Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West and Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion 01/12/2018 Onwards

Mapantz

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, warm springs, hot summers, warm then stormy autumn

Drip drip. Still raining here. Up to 9.2°C

13 hours ago, Andy Bown said:

It’s not weird at all for Longleat. We go there frequently and it has its own microclimate. Often foggy when Warminster is clear. Often drizzly when Warminster is just cloudy. Always gets more snow than Warminster. Often calmer when Warminster is windy.

I should have said eerie although I have not seen fog and snow together. Mind you I have no been working there for 8 mnths

Posted
1 hour ago, Loulucas said:

I should have said eerie although I have not seen fog and snow together. Mind you I have no been working there for 8 mnths

Fog over snow is due to warmer air moving in over the cold ground.

Posted

Was 9.7c at 3am and dropped to a low of 7.8c at 6:30am.
A little drizzle from midnight to 4am of 0.8mm.

Now light grey skies, 8c, 1019.8 hPa, very light WSW wind.

Looks like quite a windy spell from Thursday to Friday, with forecasts showing 35-49mph gusts.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, warm springs, hot summers, warm then stormy autumn

A cloudy damp start. Temperature reached 9.8°C at 2am and fell to an overnight low of 8.1°C at 7am

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross

Morning all, grey and gloomy here but at least it's stopped raining - for now.

Facebook did one of those memory things this morning...apparently it's 10 years to the day since we had our monumental 2009 snowfall, if memory serves me correctly we weren't forecast to have so much then either and we were the only part of the country to get it. Around here levels, were even deeper than those of last week, February must be our lucky month.

2253_1091277595072_2432_n.jpg

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 4 seasons please

Sun shining through here in Glos, meanwhile on the main thread there is talk of another potential SW snow event this weekend...ECM gunning for it, though I have to admit given current MO forecasts, I'd be very surprised if it played out as per ECM. Still, it is doing a suitable enough job at winding up the Northerners....

Posted
2 hours ago, jethro said:

Morning all, grey and gloomy here but at least it's stopped raining - for now.

Facebook did one of those memory things this morning...apparently it's 10 years to the day since we had our monumental 2009 snowfall, if memory serves me correctly we weren't forecast to have so much then either and we were the only part of the country to get it. Around here levels, were even deeper than those of last week, February must be our lucky month.

2253_1091277595072_2432_n.jpg

Re February being our lucky month...I was born in Devon in February 1956 (yeah, I'm old ) in the midst of snow and freezing temps. All through my childhood there was snow falling or lying on my birthday, but by the time I got to about 20 it stopped. Now it seems that February is becoming a snowy month again and it is most welcome. Funnily enough, if I recall correctly, my very first post on Netweather was about this very thing!

What a soggy night we've just had. Combined with the soggy and windy forecast, my hopes of getting some planting in the garden done today have been thwarted. Mind you.......I see glimmers of hope in the MAD thread for later in the month  .

• Like 2

Posted
52 minutes ago, noggin said:

Re February being our lucky month...I was born in Devon in February 1956 (yeah, I'm old ) in the midst of snow and freezing temps. All through my childhood there was snow falling or lying on my birthday, but by the time I got to about 20 it stopped. Now it seems that February is becoming a snowy month again and it is most welcome. Funnily enough, if I recall correctly, my very first post on Netweather was about this very thing!

What a soggy night we've just had. Combined with the soggy and windy forecast, my hopes of getting some planting in the garden done today have been thwarted. Mind you.......I see glimmers of hope in the MAD thread for later in the month  .

Birthday of September 13th means I'll never see snow on my birthday, neither late nor early falls. Reckon Antarctica is my only option. I do however get sunny dry ones, rare to have a wet birthday; last year was a beautiful hot, sunny, summers day, helped by being in St Ives :-)

• Like 1

Posted

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings

Looks windy overnight tonight, but particularly on Friday. Already showing up 60mph gusts during the afternoon on Friday. Rather not thanks, Friday school run sounds dreadful!

Edited by Super_Uwe

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
32 minutes ago, jethro said:

Birthday of September 13th means I'll never see snow on my birthday, neither late nor early falls. Reckon Antarctica is my only option. I do however get sunny dry ones, rare to have a wet birthday; last year was a beautiful hot, sunny, summers day, helped by being in St Ives

Were you in the area when we had those cracking thunderstorms in 2016? That would've been a birthday treat!

Posted
39 minutes ago, MP-R said:

Were you in the area when we had those cracking thunderstorms in 2016? That would've been a birthday treat!

Can't remember but probably not, usually away for my birthday.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

A bit brighter than yesterday but still mostly cloudy. 9.0°C 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

11°C  with sunny spells here. It's a race against time before the rain arrives!  I'm in the middle of replacing a rotting timber frame around my outside porch/smoking area. I've put a new door in too, but I need to do the surround to stop water coming in. I think i'll have to cover it all up with a plastic sheet. 

I'm not sure why I started it this week with all of this rain and wind?! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers and cold winters with snow.

Looking a bit 

mork-and-mindy-reunion-ftr.jpg

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

Turned foggy here in the last 15 minutes. 8.8°C

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy winters, hot and sunny summers with thunderstorms!

Funny that us in the south are the only ones this year with a major snow event! MAD thread gone wild because there is no sign of cold soon but I'm just sitting back relaxing because we've had our snow fix, just waiting for another. Living in the south, I don't class any winter with a major snow event in the ones to be forgotten. That snow event last weekend 100% redeemed this winter for no cold and that awful mild December.

• Like 4

Posted

Reached 10.1°C earlier, currently 7.8°C and mostly cloudy

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers and cold winters with snow.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Many times I have seen the ICON, AROME and ARPEGE grossly exaggerate wind gusts. I would take that with a large pinch of tobacco, even if Chris Fawkes is flagging it. The Met Office forecast here completely goes against what that ICON chart shows. They are usually pretty accurate for this location, very rarely have I see them underestimate, usually overestimate.

Posted

Light rain here. 7.9°C

Posted

Stayed dry all day so was able to get my gardening done. Feeling worn out and quite sleepy after a day in the fresh air. Didn't come in until 5.30......it's staying light for much longer now, which is great for gardening. Sometimes in the Summer I don't come in until after 10! 

• Like 1