Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West and Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion 01/12/2018 Onwards

Mapantz

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy winters, hot and sunny summers with thunderstorms!

About 6cm left now where I am but none in the town centre apart from shaded areas and the sheet ice pavements. Lansdown hill looks to have a lot still!

Edited by Leon1
  • Like 2

Posted

Visiting my parents in Surrey where there is very little snow.  I expect to return home to a slush fest later this evening, as the temps rise and the rain arrives!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & cold (love it) any extremes.
27 minutes ago, jethro said:

You're absolutely not alone. Oldie on the outside, big kid on the inside and no intention of trying not to be, quite happy to let the grown ups get on with being grown up but it's not for me, far too dull and boring. 

Thanks jethro my sentiments exactly. I’m called ‘Fun’ granddad by my 3 young granddaughters (well 2 of them the other is 1 yr old but she knows) as I’m the nutter that does mad things with them. Snow covered roads and everyone indoors not me we are on the way to the nearest hill sledge in hand they keep me young at heart bless em. I’m only mid 50’s anyhow so not quite prehistoric YET !!!

• Like 3

Posted

In all fairness still a lying snow day up here,4 miles down to the town it diminishes,cant get a true ASL for here too much fences to jump to get it,but about 135 ft,interested to see Redlynch at nearly 3 times the height,guess Downton and Godshill,the other local weather centres probably higher also,be interested to find that out.Anyway,allow the snow melt to wash through the river,mild conditions,colour in the water,ideal float fishing conditions for roach lol.

• Like 2

Posted

It was bananas around Kingsclere, North Hampshire on Friday. Around 2pm, it just hammered down with snow and didn’t let up at all. We’ve still got around 10 - 12cm lying on all surfaces. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in
4 minutes ago, Schmalex said:

It was bananas around Kingsclere, North Hampshire on Friday. Around 2pm, it just hammered down with snow and didn’t let up at all. We’ve still got around 10 - 12cm lying on all surfaces. 

Seems most of north Hampshire was hit quite hard that day. This end of the county I didn’t get anything on Friday and most of Thursdays snow had melted by the end of the day. 

Edited by matt111

Posted

A good 4-5 inches still near Winterslow, Wiltshire at about 130m asl. I was surprised as the sun felt warm and I was expecting it to melt sooner.

9CFF3213-EDA2-439F-A745-303EDF9EC92B.jpeg

• Like 9

Posted
1 hour ago, jethro said:

You're absolutely not alone. Oldie on the outside, big kid on the inside and no intention of trying not to be, quite happy to let the grown ups get on with being grown up but it's not for me, far too dull and boring. 

Ditto here!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy winters, hot and sunny summers with thunderstorms!

Went over to the south of Bath for a walk today and there is still a good 6 inches there as during the winter, the sun only hits that side of the town in the early morning.

• Like 3

Posted
8 hours ago, Smartie said:

That's mad, traffic chaos still. Apart from a few spots in the garden where the sun doesn't reach at this time of year the snow is all but vanished. 

Yes it's obviously the extra height. I went down to a milder Cornwall today but there was still some snow piled up on a few of the roadsides, not something I've seen in mid Cornwall for a while. 

As much as I'd like us all to get some of the white stuff, I'm always extra pleased for our Cornish neighbours.

• Like 3

Posted

Cycled up to Cothelstone Hill on the Quantocks yesterday, quite deep snow in places going half way up my shins! Took 2 hours to get up there, less than an hour to get back!

Exmoor Ponies05.jpg

IMG_20190202_114006.jpg

IMG_20190202_123542.jpg

View From Enmore Hill02.jpg

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Most(see in interests section.)
1 hour ago, GPC said:

A good 4-5 inches still near Winterslow, Wiltshire at about 130m asl. I was surprised as the sun felt warm and I was expecting it to melt sooner.

9CFF3213-EDA2-439F-A745-303EDF9EC92B.jpeg

Totally agree with you there.

Here in Frome felt warm today after last night very very cold night. 

Despie warm sun still 5-6 inches widespread 

another day of sledging .

94EBD6D4-13CF-4C7C-B1A1-B71DC574AFAD.jpeg

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

Temperature rising after dropping earlier this evening. Up to 7.3°C

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold snow, thunderstorms

DJI_0004.thumb.JPG.a5bd7ca330d590d8432491eb8760d47d.JPGtaken yesterday as the sun was setting

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, warm springs, hot summers, warm then stormy autumn

Reached 6.7°C today, temperature fell to 5.2°C this evening but has risen to 6.0°C again

Posted

I'm sure it will be gone by morning especially with all the rain forecast . I think only the snowman will be there with a few patches in the shade. Just did a picture with the flash outside and there's not much left .

It's been a great long weekend and it defo wouldn't have been as good without all of you guys. Cheers 

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme!

After a very cold start and a crisp morning. The snow is now disappearing, kind of an odd thaw mind,  not really any dripping it’s just kind of evaporating.

All in all a blooming fantastic snowfall, and definitely the heaviest falling snow I have seen in at least 10 years. Friday morning was epic in terms of visible falling snow,  just about made 4 inches in about 3/4 hours (on top of the 2 inches that had fallen overnight)

Here to the next one eh. 

Edited by chris55
  • Like 5

Posted

And so the hunt for the next cold spell is officially on!

Still a good 5-6 weeks left of cold hunting to go, and I got a feeling we might see something else turn up around months end but for now looks like a mild unsettled week to come.

currently 4.3°c, dew point 2.9°c

1020.8mb, rain 3.0mm from snow melt! 

• Like 4

Posted

Up to 7.9°C now, highest it's been all day. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, warm springs, hot summers, warm then stormy autumn

It’s up to 6.5°C here, wind is picking up a little too

Posted

Well, not quite the slush fest when I got home, but a rapid thaw will be well on the way by morning.  Still, 3 days of lying snow with no deep cold isn’t a bad effort.