Jump to content
Cold?
Local
Radar
Snow?

South West and Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion 01/12/2018 Onwards


Recommended Posts

6 minutes ago, Frosty hollows said:

-5 already here ??

 

36 minutes ago, wightwootton said:

I have an incredible -3 here on the North side of the Isle of Wight this evening.

Not sure why , but notice Southampton is showing this also!

Lets hope this is good sign for tomorrow evening!!

Yes, didn't expect it to be this cold tonight -2.5 c in northern part of Hampshire. Fingers crossed for tomorrow.

Not a great time for my boiler/ central heating to break down! - really appreciate having a couple of woodburners to keep the house warm.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 7.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Nice little walk with the hound.

Beautiful looking up towards Peek Tor on Dartmoor this morning ❄❄❄

Guys good luck today -As they say one mans loss is another mans gain - well for once in the UK the south & SW are going to gobble up the Norths snow ? Someone in North Devon / Somerset / Wilt

Posted Images

7 minutes ago, Kiwi said:

 

Yes, didn't expect it to be this cold tonight -2.5 c in northern part of Hampshire. Fingers crossed for tomorrow.

Not a great time for my boiler/ central heating to break down! - really appreciate having a couple of woodburners to keep the house warm.

Not a great time Kiwi ! It's way below than expected ..

Update: Last reading for me tonight here at Wootton Bridge , now -3.4 c ?

Edited by wightwootton
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

..just been outside for a smoke, and realise that the sky is filled with a thin veil of cloud. That's why the temp is struggling to go down.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's hoping we all get to see some of the mysterious white stuff over next couple of days. Not sure about tomorrow but Thursday is looking so good for many of us! 

Currently 0.5°C here at the mo not as low as I thought it would be.

Just looked at the satellite and shows the incoming low quite well I think. Also explains why temps have stalled or are creeping up.

 

 

Screenshot_20190128-233543.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

We can but hope the 0z Arpege is correct;

arpegeuk-42-68-0.thumb.png.78642658e06a5c611a30fb7ff81e2341.png

0z ICON similar, although it has a weaker system on it's western flank, so lighter snowfall here;

iconeu-42-68-0.thumb.png.bf80f897a0f4a9302b0c163271841dbf.png

0z GFS continues to push the front much further north, giving rain for our region so I won't bother posting that.  ??

So far, a potential snowfall still very much there, although a significant, disruptive snowfall looking like a low chance option currently.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Chucking it down with rain here. Never was going to be snow, temp is 2.4c and dewpoint is 0.6c, lovely cold rain. 

It seems a bit earlier than expected this rain? 

Edited by SteveB
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, SteveB said:

Chucking it down with rain here. Never was going to be snow, temp is 2.4c and dewpoint is 0.6c, lovely cold rain. 

It seems a bit earlier than expected this rain? 

I was just thinking that myself. Didn't expect any snow here anyway. I think they're saving all the snow for Thursday for us lol.

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Jayfromcardiff said:

I was just thinking that myself. Didn't expect any snow here anyway. I think they're saving all the snow for Thursday for us lol.

Hope so Jay, I have a feeling though - that I might be on the wrong side of marginal.

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Forget any snow of substance for our region today. Thursday is looking like our best chance for northern parts of our region but not without risk. We have UKMO model on board, though the text forecast isn’t great. Sounding like ECM like GFS has all the action further north. To conclude, we’re no clearer yet as to how Thursday is going to pan out. Expect Met to issue warnings later.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I"m taking a punt that the precipitation from Thursdays low will get no further north than Birmingham. This would give many in our region snowfall. Amounts still to be decided. 

It's also my 50th birthday on Thursday so that would be a great pressie! 

Edited by John88B
  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Mapantz said:

Shaping up to be pretty wet here tomorrow and Thursday.

Same here too , the graphic from the forecast has us under the wet milder segment but all hope is not yet lost of a correction south by 50-100 miles . 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, John88B said:

I"m taking a punt that the precipitation from Thursdays low will get no further north than Birmingham. This would give many in our region snowfall. Amounts still to be decided. 

It's also my 50th birthday on Thursday so that would be a great pressie! 

Hope you have a fabulous and extremely snowy birthday John!!

And hope February pans out like it did when you were born in 1969 ......

"February 1969

Cold weather very much returned in February with the winds frequently coming from a northerly or easterly direction. With a CET of 1.0C, it was the coldest month since the winter of 1962-63.

On the 7th, a deep low pressure system swung down the North Sea, bringing an Arctic front accompanied by hurricane-force winds to Scotland. In fact Kirkwall recorded a low level gust of 135mph! Further south there was a notable snow event across the Midlands and the south, with 30cm of snow and some 20 foot drifts recorded in Kent."

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Kiwi said:

Hope you have a fabulous and extremely snowy birthday John!!

And hope February pans out like it did when you were born in 1969 ......

"February 1969

Cold weather very much returned in February with the winds frequently coming from a northerly or easterly direction. With a CET of 1.0C, it was the coldest month since the winter of 1962-63.

On the 7th, a deep low pressure system swung down the North Sea, bringing an Arctic front accompanied by hurricane-force winds to Scotland. In fact Kirkwall recorded a low level gust of 135mph! Further south there was a notable snow event across the Midlands and the south, with 30cm of snow and some 20 foot drifts recorded in Kent."

Thanks so much Kiwi. Mum and dad always tell me of the car getting stuck in the snow on the way back from the hospital after I was born. We were living in Pilning, just north of Bristol at the time. 

Mum reckons that's where my interest in the weather and love of snow comes from.

Edited by John88B
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
×
×
  • Create New...