Sign in to follow this  
HighPressure

Save our Christmas Songs

I am totally gobsmacked that the snowflake generation are laying into our Christmas songs.

I believe 'Baby its cold outside' has been a target along with Fairy Tail of New York, 'Do They Know its Christmas' and wait for it 'Jingle Bells' is now racist.

What on earth is going on???     

Actually most of the 'snowflake generation' couldnt care less, again it's a few making the whole lot look bad.

Pretty much every poll on the matter still has overwhelming support for keeping the song, even in the millennial age range.

It seems now days, it's the fashion to take offence to everything just to get on the front cover of the Sun and to have their 15 minutes of fame.  I don't think these people that take offence to everything realise just how pathetic they come across!  As I keep saying - the world has well and truly gone mad!

im sick to the back teeth of most crimbo songs... "fairytale of new york" not only ISNT a crimbo song, its become a cliche, along with slade, wizzard, mariah, wham, etc.

imho the biggest crime is that the snowflake generation havnt got the gumption, talent, creativity, to compose NEW crimbo songs. most of the crimbo songs we hear come from a 22 year period....'73 - 95. and its the annual reeling out of these 'classics' that has made them overplayed and has now destroyed their personal nostalgic value.

addressing the original post... is there actually any evidence that those songs are being targeted by snowflakes? or is it just a couple of opinions?

1 hour ago, Lauren said:

Actually most of the 'snowflake generation' couldnt care less, again it's a few making the whole lot look bad.

Pretty much every poll on the matter still has overwhelming support for keeping the song, even in the millennial age range.

And, as long as there's another 'few' ready to take the bait...?🤔

I can't stand Fairytale of NewYork, not because of the lyrics I just dislike it as a song. However going through each song nick picking on what it could mean is quite frankly sad. These songs are years old and no one has cared till now? I dare say there are plenty of songs that should be banned if people want to get more offended. 

This getting offended is really out of hand. 

4 hours ago, mushymanrob said:

im sick to the back teeth of most crimbo songs... "fairytale of new york" not only ISNT a crimbo song, its become a cliche, along with slade, wizzard, mariah, wham, etc.

You've not seen it sung as a duet by Andrew Lincoln and Marc Almond, whilst they are waltzing up a cathedral aisle 😄    That is something to behold.  

The Pogues version is very staid and boring and rubbish though, in comparison.

1 hour ago, Essan said:

You've not seen it sung as a duet by Andrew Lincoln and Marc Almond, whilst they are waltzing up a cathedral aisle 😄    That is something to behold.  

The Pogues version is very staid and boring and rubbish though, in comparison.

Crazy talk, lol.😂

Of all the songs mentioned, F of NY (Pogues version) is the only one with even an ounce of substance. With very few exceptions, Christmas songs are terrible: shallow, schmaltzy drivel (I do like Carols though).

In general, there is a curious trend of sanitising older songs. The Cole Porter standard 'I Get a Kick Out Of You' contains a verse starting 'Some get a kick from cocaine...', but no-one sings that anymore.

The Vamps covered 'Cecilia' in recent years and omitted the verse about 'making love in the afternoon'. Edgy stuff.

Perhaps most egregiously, when All Saints covered 'Under the Bridge' they avoided singing the 'under the bridge downtown is where I drew some blood' section, thus rendering the whole song completely meaningless (it's about Anthony Keidis's heroin addiction).

Would anyone have cared if they'd just all been left as they were?

I think its a very sad state of affairs if the only thing some people have to do is pick through old songs to try and attribute meanings which for the rest of us just aren't there. You scumbag, you maggot, you cheap lousy faggot, is simply a throw away line, meant only to set a scene, it deserves no more scrutiny than that.

Yes most Christmas songs are terrible and cheesy, but in truth they are meant to be heard after a few drinks anyway, its suppose to be nothing more than a bit of fun.

Having said that my favorite 'Christmas song' is Greg Lakes ' I believe in Father Christmas' a very poignant song, with meaning.

i'm offended by most christmas songs because they are all sentimental crap

18 hours ago, Yarmy said:

With very few exceptions, Christmas songs are terrible: shallow, schmaltzy drivel

....... but isnt that the very point of crimbo songs?

10 hours ago, HighPressure said:

I think its a very sad state of affairs if the only thing some people have to do is pick through old songs to try and attribute meanings which for the rest of us just aren't there. You scumbag, you maggot, you cheap lousy faggot, is simply a throw away line, meant only to set a scene, it deserves no more scrutiny than that.

Yes most Christmas songs are terrible and cheesy, but in truth they are meant to be heard after a few drinks anyway, its suppose to be nothing more than a bit of fun.

Having said that my favorite 'Christmas song' is Greg Lakes ' I believe in Father Christmas' a very poignant song, with meaning.

Yes, that's a good one: one of the exceptions. Quite relevant to the this forum too...'but it just kept on raining'.

40 minutes ago, mushymanrob said:

....... but isnt that the very point of crimbo songs?

Doesn't have to be, I think. When I was 15, I had a Saturday job at a shoe shop and we had 2 xmas albums on continuous loop during November and December. Drove me nuts.

20 minutes ago, Yarmy said:

Doesn't have to be, I think. When I was 15, I had a Saturday job at a shoe shop and we had 2 xmas albums on continuous loop during November and December. Drove me nuts.

well im struggling to think of any (pop) crimbo songs that arent shallow, schmaltzy drivel . (ftony the exception) . and tbh, i think its apt for such an enforced 'season of fun'.

oh dear...i really feel for you having those inflicted upon you. "enforced enjoyment" ... we play those song, you are now allowed to celebrate crimbo, arent you happy now?...

Apparently, Jesus has got something to do with this enforced season of fun, not a lot of people know that.

6 minutes ago, lassie23 said:

Apparently, Jesus has got something to do with this enforced season of fun, not a lot of people know that.

I was right then - Man City should never have signed him?

Just now, Ed Stone said:

I was right then - Man City should never have signed him?

I think they were expecting him to perform miracles

2 minutes ago, lassie23 said:

I think they were expecting him to perform miracles

He might even be walking on water, this weekend?

1 hour ago, lassie23 said:

who?....

44 minutes ago, cheeky_monkey said:

you are all just miserable bar stewards

I have some fantastic news: somebody has claimed to be 'offended' by all the Xmas sheet they've been playing in my local Tesco...Oh, the joys of relative silence. Am I complaining? Am I flock!:yahoo: 

30 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

I have some fantastic news: somebody has claimed to be 'offended' by all the Xmas sheet they've been playing in my local Tesco...Oh, the joys of relative silence. Am I complaining? Am I flock!:yahoo: 

i only get offended by Chrimbo sheet before Dec 1 and after Dec 26

what would I rather watch at Christmas Die hard or Elf?🤔 Where would i rather be on Christmas Day..... relatives on in my own house doing and watching what I want🤔 What would I rather listen to Christmas day........Christmas shyte or anything else 🤔