Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West and Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion 01/12/2018 Onwards

Mapantz

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, warm springs, hot summers, warm then stormy autumn

Signing off for the night. It’s up to 6.9°C and it’s increasingly windy

Posted
33 minutes ago, CheesepuffScott said:

Signing off for the night. It’s up to 6.9°C and it’s increasingly windy

Fair well cold spell and snow.....

Posted

cfs-2-432.thumb.png.6c34f5501001adfa4b9e11e82ff30882.png

That's a dodgy looking CFS, cold from across the Atlantic

Edited by Zephyr
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, warm springs, hot summers, warm then stormy autumn

Piddling it down and quite windy. 7.1°C

Posted

Rapid thaw overnight and aided by torrential rain before dawn. Snowmen resembling large blobs and carrots scattered around lol. Very windy this morning too!

• Like 4

Posted

All the snow on the grass is now gone, there’s just a slushy mess in the corner by the porch now! 

Posted
25 minutes ago, CheesepuffScott said:

All the snow on the grass is now gone, there’s just a slushy mess in the corner by the porch now! 

Yes, depressing.

Clinging on to some patchy cover but  it'll be gone by the end of the day. 

febsnow10.thumb.jpg.92deffb9fd426663b0c7a3526fffb05b.jpg

How are mid Feb prospects for cold looking?....wanting to avoid prozac so not venturing into model thread.

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Kiwi said:

Yes, depressing.

Clinging on to some patchy cover but  it'll be gone by the end of the day. 

febsnow10.thumb.jpg.92deffb9fd426663b0c7a3526fffb05b.jpg

How are mid Feb prospects for cold looking?....wanting to avoid prozac so not venturing into model thread.

I just had a quick flick through the last few posts and I saw ‘disappointment’ and ‘westerly’ so take that as a hint:)

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: SW of Sherborne. About a mile from the Somerset border.
  • Location: SW of Sherborne. About a mile from the Somerset border.

Snow all gone, aided by the 8.1mm rain that fell overnight.  Strong breeze and currently 8.4°C

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Well this morning is like vomit compared to recently. Had some quite heavy rain for a time last night and now just dull and mild.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross

Morning, what a difference a day makes....6c here and still raining after a very wet and windy night. Patches of snow clinging on but the depth on my table is a big fat zero with a forlorn looking ruler laying flat on the wood. Looking on the bright side, I can now see my snowdrops again.

• Like 3

Posted
1 hour ago, jethro said:

Morning, what a difference a day makes....6c here and still raining after a very wet and windy night. Patches of snow clinging on but the depth on my table is a big fat zero with a forlorn looking ruler laying flat on the wood. Looking on the bright side, I can now see my snowdrops again.

Good morning from the south east:) Following our quick exchange in the SE thread a few days ago, my mother confirmed that Westfield indeed got a pretty good fall of snow sufficient to prevent her going into the back garden but a neighbour cleared her front garden path although she was afraid to go out for fear of slipping. As she lives in a cul-de-sac there was no gritting so many had been out clearing pavements leaving large piles of snow up to the height of the low garden walls. I reassured her she had no more than 48 hours of laying snow to worry about and by the sounds of it in here, most of the snow is gone this morning. But well done all in the SW who had a really good snow event, I hope you all had the chance to make the most of it, and I'm not jealous at all....;) ❄️

• Like 1

Posted

All gone this morning. The Low giveth and the Low taketh away.

Back to last week... Here's a write up from Richard Martin-Barton (https://twitter.com/RMBwx) on 'Conditional Symmetric Instability' :reindeer-emoji: and why the models were struggling so much re: snow depths.

https://t.co/GNtS3uCitq 

I've read it twice and fully intend to read it half a dozen more times, before the day is out. Or at the very least, look at the pictures.

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers and cold winters with snow.

We can dream of a Winter like this :cold:

• Like 3

Posted
1 hour ago, jtay said:

Back to last week... Here's a write up from Richard Martin-Barton (https://twitter.com/RMBwx) on 'Conditional Symmetric Instability' and why the models were struggling so much re: snow depths.

I've read it twice and fully intend to read it half a dozen more times, before the day is out. Or at the very least, look at the pictures.

Fascinating but doesn’t explain why not one forecast or model the evening before had anything but flurries dying out by midday as the front moved away South.

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, jtay said:

Back to last week... Here's a write up from Richard Martin-Barton (https://twitter.com/RMBwx) on 'Conditional Symmetric Instability' and why the models were struggling so much re: snow depths.

Really interesting stuff. Shows that even the experts get caught out by nature's oddities 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms /Snow

The one I've learned from last week is that if snow is forecast anything can happen.

A lot of us didn't expect it to pan out like that.I didn't expect it to be that complex the way it worked out,but i know nowt about it anyway.

For me it adds to the excitement.

I actually didn't do that well imby,but there were so many suprises.

Bring on the next cold spell.❄️

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & cold (love it) any extremes.

Well I’m full of the joys of winter today NOT. Now 9.0c and our snowman looks like he’s overdone the Weightwatchers diet plan as all that’s left is a carrot and twigs along with my soggy looking scarf and hat. Ah well on to the next cold chase I guess. I’m up for it if you all are ❄️

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms /Snow
58 minutes ago, Crackerjack said:

Well I’m full of the joys of winter today NOT. Now 9.0c and our snowman looks like he’s overdone the Weightwatchers diet plan as all that’s left is a carrot and twigs along with my soggy looking scarf and hat. Ah well on to the next cold chase I guess. I’m up for it if you all are ❄️

Always up for it.....☃️❄️

• Like 1

Posted

Snow well on the way out now and the latest model runs, plus the metoffice further outlooks have done little to raise my spirits this morning!