Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West and Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion 01/12/2018 Onwards

Mapantz

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy winters, hot and sunny summers with thunderstorms!

It's sad to see it go but we made the most of it. There's still 2 months where it can snow this year too!

Just went outside and it's so crunchy underfoot now. Some icicles forming and ice patches on parts of the patio.

Edited by Leon1
  • Like 2

Posted

Reading through, looks like many of you way to the West and North of me had a good load of extra snow showers yesterday. Hope you enjoyed it.
The little short snow shower spell we had yesterday evening fizzed out to sleet and then rain.

Its a very bright sunny frosty morning here, with a low of 0c at 7am, now 0,5c.
NNW 7-10mph wind, 1005.5 hPa.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional
7 hours ago, kumquat said:

13cm here. some got 20+ in Mendips, out Bath way and Somerset (add in further East overnight and today Wilts, Berks, Hamp.) Glos, Cotswolds, S Wales got into Northern Extent as did Ox) Further in town (Bris) probs a bit less but 10 to 12 cm widely. Cornwall, Devon got high moors action and unexpected sea level snow (include Dorset) - I saw Hayle and Newquay recording heavy snow - Main road over Bodmin got out of hand 100s put up overnight!. It was one of those nights where nowcasting was King and the models were "erratic". And it kept going all day today. Multiple, stalled and fully circulatory mesoscale features breaking away and feeding back into Occlusions and associated Upper Low fronts caused havoc (several times over the period)

You should do news reports on the Beeb with all that detail. I agree with all you say. Off to check my 9 am snow cover.

EDIT: 140mm now so broadly speaking, 5 1/2 inches, lost half an inch since last evening. The slow melt continues once the AT rises high enough.

Edited by gottolovethisweather
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers
29 minutes ago, Uncle Gargy said:

The MAD thread are trying to write off winter already. But I think nature has more surprises for us.

She ain't finished with the cold yet!

Winter maybe, but March is often prime time for Scandi Heights. March is more of a winter month than December imo, in terms of getting snow and cold uppers to the southern UK. But if that’s winter done, I’m pretty satisfied ⛄

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Most(see in interests section.)
12 hours ago, Mapantz said:

haha - you always ask me where I am or think i'm somewhere else 

It's below my profile pic and and in my signature.

Ah sorry 

it's just I'm on mobile and it doesnt show your location . 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy winters, hot and sunny summers with thunderstorms!
5 minutes ago, karlos1983 said:

Winter maybe, but March is often prime time for Scandi Heights. March is more of a winter month than December imo, in terms of getting snow and cold uppers to the southern UK. But if that’s winter done, I’m pretty satisfied ⛄

I'd do anything to relive yesterday, shame groundhog day is today not yesterday! The weather will continue to scare us and surprise us but I would love another big snow day this winter although I wouldn't be upset if that's all what we got. What makes a winter for me is one big snow event. If I was being picky I would make the snow last longer but it was amazing while it lasted. Still looks lovely today.

• Like 5

Posted
2 minutes ago, West is Best said:

Why? If they had paid attention they wouldn't have been stuck in their cars

I've also mentioned previously that I think warnings should be issued further ahead, but the Met did a brilliant job.

What astonishes me is how people don't pay attention. I told my Ex to leave Exeter early afternoon: I'd have left at 1pm and I said '3 pm cut off.' She eventually left at 4pm and only just made it back into north Devon through thick snow.

Posted

Just to be a little direct about this ... there's an Amber warning in force for rain turning readily to snow over South-West England and you think it's a bright idea to drive up over Bodmin Moor?

I mean, great if you want to see snowdrifts but don't blame the Met Office if you end up spending the night in your car or in the Jamaica Inn.

• Like 6

Posted
57 minutes ago, West is Best said:

Why? If they had paid attention they wouldn't have been stuck in their cars

As I said snow was never forecast for Cornwall up until it started chucking it down with thick snow . Also most busy people follow the weather on apps and even as it Was white out it still said heavy rain . Also it happened so quick it went from heavy rain to 4 inches of snow in about half an hour. On this occasion I do think it’s a bit harsh to have a go at folk. We don’t all have hindsight unlike you. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and snow

Well then all I can say is what a couple of days it has been!

Will start off with Thursday. So the day had started off on dry and relatively bright note, cloud moved in around midday which it stayed like that for quite a few hours. The first wave of precipitation arrived late Afternoon around 4pmish, it started as rain and sleet across the whole Island which was like that for a good 45 minutes to an hour.

Reports started coming in of the rain and sleet and started turning to snow across Central and Western parts of the island! By around 6pm, the reports coming in were that many places was snowing, but at this point, only the far East coast of the Island was under sleet (Which happens to be my area). Set off for a bowls game in Ryde, when we got there, the rain was rapidly turning to snow, with big flakes getting thrown in by now. The game started, the sound of our bowls club tin roof went silent and at this point I had a huge adrenaline rush, knowing that there was heavy precipitation falling and our roof being silent, it had turned to heavy snow! I snuck off the green for a cheeky look as I couldn't help myself, and it really was heavy snow coming down! 

The opposing team conceded the game early with our team so far ahead, they wanted to get back early in case the snow got too bad. I quickly ran off the green, shouted in excitement ( DO YOU WANNA BUILD A SNOWMANNN)  << the look I got given .  Anyway left the club, and there was a good inch fallen outside at this stage with yet more heavy snow falling. It was a treacherous ride home. Got to Sandown and amazingly there was hardly any snow on the ground, it had only just turned to snow in this area at the time I got back. Half hour later my good old storm and snow chasing buddy came and picked me up in his 4 by 4 and we headed out to central and western parts where it was really really awesome! Was really a magical night, we went to Newport town square, heavy snow with very light winds was just amazing. We then went into the middle of Parkhurst forest at mid night, got the body the board, using this ledge and snow made ramps! There was a good 6-7cms in this area. We then went to our final destination out towards Freshwater which had even more with snow accumulating to about 10cms. 

What I found amazing was, there was no precipitation showing over the island on the radar at this point, but we just had continuous moderate-heavy snow falling non stop for hours! Then all the stars came out on the way back home and it was still snowing moderate to heavy! Sandown and Shanklin finally had a coating when I got back, but these were the only 2 places where it didn't do quite so well.

Just this one photo from Newport, but have got a couple of video clips which I will upload 

Last one, we had another period of Moderate to Heavy snow falling yesterday Afternoon for a good hour and a half which gave another new coating  

Newport Snow.jpg

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross

Gibby just posted this on his FB page, it's an image taken this morning showing snow cover. The dot is Gibby's village, I'm a couple of miles from there, seems we were INCREDIBLY lucky to get any snow here, let alone the amount we got, so close to missing out completely.

51381326_972626816261768_976897123293331456_n.jpg

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

It’s certainly been an interesting and exciting few days for this region. In the end the 5cm I got here seems like nothing compared to a lot of the totals elsewhere but still it was nice to see.

It was disappointing to see it all disappear so quickly yesterday though, the last remaining patches of snow that were there last night had gone by the time I looked outside this morning. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

There could be some seriously low minimas tonight in your areas.. where snow has settled -7 widespread I reckon

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

I managed to pick up my parcel deliveries this morning, but I've sacked off delivering them until tomorrow as the roads are like skating rinks, the side roads are terrible, and the less said about the pavements/paths, the better!....

What an event yesterday!....On friday afternoon I was a moaning minny who despaired of seeing even one snow flake, and then during friday night and all day yesterday, I saw a few billion of the buggers...lol......We maxed out at 25cm of snow on even surfaces, and with a solid freeze overnight there's been negligible thaw

I just wanted to say how much I enjoyed reading this thread yesterday and a big thumbs up to all who contributed.....Loads of great posts, stories, piccies and a ton of good banter!....bring on the next event! 

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry mild or snow winter. Hot and humid summer.
2 minutes ago, Jayfromcardiff said:

When's the next snow coming lol

Thursday the 21st about 6.58 ish pm  

joking apart, mad thread a number of people saying winters over. It’s fairly evident that the next 7/10 days there is little opportunity in our region but from there who knows. Still time and enough going on for us to remain interested 

Posted

Was just looking at Jan 6th 2010 which I always looked back on as a big snow event for where I lived. Looking at it today it looks like a dusting! We got 4 times the amount of that! I'm always gonna look back on this event as the best snow event in living where I do in my life.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, warm springs, hot summers, warm then stormy autumn

I hear the ice has made for some treacherous conditions around here. A van skidded and almost crashed on ice heading down Lode Hill and apparently there’s a car in the ditch further up! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Most(see in interests section.)
15 hours ago, Mapantz said:

If my memory serves me right, we should get another cold spell and shot at snow in about a fortnight, then straight in to Summer a week or two after that.

You forgot the spectacular electrical storms too ⚡

• Like 2

Posted

BBC Outlook.

Monday 11 February—Sunday 17 February

Becoming a little less mild

In our last update, we mentioned that there was a chance of some colder weather arriving around the middle of February. The reason for this was because we expected high pressure currently over the east and north-east of Europe to start to extend westwards towards the UK, with cooler easterly winds potentially reaching our shores. Whilst this scenario still looks possible, it now seems more likely a little later in the month, with high pressure and cold air slower to spread westwards.

However, we do think that after a relatively mild spell, it will become a little cooler towards the middle of the month. This is mainly due to an expected reduction in the broadly westerly winds coming in from the Atlantic. In this case, it would also become drier.

It should be stressed that there is quite a lot of uncertainty for this period of the February, as there is low confidence in the timing of the transition from unsettled westerlies to more of a blocked, settled pattern.

We could potentially see low pressure systems continuing to push in from the west, with the weather remaining unsettled, wet and windy but mild. There is only a small risk of anything substantially colder at this stage.

Monday 18 February—Sunday 3 March

Chance of colder weather setting in

It is likely that the final third of February will see a cold spell developing across the UK. This is most likely to be due to a 'blocked' pattern across northern Europe, this preventing our usual mild flow in from the Atlantic, with an increased chance of easterly or north-easterly winds developing. All areas of the country look colder than normal, and many areas will be drier and less windy than normal. There will be an enhanced risk of snow to lower levels and overnight frosts.

There is some uncertainty over the duration and magnitude of this cold spell, and it seems likely that it will be a relatively short spell of cold weather, with things perhaps returning to nearer normal for the start of March.

Whilst a spell of cold weather is the most likely story, there is an alternative scenario which suggests that we could see the Atlantic maintaining some influence on the weather. This would mean that it wouldn't be as widely cold - temperatures would be nearer normal - and there would be a reduced risk of snow. However, it would probably still be cooler than average for the time of year.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/outlook

Edited by Zephyr
  • Like 3