind as our world class politicians do nothing for the working people. Who are coincidentally losing the most out of the housing crisis and Brexit.

Life has also shown all of us how quick it is to be shoved into the deep end. But we come out stronger as always.

All the best for you in Slovenia, its a beautiful country