Cold?
Local
Radar
Snow?

South West and Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion 01/12/2018 Onwards

10 minutes ago, Dean E said:

Appears a precipitation shadow has been in overdrive in certain parts of the region this evening. Bournemouth, Southampton and Portsmouth all have reported lying snow, while further north (Such as Andover, Winchester, Midhurst) there's hardly any. South Downs working overtime effecting snowfall rates to the north.

For us dumb asses can you tell us how this has happened? And why?

• Replies 7.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Nice little walk with the hound.

Beautiful looking up towards Peek Tor on Dartmoor this morning ❄❄❄

Guys good luck today -As they say one mans loss is another mans gain - well for once in the UK the south & SW are going to gobble up the Norths snow ? Someone in North Devon / Somerset / Wilt

Posted Images

Under the clear triangle of the radar imagery at the mo, but actually back to light snow now after about an hour of moderate rates. Watching developments to my S and SW with interest. Meanwhile some heavy showers moving Portsmouth way - looks to be tied in with what MWB reported some 20 mins ago...

So it seems the degraded region of the radar network has a bit of a northward offset combined with an inability to detect very light snowfall. Hmm - misjudgement of locations and fine detail - did somebody sneak it a few shots earlier?

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

For us dumb asses can you tell us how this has happened? And why?

No one is a dumb ass! The only reason I can suggest is the NNW movement of the precipitation due to the SE winds. Was expecting those areas to join in once the wind shifted east, but I think the damage was already done, hence the dry slots appearing in the radar. 

2 minutes ago, Man With Beard said:

Now the radar really is just useless. We're not supposed to be within 10 miles of any snow and still it's coming down fairly well. 

I do notice a developing feature to the south though - hope that's right! 

Watching this closely too...

• Like 1

OK first measure here in the north of Portsmouth - between 2 and 3cms so far depending upon where you put the ruler in. 

However there is a little bit of melt going on at the same time. Not sure how long it will all last on the ground. Grateful just to have some really ?

• Like 4