Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West and Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion 01/12/2018 Onwards

Mapantz

Posted
14 hours ago, DaveL said:

Good idea! I'd already tried Google Earth and Google Maps but, I tried again with some other mapping sources and I think I may have found it on a clearer one - it's where I suspected, I think (there's no screen visible elsewhere on the airfield).

On pilotnav.com here: http://www.pilotnav.com/airport/EGVF

if you zoom fully in to the airfield and focus on the northern boundary with the marshes, surrounding the large pear-shaped golf green is a windsock, an anemometer tower to its right, and... what looks like a Stevenson screen just left of the anemometer tower, close to the field boundary hedge. I think that's it!

If nobody disagrees, I can update the gladstonefamily website with the exact co-ordinates. I did that last year with the Southampton Airport screen (their weather bod went out onto the airfield to take a photo for me )

Looks like a screen to me, looking at it with google maps in 3D and spinning the direction certainly confirms its a screen

Edited by Dorsetbred

Posted

Overnight low of 1.8°C@2:28 this morning, the sun is trying it's best but....it's a struggle.currently 12.7°C

Posted

Down to -2.1 here overnight up to 13.2 here and doesn't feel to bad out when out of the wind.

Posted
4 hours ago, Dorsetbred said:

Looks like a screen to me, looking at it with google maps in 3D and spinning the direction certainly confirms its a screen

Agreed, especially as it's the only thing on the entire airfield that looks anything like one, and its location away from  the helipads and close to the anemometer tower. It also looks like it's sheltered by bushes and a grassy/reedy bank within 2 metres of it on its northern side. Not good on a sunny day in a light northerly wind - which is what triggered my interest in the first place - and certainly not a "standard site".

You'd have thought the Met Office would have learned a lesson after using nearby Solent MRSC for many years, which had a large high 2 storey coastguard building a few metres on its northern side (the screen was in its front garden). They told me a few years ago that they'd be reinstating an AWS on the Daedalus airfield (Solent Airport), which is the obvious place to do it but nothing's happened to date there.

Anyway, for completeness, here is the evidence - an overhead site photo from Google Maps, and my photo from across the creek at the same height above sea level, looking south - you cannot even see the screen for the bushes. High sunny day temperatures in a northerly from that site must be taken with a pinch of salt, IMO.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by DaveL
  • Like 1

Posted

A bit of a struggle but we made 15.0°C at: 15:39 mid afternoon in a peak of a sunny spell. With only 50days to midsummers day, its all to play for..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, warm springs, hot summers, warm then stormy autumn

A high of 13.8°C @ 13:48, has stayed mostly cloudy this afternoon but a few sunny spells in the mix. Currently 12.1°C

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

Sunny start this morning but quickly clouded over leaving a mostly cloudy day and feeling cool in the breeze again. Reached 12.7°C, currently 10.8°C

Posted

After a maximum of 15.3°C at: 12:52 , it's clouded over and that was it for the day. Oh well summer might be here...sometime down the road. A drop of rain would be nice too, just to get things going in the garden as water from the mains isn't like good ol rain water...fingers crossed for this week?️

Mean while back to web watching the USA midwest for the storms..Go team Netweather..

Edited by Dorsetbred

Posted
On 04/05/2019 at 13:56, DaveL said:

Yes have been trying to work out exactly where the thermometer screen is at Fleetlands but of course there is no public access. From across the creek, I see a large tower at the bottom of the airfield/golf course area, at the high tide boundary fence near a couple of greens and just above the mud etc., but can't be certain that it's what I'm looking for - do you happen to know if that's where it is? The locator maps e.g. Gladstone Family (taken from WMO records I think) clearly have it in the wrong place and i'd like to correct them.

Not sure, its the wrong side of town for me, that I visit regularly.
The closest I get is the Leisure centre or The range near Fort Brockhurst.

More so now as the new buses avoid the A32 road past Fleetlands.

Posted

Been a pleasant sunny day with a gentle WSW 8-10mph breeze.
Not much cloud cover, through the day. Heard there was plenty of that not far North from Me.

It felt warmer than the 13.8c it got to at 2pm.
Still nice out at 12.8c

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, warm springs, hot summers, warm then stormy autumn

Reached 14.6°C at 15:30, has stayed mostly cloudy this afternoon after a sunny start this morning, albeit a few sunny spells. Currently 13.2°C

Edited by CheesepuffScott

Posted

Does anyone else quietly notice that we have had 2 bone dry bank holiday weekends? Completely different temperature wise but fantastic nonetheless.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

Mostly cloudy but with a few lengthy sunny spells. Felt slightly warmer than the last couple of days but still felt cool especially in the breeze. Reached 12.2°C, currently 3.2°C

Posted

Temp 7.7°C

Hopefully we don’t use up all this warm and dry weather that’s appearing on the models for next weekend onwards. I’d like to save some for my holiday to Devon at end of the month!

Edited by CheesepuffScott

Posted

A bright start after an overnight low of 4.0°C. It’s currently 6.9°C

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Actually quite pleasant today with light winds and sunny spells. Nearly up to 16C. Impressive view of our hurricane-shaped low for tomorrow on the satellite.

https://en.sat24.com/en

• Like 1

Posted

Lenghty sunny spells for most of the afternoon so not bad at all, surprisingly it briefly reached 17.3°C at 15:05 but back down to 15.6°C now

Posted

Cloudy now after a day of sunny spells. Reached 13.9°C, currently 13.4°C 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Hmm. We'll see!

1668707417_Screenshot_20190507-224546_MetOffice.thumb.jpg.38eb37757ef54a79e68474a992015d26.jpg

It's already been a poor start to the convective season here, worse than last year.

Posted

Drizzly here at the moment, temp 8.3°C

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Some amazing rotation in tonight’s low...!

7F175933-9682-49EE-A6DC-45F1D8F8DEB8.png

Posted

On and off showery rain here. A low of 6.8°C at 03:40, it’s currently 8.5°C