Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Anyone know what's happened to the Bonacina/O'Hara snowfall page?

Posted

I was just wondering if anyone knows what has happened to the Bonacina/O'Hara, British Winter snowfall page? I had been checking it out in recent weeks to see if it had been updated to include its analysis of Winter 2017/18, only for it not to have done, despite updating last year to include Winter 2016/17 in October. Then very recently the page has gone down altogether. It would be a shame for it to have disappeared as despite obviously been pretty subjective with the odd few rankings I wouldn't really agree with, it was still a pretty good reference point for assessing how snowy or not particular Winters were.

Edited by Walsall Wood Snow

Posted
14 minutes ago, Radiating Dendrite said:

Cheers. Seems they've gone for a ranking of 'Average', which seems about right really. Here anyway we did quite well with the short lived snowy spell which started a year ago today, then the beast in late February/early March and then again the mini beast around mid March. Although obviously those later spells were going into and within Spring in the meteorological sense of the seasons and a lot of the country didn't get any meaningful snow until then last 'Winter' anyway, so some might even argue that it should really be ranked as 'Little'.

However I think 'Average' is a fair assessment when you consider how a lot of the Midlands and Wales did quite well in the December. There was even snow we didn't get here on Boxing Day just south of here which lasted a few days. Also in January I believe Scotland had one or two big episodes along with fairly frequent snow showers here at least which didn't amount to any more than the odd morning dusting throughout different times in January and February.

I still can't believe it has Winter 2015/16 ranked as Average though, that really should be ranked Little in my opinion.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters and warm, sunny summers

I would have thought 2017-18 as snowy in my own ranking, average before the BFTE and Son of the Beast. There was very frequent snow showers for a good part of the northern regions in both the UK and Ireland. I'd especially rank it as snowy if 2015-16 is "average" which it most certainly wasn't.