Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West and Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion 01/12/2018 Onwards

Mapantz

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and sunny summers, cold & snowy winters
5 minutes ago, Singularity said:

image.thumb.png.5483e60f2464cf62a09a65b2741b0d0f.png

Looks to be a convergence line where the flow around the trough to the southeast is coming up against the flow around the ridge out west.

Explains why it's struggling to make it all the way down south; less convergence here unless the trough shifts south.

Back to very light snow here now, radar showing heavier amounts developing 4 miles to my NW but not getting any closer. Good thing I have plenty on the ground already!

Ah, thanks for posting - makes some sense of this meteorological madness!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, warm springs, hot summers, warm then stormy autumn

image.thumb.png.bb46cd22d05b8a25aeba419c916414bd.pngWoo!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Heat, Ice, Freezing Fog. Etc
1 minute ago, Singularity said:

hirlamuk-1-4-0.png?01-10hirlamuk-1-9-0.png?01-10hirlamuk-1-15-0.png?01-10

HIRLAM's a tad too far SE with it for noon (based on where we're at now), but yes, a southeast movement is predicted. Whether it holds together as well as these charts imply, remains to be seen!

Thanks for that. That’s very interesting! It barely moves between 11am and 4pm on that. It’s currently what, 60 miles or more west of that? I wonder if it will stay in situ where it is until 4pm?!

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, CheesepuffScott said:

I nearly shouted at some school-children who were taking snow off the wall for snowballs earlier, luckily no one stepped on the pristine driveway  

All the kids will be talking about you now and pointing, saying “that’s the house where the grumpy old man lives”.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, warm springs, hot summers, warm then stormy autumn
Just now, Bazray said:

All the kids will be talking about you now and pointing, saying “that’s the house where the grumpy old man lives”.

Old, haha! I'm not even 25 yet!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and sunny summers, cold & snowy winters
2 minutes ago, Nights King said:

Okay so it will retreat from the west country and head east.

Thats a shame. 

Eventually, but MetO have extended heavy snow forecast for Swindon by two hours (was ending 2pm, now 4pm...) Picking up on the point that HIRLAM was a little too far east with the ppn, prob why earlier MetO Amber blob was east of us

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Hot Sun (but not at the same time!) 57m asl

Round 2 for us on the coast? Ours has nearly all melted now but round 2 would be good. 

Screenshot_20190201-111119_Met Office.jpg

• Like 2

Posted

Bankity bank!

image.thumb.png.6687a7c411dbef8c668df58843843ec5.png

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow & Thunderstorms
14 minutes ago, jy said:

Costs a few quid I know,but its really pleasing to see the birds swamping the feeding station,the Robins were being almost hand fed,as well as having territorial punch ups,but worth every penny,not seen any heavy snow,but the garden suggests otherwise,places west of here getting a really memorable snowfall.

13 minutes ago, Smartie said:

Feed the birds all year round but at times like this I'm putting even more food out and for the pigeons too. 

Yes the birds were going crazy here earlier, they've calmed down a bit now. A lone Wagtail strutting it's stuff amongst the madness! Had to go out and brush off all the snow covering their feeders and sort out the bird baths. No sign of our squirrels yet though, i expect they are also having a snow day!

Starting to thaw on the rooftops around here now but i wouldn't have believed anyone who said we'd have this much snow, well chuffed!  ❄️

IMG_20190201_084410.jpg

IMG_20190201_085456.jpg

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

an even 15cm on all surfaces and still accumulating 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!
6 minutes ago, kumquat said:

Looks like a meso-low right over us on https://en.sat24.com/en/gb/visual

spot on, we're right in the centre of that circulation, ppn on the increase again!

• Like 3

Posted

Around 5 or so cm here and roads are generally pretty clear, although its still snowing and forecast to do so for a while. Work is only 5 miles north but conditions were awful. Main road completely covered but passable, however then decided to head home after a couple of hours at work due to forecast. Around 15 cm up there due to being that bit further north and its at 200 m asl. Crazy. 

• Like 1

Posted
18 minutes ago, Singularity said:

image.thumb.png.5483e60f2464cf62a09a65b2741b0d0f.png

Looks to be a convergence line where the flow around the trough to the southeast is coming up against the flow around the ridge out west.

Explains why it's struggling to make it all the way down south; less convergence here unless the trough shifts south.

Back to very light snow here now, radar showing heavier amounts developing 4 miles to my NW but not getting any closer. Good thing I have plenty on the ground already!

I think it's sinking south now. We've only had fine flakes for the last hour, or two, as we were on the Southern edge; but now it's pepping up.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fascinated by extreme weather. Despise drizzle.
2 minutes ago, jtay said:

I think it's sinking south now. We've only had fine flakes for the last hour, or two, as we were on the Southern edge; but now it's pepping up.

Yep looks that way - and as usual that Dean Hill radar glitch is making it impossible to be sure just how much is coming across from the NE because hey, it's more fun that way right? 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

Its now moderate snow i think it is slowly backing south east. Could this be game over 

Posted
3 minutes ago, jtay said:

According to the latest beeb forecast he said the whole thing will head south later.

Posted
1 minute ago, kent said:

According to the latest beeb forecast he said the whole thing will head south later.

I can't quite make out whether it's sinking, or expanding and intensifying. We'll go with the latter ,shall we?

• Like 1