Holidays
Local
Radar
Snow?
Mapantz

South West and Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion 01/12/2018 Onwards

Pretty crazy difference between the ECM and GFS at this stage. Somewhere in the middle always a good bet?

• Like 1

Afternoon campers, are we all just a teeny bit excited? I know I am. Just checked METO for tomorrow, it has me down for a couple of hours of light snow from early afternoon, followed by 6 hours of heavy snow, then another 3 of light falls to finish it off. Never mind playing bingo, I'm playing Pontoon and sticking whilst keeping everything crossed the forecast follows the script.

Came past the local gritting depot earlier, as well as filling the gritters, they've fitted the shiny new ploughs to the trucks :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

Hoping to find the lane out of the village looking like this again, surely that's not too much to hope for, is it?

2253_1091277595072_2432_n.jpg

• Like 9

43 minutes ago, MidnightSnow said:

50p sized flakes incoming

giphy (4).gif

I hope so! Wet snow is so much prettier when it falls and when it's settled.🌨️ 

25 minutes ago, jethro said:

Came past the local gritting depot earlier, as well as filling the gritters, they've fitted the shiny new ploughs to the trucks :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

Came past our gritting depot, the guys are all having a smoke, and the solitary snowplough is parked at the back of the yard...🤔

Edited by Dorsetbred
  • Sad 1

Apart from a damp start, today has shown favour, with some good wintry sunshine raising temperatures to a warm 6C, suspect with clear skies it might well drop a tad lower than last night.

Edited by Dorsetbred
  • Like 1

🙄 sleet/rain for us in barnstaple... The rest of Devon looks great further east you are the better chance you will get. 

Things still looking good for our region let’s hope all goes to plan

49085245-9363-4B13-A4B3-5C0BDF6D9482.png

1211161D-98CB-4DC2-9F5D-3055EF62E4FD.png

• Like 2

How's the south coast looking for tomorrow? Both bbc and meto are jumping between heavy snow and sleet for the Portsmouth area. 

I hope us ( welsh) and u south westerners get all the snow , i hope those cocky south easterners get nothing . 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Been a nice winter's day with blue skies for a time. Temperature reached 4.2°C today, currently 3.1°C

4 minutes ago, MrMoonlight said:

How's the south coast looking for tomorrow? Both bbc and meto are jumping between heavy snow and sleet for the Portsmouth area. 

Check the post 4 above yours which shows the HIRLAM prediction, notice the grey bits round the edge..

• Sad 2

AROME 12z looking great as well, 5-10cm widely, 20-25cm over Welsh hills.

110004240_arome12z.thumb.png.db6060f08dd9515b290761e9a9f1c156.png

• Like 7

57 minutes ago, MidnightSnow said:

50p sized flakes incoming

giphy (4).gif

That's the best thing about marginal snow events, big snowflakes and it looks even more stunning if its still daylight where you look up at the clouds and see exactly that scene. 

Edited by Smartie
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Who's gonna be up really early in the morning then just to constantly watch the precipitation edge ever closer on the radar 😉

• Like 1

There doesn't seem to be much comment on the event tomorrow in the MAD thread, do you think there jealous.

i must admit it does look good  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Happy, GPS (P) 12 z gives us a chance for tomorrow evening on the IOW. Its been pretty consistent of late , so taking it other other models.

Bring it on!!

30-1.JPG

• Like 9

The snow isn't the most fun part in my opinion, it's the build up, lamp post watching and the radar watching!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, snowysouth said:

Its looking great for tomorrow eve. I think thaw would be quick though? 

Not too quick, according to METO it doesn't get above freezing here until Saturday afternoon and even then only briefly going up to 2c.

• Like 5

22 minutes ago, AWD said:

12z Hirlam snow totals by midday Friday;

snowdepth_20190130_12_048.thumb.jpg.0dc5ec56ffc59d8ca9c9da37369f0d81.jpg

5cm - 10cm widely across Somerset, Bristol, Bath, Mendips etc.

You just made my day 

I'm right in that deep blue area, the second one to the bottom right of the two . 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, fromey said:

There doesn't seem to be much comment on the event tomorrow in the MAD thread, do you think there jealous.

i must admit it does look good  

Think you're spot on Fromey. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Dorsetbred said:

Check the post 4 above yours which shows the HIRLAM prediction, notice the grey bits round the edge..

The HIRLAM was brilliant for last year's events (unfortunately). I think central southern coastal dwellers will have to go inland a bit to see anything. The high bit of the New Forest east of Ringwood is often ok when it's just rain IMBY.

Tis almost always the case for us directly on the coast - it takes a really memorable set up for us not to have to worry.

17 minutes ago, Ben Sainsbury said:

AROME 12z looking great as well, 5-10cm widely, 20-25cm over Welsh hills.

110004240_arome12z.thumb.png.db6060f08dd9515b290761e9a9f1c156.png

😂😂😂  someone tell me how on earth does that minute part over Ireland get in the red yet elsewhere is in Ireland is nothing ?  Is that MT Everest's cousin there or something ?