South West and Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion 01/12/2018 Onwards

• Replies 7.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Nice little walk with the hound.

Beautiful looking up towards Peek Tor on Dartmoor this morning ❄❄❄

Guys good luck today -As they say one mans loss is another mans gain - well for once in the UK the south & SW are going to gobble up the Norths snow ? Someone in North Devon / Somerset / Wilt

Posted Images

Good luck to all of you down there, nice to see you getting some excitement from the amber warning! Best we've managed where I am is the tiniest of dustings so far this year so I reckon you'll easily beat us later today. Enjoy - particularly those of you who very rarely get the white stuff!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Lloyd Lloyd it's just the weather. This regional thread more than any is a safe space and a chilled space. Snow is coming somewhere to us snow starved southwesters. It's a special day for many. Relax!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, Nights King said:

I finish work at 5pm driving back to Mendip could be interesting.. 

Do you remember April 2000? Hours of driving sleet down on the levels, the Mendips got pasted higher up. I moved to Wookey Hole village late April and the fields above still had snow patches in May...

2 minutes ago, SilverWolf said:

Do you remember April 2000? Hours of driving sleet down on the levels, the Mendips got pasted higher up. I moved to Wookey Hole village late April and the fields above still had snow patches in May...

Remember it well. I was stood waiting for bus at 7am when it changed to snow. Then dumped enormous amount. Truly epic. 

Am I right in thinking because of the high dew points than back in march the snow flakes will be bigger?

In march the snow flakes were very small because the snow was very powder like, Dew points were like -6!

Gosport has been upgraded back to heavy snow. Come on Met Office stop teasing me. I know you said it's knife edge stuff but this feels more like cut throat razor stuff to me.

• Like 1

Amber warning very similiar to my thoughts earlier, ie South/South East Wales, Moors of the SW & areas around the A303/Mendips into Salisbury plain.

They have included inland Somerset and Bristol/Bath in the amber warning too which is very good.  Must be thinking along the lines of the Hirlam scenario then.

Surprised they haven't included areas further east along the South Coast as the EURO4 has been consistently remodelling decent accumulations here too and these are populated areas of the UK, ie Winchester, Brighton, Worthing, Havant etc.

06z EURO4 struggles to take the front north of the M4!!!!!!!

Edited by AWD
Add info
  • Like 2