Holidays
Local
Radar
Snow?
Sign in to follow this  
Mapantz

South West and Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion 01/12/2018 Onwards

At 200 metres on the south west slopes of the moor and it's still raining. Just got back from Princetown at 450 metres where it is snowing

5 minutes ago, Zephyr said:

Think so also mate, we hit the sweet spot again? Yate it getting pretty lucky lately. We have waited a hell of a long time though. 90s was soooo bad.

90s was soooo bad.

Tell me about it - I remember Spirals 🤣

1 minute ago, Zephyr said:

@Stormygirl welcome to the madness and the friendliest place on earth 😄

Cheers zephyr. Got all the radars open and 101 tabs keeping an eye on progress while also doing my tax returns. 😲Luckily my desk is by the window so can see what’s going on. Think I have covered all angles. 🤪

3 minutes ago, jethro said:

What does that mean in terms of weather expected, good or bad thing?

It's good!! South Devon it will aid snow but could more generally up the snow totals for the south west.

Edited by karlos1983

Still just rain here on South Dartmoor. It's taking it's time, doesn't the weather realise we're all holding our breath? 🤯🤯

4 minutes ago, jethro said:

I think it means a pepping up of the precipitation and more likelihood of a more prolonged spell. But I'm sure Karlos will clarify that?

Edited by gottolovethisweather

Simply based on the recent changes to Exeters' forecast conditions at the met office site (i.e later and snowier instead of sleet), i assume the system is stalling and pivoting further SW than expected a few hours ago?

3 minutes ago, jethro said:

Mesolow

(or Sub-synoptic Low) - A mesoscale low-pressure center. Severe weather potential often increases in the area near and just ahead of a mesolow. Mesolow should not be confused with mesocyclone, which is a storm-scale phenomenon.

Temperature and dew point still rising here (3.1°C 1.1°C respectively), I am gathering this will drop soon?

Bugger, snow might even struggle to make it up here....elevation is seemingly the only thing going for me on the edge of the marlborough downs 

Temp stable at 2.3°c, dew point -0.2°c, should be a good place to start once the PPN arrives! 

1 minute ago, Zephyr said:

Mesolow

(or Sub-synoptic Low) - A mesoscale low-pressure center. Severe weather potential often increases in the area near and just ahead of a mesolow. Mesolow should not be confused with mesocyclone, which is a storm-scale phenomenon.

Is that a bit like thundersnow but with potential to be longer lasting? Or am I just full of wishful thinking?

1 minute ago, beerandkebab said:

Bugger, snow might even struggle to make it up here....elevation is seemingly the only thing going for me on the edge of the marlborough downs 

Just like Brexit, it is still coming, and even a Corbyn government cannot stop either from happening.

1 minute ago, jethro said:

Is that a bit like thundersnow but with potential to be longer lasting? Or am I just full of wishful thinking?

Would be nice, we had some thundersnow in 2004 or around that time, can't really remember but I think it just means increased precip in and around it 

6 minutes ago, kumquat said:

90s was soooo bad.

Tell me about it - I remember Spirals 🤣

Loved Spirals!!

Used to go there on a Thurs eve after local pub in Hanham. Then turn up in office on Friday half-cut!! Great days!😁

1 minute ago, gottolovethisweather said:

Just like Brexit, it is still coming, and even a Corbyn government cannot stop either from happening.

Indeed. No snow is better than bad snow... 😬

2 minutes ago, Bristle boy said:

Loved Spirals!!

Used to go there on a Thurs eve after local pub in Hanham. Then turn up in office on Friday half-cut!! Great days!😁

Haha - I trust you safely made it to Brum, BB?

wish I was on Dartmoor at the moment, from a jealous Essex lad.

4 minutes ago, MP-R said:

Indeed. No snow is better than bad snow... 😬

As long as AJ and the rest of us all get our beer and kebabs all will be well in good ole Blighty. I just feel sorry for the farmers trying to farm kebabs in these inclement conditions, a hard packed cover of six inches of snow does them no good at all.

Edited by gottolovethisweather

Absolutely filthy weather in Salcombe! 😀

Very gusty cold winds beginning to blow from more of a SE direction. Rain pepping up as well. Not pleasant out there at all. Cold rain + wind, lovely!

We may get a little snow later on this afternoon but not expecting anything significant to be honest.

Temp here has been hovering around 3.5C for a while but dew point has plummeted to -1.6 now.

BBC has Southampton down for 12 hours of snow from 6pm to 6am, all looking pretty positive I think but until snow starts falling I'll be nervous.

Saw a big snow plow being prepped on the industrial estate at work earlier, I take that as a good sign!

Gone 1.30pm and it still hasn't started ppn in Exeter. It's dark and windy but no ppn just yet. So surely that's slower than expected?

System is definitly pivoting earlier! I would suggest anyone traveling home from work might want to leave earlier as I think this will turn to snow quicker and hit during rush hour. 

4 minutes ago, gottolovethisweather said:

Difference is under a Corbyn Govt. I wouldn't be surprised to see any snowfall taxed per cm.