Holidays
Local
Radar
Windy?
Lauren

How fussy are you with your Christmas tree?

Do you meticulously spend hours getting it just right or are you much more relaxed about it? Colour schemes? Preferred lights?

48 minutes ago, Lauren said:

Do you meticulously spend hours getting it just right or are you much more relaxed about it? Colour schemes? Preferred lights?

Not fussed but wife is 😁

very...

although i dont do crimbo, or try not to, my o/h does and insists on a tree.

i like trees so ok... mine HAS to be norway spruce, picea abies, because thats what we always had when i was a kid (and liked crimbo) and thats the variety that gives off 'that' pungent scent, the smell of crimbo.

im really fussy about the shape too, broad and bushy but not too bushy.

i use the decorations ive used since i was a kid, and some bought over the years. i inherited my grandmas decorations after she died too.  old decorations that have witnessed many happy crimbos. they are a variety of colours though so not co-ordinated.

• Like 1

as long as it doesn't give me salmonella then i don't care

dont have one..not put up any Chrimbo decs since 2011

• Like 1

Xmas is like waking-up and finding someone's hand in your wallet...It's even more irritating than Halloween and Fathers' Day...

Bah, humbug!:santa-emoji: 

• Like 1

I get my sack out but that's about it🤐

• Like 2

Not particularly fussy about what goes on the tree but the actual tree, yup fussy. It has to be a real one, prefer the scent of a spruce but really can't be bothered with the needle drop so it has to be a Nordman. Size is absolutely crucial, it has to be ceiling skimming, quite literally couldn't be any taller - my ceilings are over 8ft high so it's an enormous tree. Hubby has learnt over the years that protesting is futile.

Decorations wise, a mixture of old and new, some nearly as old as me (bloody ancient) the sitting room tree is white and silver (by accident, not design), the kitchen and dining room, anything goes really.

3 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

Xmas is like waking-up and finding someone's hand in your wallet...It's even more irritating than Halloween and Fathers' Day...

Miserable sod! Although I do admit I wonder about my sanity shelling out vast amounts of money on what is essentially a dead tree, year after year. Wouldn't change it for the world though.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, lassie23 said:

I get my sack out but that's about it🤐

Do you empty your sack during  Christmas day 😁

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mokidugway said:

Do you empty your sack during  Christmas day 😁

by midday it's imploded

• Sad 1

Lol, it is quite a rip off in many ways but it also focuses our minds (hopefully) on our fellow man, peace and love and goodwill. Why not endorse all that with some beautiful lights and decorations. I'm not one for the full on American style house lit up to the max thing but I do have a lovely little blue spruce on the doorstep with white lights and a few Scandi decs, some lanterns accumulated over the years around the house, some with little seasonal scenes inside, some with candles. Front window will have a twiggy spray with white lights. Oh, mustn't forget the door wreath which is still in the making. Most important of all, cat will need space to sit in the window so I can't use up all of the windowsill even if I wanted to. I have to decorate my daughter's tree too which this year is multicolour lights with red, green, gold decs. Mum's inglenook bough is the last job to be done next week. Used to be real green foliage with expensive baubles, etc. This year it will be a combination of artificial and real with the lovely embellishments and white lights. She loves it and at 94 she deserves something beautiful to catch her eye. Snowy Christmas and/or new year would be the icing on the cake!

• Like 2

14 hours ago, jethro said:

Not particularly fussy about what goes on the tree but the actual tree, yup fussy. It has to be a real one, prefer the scent of a spruce but really can't be bothered with the needle drop so it has to be a Nordman. Size is absolutely crucial, it has to be ceiling skimming, quite literally couldn't be any taller - my ceilings are over 8ft high so it's an enormous tree. Hubby has learnt over the years that protesting is futile.

Decorations wise, a mixture of old and new, some nearly as old as me (bloody ancient) the sitting room tree is white and silver (by accident, not design), the kitchen and dining room, anything goes really.

do you get 'that' scent with nords?.. they are very attractive trees but i couldnt detect 'that' scent you get off norway spruce.

as for the needles... yeah its a pain but can be avoided. buy your tree early, get it as fresh as you can... score the base by the bark exposing the cambium, stick it in a bucket and water it!. that does delay needle drop.

I'm super fussy. It takes me hours to get it right and then I adjust it still for days afterwards. I like symmetry and matching so baubles have to be placed at the right distance apart eye. I will only have white lights. 

On 06/12/2018 at 08:31, Lauren said:

I will only have white lights. 

racist 🤡

26 minutes ago, cheeky_monkey said:

racist 🤡

When it comes to lights, I am a full on prejudiced!

On 05/12/2018 at 19:04, Ed Stone said:

Anyone could put their hand in my wallet and they wouldn't find much 😂

I think there's a bit a fluff at the bottom of the note bit.

• Like 1

Put the decorations up today bought 3 new decorations as the others have fell apart over the years,bought 2 fibre optic trees so in total have now got the main tree with new lights a net that covers it and 3 fibre optic trees one with a train that travels around at the bottom with a colourful village and another smaller tree,and loads of decorations.

Enough scooges about otherwise.

Edited by Snowyowl9

when i were a lad...lol.. back in the 60's we used to decorate the 'best' room with garlands, the living room was decorated by us kids who made paper chains out of those coloured, gummed, strips of paper.

56 minutes ago, mushymanrob said:

when i were a lad...lol.. back in the 60's we used to decorate the 'best' room with garlands, the living room was decorated by us kids who made paper chains out of those coloured, gummed, strips of paper.

i remember those had those for years in our living room..also my Mum always put on top of the Chrimbo tree a father Xmas i made when i was 4 made out of an old toilet roll and some red crepe paper..she did that every year until she passed away bless her heart 😢

• Like 1

Does anyone still use lanetta still?