Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West and Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion 01/12/2018 Onwards

Mapantz

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
2 hours ago, Don said:

Given that there was no deep cold in place, I think 3 days was not bad going and better than the likes of February 2007, when the snow vanished pretty much within 24 hours.

Only 2 days here sadly, better on higher ground of course.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy winters, hot and sunny summers with thunderstorms!

Some people in the MAD thread just went a bit weird because I stated a fact... 

I said that the Beast from the East would have been colder if it was in January and even with those very cold uppers, most of the days apart from the days of Storm Emma were still above freezing? Honestly some people! They weren't there, how would they know?

Sorry about that, just letting off some steam. :help:

Edited by Leon1
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, warm springs, hot summers, warm then stormy autumn
9 minutes ago, Leon1 said:

I said that the Beast from the East would have been colder if it was in January and even with those very cold uppers, most of the days apart from the days of Storm Emma were still above freezing? Honestly some people! They weren't there, how would they know?

And apparently we'll have mild south-southwesterlies and 15C in 384 hours time. Yes the models are trending mild at the moment. but we've seen how quick they can flip.

Edited by CheesepuffScott
  • Like 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, CheesepuffScott said:

And apparently we'll have mild south-southwesterlies and 15C in 384 hours time. Yes the models are trending mild at the moment. but we've seen how quick they can flip.

Going by tonight’s ECM that could occur by 240 hours.  Not saying it will verify though.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy winters, hot and sunny summers with thunderstorms!
5 minutes ago, CheesepuffScott said:

I know right. People are jumping to conclusions too quick. Even if those runs do come off, very unlikely, I've had my snow this year already so there! They're just jealous to know how it feels on a southerners only event when year on year we envy them.

Edited by Leon1
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & cold (love it) any extremes.

Right I’ve done something spontaneous and drastic in equal measures tonight after venturing into the mad thread looking for any hints of good news on the horizon, there ain’t any was the gist. 

So got online and I’ve booked 4 days away at the end of the month for the wife and I to Inverness now the cynical amongst you will note it’s about as far north in the UK I can go in winter and still sell it to her as a city break, it’s on the doorstep of the Cairngorms and if there is any snow around to play in then it ‘should’ be on the top of said mountain range. How dare you, it’s all I could find for my budget. Talking of costs, the plane fares (yes the orange one) car hire and 3 nights in a travelodge for 2 people £255.00 all in if there happens to be snow there then that’s just fortuitous (for me) ❄️ 

Ps I do love my wife too  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Leon1 said:

I know right. People are jumping to conclusions too quick. Even if those runs do come off, very unlikely, I've had my snow this year already so there! They're just jealous to know how it feels on a southerners only event when year on year we envy them.

I’ve had my snow, too, but I’m greedy and not ready for spring yet.....

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, warm springs, hot summers, warm then stormy autumn
1 minute ago, Crackerjack said:

Right I’ve done something spontaneous and drastic in equal measures tonight after venturing into the mad thread looking for any hints of good news on the horizon, there ain’t any was the gist. 

So got online and I’ve booked 4 days away at the end of the month for the wife and I to Inverness now the cynical amongst you will note it’s about as far north in the UK I can go in winter and still sell it to her as a city break, it’s on the doorstep of the Cairngorms and if there is any snow around to play in then it ‘should’ be on the top of said mountain range. How dare you, it’s all I could find for my budget. Talking of costs, the plane fares (yes the orange one) car hire and 3 nights in a travelodge for 2 people £255.00 all in if there happens to be snow there then that’s just fortuitous (for me) ❄️ 

Ps I do love my wife too  

Lol have fun! Seems a few people including myself, in this thread, are going somewhere later this month!

• Like 1

Posted
23 minutes ago, Leon1 said:

Sorry about that, just letting off some steam. :help:

I'm quite surprised you still managed such high temperatures given the low uppers, unless Bath really is that sheltered. It was certainly more in the 4/5C range during the easterly period leading up to the Beast when we had the unbroken sunny skies for days. My figures for that week are:

26/02 01.6 / -03.5

27/02 01.0 / -05.3

28/02 -01.4 / -07.3

01/03 -03.2 / -06.8

02/03 -01.2 / -03.2

03/03 03.4 / -01.2

04/03 09.3 / 01.6

• Like 1

Posted
9 minutes ago, MP-R said:

I'm quite surprised you still managed such high temperatures given the low uppers, unless Bath really is that sheltered. It was certainly more in the 4/5C range during the easterly period leading up to the Beast when we had the unbroken sunny skies for days. My figures for that week are:

26/02 01.6 / -03.5

27/02 01.0 / -05.3

28/02 -01.4 / -07.3

01/03 -03.2 / -06.8

02/03 -01.2 / -03.2

03/03 03.4 / -01.2

04/03 09.3 / 01.6

It's just that I have a really clear memory of checking the weather station everyday in the afternoon and it being much higher than I thought it would be. 3 or 4 celcius, still low minimums though. Thursday was an ice day and so was Friday. Wonder if the weather station being placed in the sun has any effect on the thermometer? Bath is in a valley though and there has been numerous occasions where there is no snow down in Bath, but lots on the hills surrounding it. 

Edit: Lol now they're talking about how they want a cool, damp summer! Even after the worst, mildest winters, I still always want a hot summer. I love the extremes! 

Edited by Leon1

Posted

I only just realised Easter is around April 21st. BBQ in the garden if it's anything like last year 

• Like 4

Posted
28 minutes ago, Leon1 said:

It's just that I have a really clear memory of checking the weather station everyday in the afternoon and it being much higher than I thought it would be. 3 or 4 celcius, still low minimums though. Thursday was an ice day and so was Friday. Wonder if the weather station being placed in the sun has any effect on the thermometer? Bath is in a valley though and there has been numerous occasions where there is no snow down in Bath, but lots on the hills surrounding it. 

Edit: Lol now they're talking about how they want a cool, damp summer! Even after the worst, mildest winters, I still always want a hot summer. I love the extremes! 

Would make sense if the ice days were the only cloudy ones. Can’t comment myself though.

I certainly share your preference of a hot summer though lol, with a bit more rain than last year just to keep the flora and fauna happy.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

A few 50's appearing in the wind gusts on the Met Office forecast for Friday. I do hope that stays, or increases. 

• Like 1

Posted
30 minutes ago, MP-R said:

Would make sense if the ice days were the only cloudy ones. Can’t comment myself though.

I certainly share your preference of a hot summer though lol, with a bit more rain than last year just to keep the flora and fauna happy.

Perhaps a few more thunderstorms

Posted

Still a little snow on the ground tonight and some of the paths are still slippery under foot.  Surprising given temps were up to 9C today.  Takes time for the cold ground to thaw out I suppose.

• Like 2

Posted
49 minutes ago, CheesepuffScott said:

Thunderstorms all the way!

Edit: just noticed how foggy it's got here:

1549321151430577907769250731402.jpg

15493211794411108395771209367066.jpg

Edited by Leon1
  • Like 2

Posted
55 minutes ago, CheesepuffScott said:

Some thunderstorms... at all... would be nice haha. For the first time since collecting weather data, I registered no thunder all summer! April, May and November were the months.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

Yes it’s very foggy here too. 5.9°C

980CE5D2-8597-42F0-82DC-A045E1D80298.jpeg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & cold (love it) any extremes.

Very foggy out tonight and currently -0.8c so we have managed another frost at least. 

Posted

Fog has rolled in here in the past half hour. Temp 4.0°C on the nose, milder here than nearer to Salisbury for once

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross
8 hours ago, Reefseeker said:

I remember the late 70s/early 80s heavy snows so well not just for the enormous snow drifts along the hedgerows but also for the sound of frozen solid snow that had melted then iced over and compacted in our road - people would try to walk or drive on it and it would make a crackling sound. My father all the way back then was saying what a disgrace it was leaving us all in those conditions. My aunt and uncle in Holcombe are regularly cut off during heavy snowfall and seem to accept is as a fact of life, but as you say, it's how to manage a remote rural area that has quite high population in places, hills and lanes with drifting.

Small world.....I live in Holcombe and yes we get snowed in. It's on quite a big hill and I live slap bang on top of the apex, we're at least 100mtrs higher than all the local towns (Frome, Radstock, Midsomer Norton) and in the case of Wells, 150mtrs higher. Makes a big difference when it comes to snow.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross
2 hours ago, Mapantz said:

A few 50's appearing in the wind gusts on the Met Office forecast for Friday. I do hope that stays, or increases. 

Oooo, no thanks. I detest high winds. Lost too many fences to them living here and all the lanes are bordered by old, decaying trees, many of which should be felled but they're largely left to fall over instead.

Posted

Good morning, an overnight low of 2.1°C, currently 6.8°C