Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Ireland Regional Weather Discussion 13/12/2018 Onwards

Mapantz

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL

It is surely just a matter of time before we get some proper winter weather. Everything seems to be pointing to it.

Posted
15 hours ago, Neiller22 said:

Just bear in mind the models may drop the idea again and reintroduce during next week. It’s never plain sailing. 

There goes the models dropping the idea of a white xmas as i thought would happen. Oooooo GFS you are so predictable.  Next phase will be for it be re-introduced in a few days time  

Posted

I think I'll give it one more set of 12z before chucking the towel in on a white Christmas. 

Still the small chance of a toppler. 

Edited by mountain shadow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather, thunderstorms, snow

Jeez what a day!!

Totally agree with Neiller22 with regard to dropping of the cold signal for Christmas only to gather pace again in the coming days. It’s always unfolds this way as the models struggle to make sense of the volatility. I just wish that people in the MAD thread would realise this and acquire the ability to look beyond current output. It’s tiresome wading through the doom and gloom “it’s not gonna snow until March “ rubbish!

I’m by no means convinced that it’s going to happen but I’m certainly aware of the potential and with that comes great enthusiasm and excitement. For many years I’ve stared at flat zonal charts with E Canada farting low after low at us. Well this year appears to be different thankfully and I expect lots to look forward to. So much so that I left two spare wheels with the local garage man, with instructions to have snow tyres on em before Christmas Worst case scenario they’ll gather dust in the shed but hopefully over the coming weeks I’ll be out in the snow with my fingers falling off as I grip the wheel brace

Anyway nice to come in here and see a lot of positive realism. Keep the faith folks. It’s that glimmer of hope that has us here after all.

Micheal

• Like 2

Posted

What a day, imagine all the rain was snow 

Looks like i’m going to be in the digger tomorrow, couple of sheugh’s need cleared, water built up big time, fields are flooded

Not many comments in the MOD thread today, hopefully come to life again middle of the week when good charts showing again 

Edited by Weegaz

Posted

The bad news is Christmas will be green, the good news is Neiller won't have to worry about working it now!

No sign at all now of the strat warming getting any cold into us soon.

Might be the end of January.

Posted
8 minutes ago, mountain shadow said:

The bad news is Christmas will be green, the good news is Neiller won't have to worry about working it now!

ha ha. Looking that way MS so beer and turkey for me now xmas day. Unless things change rapidly i think the Met office long range will start to move away now from the cold they were expecting.  Def things looking awful last two days. 

Posted
43 minutes ago, ronan said:

Can't just say that nothing is going to happen around the Xmas period when even the models don't have a clue. Still plenty time for change. 

Exactly Ronnan, As awful as i think the charts are at the moment and xmas looks mild I still think there is a high chance the models will flip right back to cold around Xmas . I expected them to flip from cold then to crap before flipping back to cold, Interesting times ahead i think. If nothing else its all good craic!

Posted
13 hours ago, mountain shadow said:

Hmmm, not the charts I just looked at. Looks likely between Dec 25th and jan 1st.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather, thunderstorms, snow
22 minutes ago, Rocheydub said:

Hmmm, not the charts I just looked at. Looks likely between Dec 25th and jan 1st.

Quite right Rochey. Everything seems to be shaping up nicely. Also worth noting @mountain shadow SSW was never progged to have an effect over the Christmas period. The delayed strat/trop response due to downwelling means that if we’re on the lucky side we likely won’t see any effect until early Jan at best. The potential  cold over Christmas is to be driven by other teleconnective forcings (far beyond my ken) which the models will likely struggle with so expect plenty of flip flopping in the coming days. 

• Like 2

Posted
9 hours ago, Rocheydub said:

And today?

I see nothing in the models indicating anything wintry in the next couple of weeks.

Posted

Another warning for wind and rain. ! If only they were all for snow lately we would be digging ourselves out at the min. Anyway good things come to those who wait. 

• Like 1

Posted

Don’t venture in mod thread. It’s all going the way of Pete tong! Meltdown has taken over. Toys out of Pram etc etc etc 

Edited by Neiller22

Posted

Don’t understand it really. The SSW is not due until months end, it can take 2 weeks for it to transfer down to tropspheric meaning for us... 

Posted
25 minutes ago, mountain shadow said:

The Met Office seem bullish from the start of January, so fingers crossed.

They do indeed but more of an easterly now. Good for east coast of Ireland as a whole but cold and dry elsewhere going by that update. To me it’s a slight reduction in severity reading that. But def still going for cold mayb a smigin less bullish. All to play for though. 

Posted
44 minutes ago, Neiller22 said:

They do indeed but more of an easterly now. Good for east coast of Ireland as a whole but cold and dry elsewhere going by that update. To me it’s a slight reduction in severity reading that. But def still going for cold mayb a smigin less bullish. All to play for though. 

They do mention fronts moving in from the Atlantic and we do very well out of those as the winds would turn South Easterly. Anyhow, shows how bad things are when we're talking about events three weeks away that may or may not occur.

Posted
27 minutes ago, mountain shadow said:

They do mention fronts moving in from the Atlantic and we do very well out of those as the winds would turn South Easterly. Anyhow, shows how bad things are when we're talking about events three weeks away that may or may not occur.

Yep. And things 3 weeks don’t happen very often. All we can do is hope but for the first time I’m starting to doubt cold in jan. 

Posted

bbc newsline giving temps of 11 degrees on xmas eve!! think i can now kiss goodbye to any chance of seasonal weather. Honestly how many mild xmas's do we  have to endure

i starting to fear the met office long range will start to delay the onset of any cold weather from now on with each update moving away from cold weather and snow in Jan

Edited by Neiller22