Cold?
Local
Radar
Snow?

South West and Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion 01/12/2018 Onwards

Just now, Jayfromcardiff said:

Anyone else staying up until the heavy snow stops? I should sleep but if it keeps up I won't be getting to work anyway.

Yeah, I have lectures tomorrow, gonna be a long night ahead!

• Like 1
  • Replies 7.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Nice little walk with the hound.

Beautiful looking up towards Peek Tor on Dartmoor this morning ❄❄❄

Guys good luck today -As they say one mans loss is another mans gain - well for once in the UK the south & SW are going to gobble up the Norths snow ? Someone in North Devon / Somerset / Wilt

Posted Images

1 minute ago, Jayfromcardiff said:

Anyone else staying up until the heavy snow stops? I should sleep but if it keeps up I won't be getting to work anyway.

I'm taking a big gamble. I'll either have tomorrow off or I'll have to come in like a zombie. But this is just too fun

• Like 4
10 minutes ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

DON'T DO IT!!!! Unless it's in time for summer ? Where you looking to move?

Well grew up in stanmore & when I had the kids into highcliffe. But most friends and family are in stanmore . So guess it'll be there ?

2 minutes ago, fromey said:

And dare I say it, this snow fall is better than last years first beast from the east!!

Tend to agree actually, prefer the heavier chunkier flakes, the beast was a bit powdery for my tastes.

1 minute ago, CheesepuffScott said:

I'm taking a big gamble. I'll either have tomorrow off or I'll have to come in like a zombie. But this is just too fun

My boss has said we all need to be in as there's already 3 people off on paternity leave, sick and annual leave.

Two different views of snowfall potential, charts of cumulative snowfall until midday tomorrow, from first ICON-EU, then HIRLAM, 18z:

image.thumb.jpg.3fff3ec1572fff87b9ef9d4160b7d999.jpgimage.thumb.jpg.270397db4b3f8f1f8146b9ce96b81902.jpg

i think looking at the way this has evolved and the radar, suspect though it definitely, I now favour the HIRLAM take. 

And here's ARPEGE 18z only out to 10am,

image.thumb.jpg.7baeed739021fe990d8d0f1a7e4966cc.jpg

Somewhere in between!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
4 minutes ago, Mike Poole said:

Two different views of snowfall potential, charts of cumulative snowfall until midday tomorrow, from first ICON-EU, then HIRLAM, 18z:

image.thumb.jpg.3fff3ec1572fff87b9ef9d4160b7d999.jpgimage.thumb.jpg.270397db4b3f8f1f8146b9ce96b81902.jpg

i think looking at the way this has evolved and the radar, suspect though it definitely, I now favour the HIRLAM take. 

And here's ARPEGE 18z only out to 10am,

image.thumb.jpg.7baeed739021fe990d8d0f1a7e4966cc.jpg

Somewhere in between!

None of them show any snow for Cornwall. Failure it’s chaos here. 

• Like 3
Just now, Climate_Eyes said:

@*Stormforce~beka*

Heaviest of the eve! An actual dusting has occurred! Keep the faith (sorry Jtay stole your catchphrase ?)

Big flakes too, freaking woot!

Steal away. It's not mine anyway, I think it was Jesus wot first coined it.  Either way we both need a haircut.

3 minutes ago, rh205 said:

I just saw a flash of lightning to the north of Gosport.

I know Gosport is a fair distance from a train line, but that is most likely a train arcing.

3 minutes ago, gloucesterlad said:

lurker hear from Quedgeley, just south of Gloucester and near sea level. But... light snow has arrived. Whay. Had all but written this event off but ... Now... could this lot pivot ?

Lets hope so GL, light snow here in chelts with slight covering, we will be in the game very soon hopefully

3 minutes ago, mbrothers said:

None of them show any snow for Cornwall. Failure it’s chaos here. 

I think that's because that snow fell before these models were run at 18:00 tonight?  The charts are cumulative for the start of the run, i.e. 6pm, the Cornwall snow was certainly predicted on earlier runs, but the system has passed now.

Edited by Mike Poole
  • Like 2
10 minutes ago, Man With Beard said:

OK first measure here in the north of Portsmouth - between 2 and 3cms so far depending upon where you put the ruler in. 

This has got to stop. I'm in tears here. 

1 minute ago, andy_leics22 said:

Awesome!

Lived on Quarry Rd, for 3 months in 2018. Just next to the coach house. Nice area!

Yeah about 5 minutes from me. I'm sure Shotover has a good covering!