Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West and Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion 01/12/2018 Onwards

Mapantz

Posted

I tell ya what though guys it has been facinating to watch for sure! So many not due any. And I think all of us saw at least some snow in the end. Albeit a sugar coating here or a dig me out job there. Very rare for everyone to see something. We have been lucky to have it at all even if not the amount some wanted or way too much for those that wanted none. I would love to know the ins and outs in thicko language as to why what happened did - both the stalling - the 2ndry low feature - the tiny amounts for here - the falling but not laying etc etc. Lets hope summer is as exciting in storms! Ah I love weather

• Like 8

Posted
11 minutes ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

I would love to know the ins and outs in thicko language as to why what happened did - both the stalling - the 2ndry low feature - the tiny amounts for here - the falling but not laying etc etc.

Haha - hey beka, if you do find out all of the above, please let the Met Office know, I think they're as bamboozled as the rest of us!

Hope you get a good dumping next time ❄️ and thanks for the laughs 

• Like 1

Posted

The event is over for me, but what an amazing 24 hours. The secondary low(s) were a bonus,  and a forecasters nightmare. Proof,were it needed, you can spend literally months studying models,dissecting them, being elated/ devastated by a bloody run; but at the end of the day nature will take its course. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted
16 minutes ago, kumquat said:

Haha - hey beka, if you do find out all of the above, please let the Met Office know, I think they're as bamboozled as the rest of us!

Hope you get a good dumping next time ❄️ and thanks for the laughs 

Dude if we don't laugh we will cry! And I don't want ot be accused of melting everyones snow now do I?! x

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy winters, hot and sunny summers with thunderstorms!
8 minutes ago, gloucesterlad said:

What a remarkable few days... the build up.. the let down for some and then the sudden turn around for some of us... though some still had none, some had a bit, some had an inch or two and some had up to a foot !

Been a roller coaster ride and great to read all the comments ! 

I note that this thread started on 1st December and it now runs to 240 pages. But... the last 160 belong to this current spell !

Here's to the next Atlantic invasion ! Well... no chance of a beast from the east!  Or.... is there 

This lurker will surely be back again! 

Quite right❄I hope everyone lucky enough for snow has made the most of it as it will probably be all gone by tomorrow evening.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, warm springs, hot summers, warm then stormy autumn

0.6°C here

Posted

Love all the people's reports and photos on here yesterday and today. Sadly my area didn't fair too well compared to areas further North, but that's how these events can work out. I at least had 3cm laying last night before the melt today. Hills are still covered so visited them today to get my daytime fix.

Atlantic arrives back on our shores from Sunday night onwards, rapidly melting all the snow, so if you've got it or can make it to an area that has, enjoy it!

I'll go back to model watching now, the bit a secretly love too much (followed by snowfall of course!)

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes
5 hours ago, Bristle boy said:

Hi all. What's the depth South Glos?

I measured 17cm of level snow at its peak here in Yate. Around 10cm of that fell in the few hours of Friday morning as the front stalled and kept intensifying.

I was lucky enough to have a day off on Friday so I could really enjoy it. Still a good covering here this morning after a freezing night. A truely memorable event for me.

• Like 4

Posted

Slow thaw stalled by the temperature being way below freezing this morning. Just about down to -4c.

Everything looks amazing but clearing up work to do to enable life to resume!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, warm springs, hot summers, warm then stormy autumn

Good morning. A clear and frosty start, with minimal thaw! An overnight low of -2.1°C currently -1.6°C

• Like 1

Posted

Heard the road is very icy this morning, will go out for a walk in a while.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross

Morning all, a low of -4.4c here overnight, currently -3 and everything is very crispy. Bit of a thaw yesterday afternoon but level measurement on table this morning is 21cm so still deep snow cover here. The sky is blue, the sun's shining, all in all my favourite kind of winter weather, truly beautiful out there. Don't want it to melt

• Like 8

Posted

Morning all very beautiful morning here the sun rising over the snow, clear skies, just perfect will be a shame when it goes although I won't be disappointed, I made the most of it yesterday!

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional
10 hours ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

I tell ya what though guys it has been facinating to watch for sure! So many not due any. And I think all of us saw at least some snow in the end. Albeit a sugar coating here or a dig me out job there. Very rare for everyone to see something. We have been lucky to have it at all even if not the amount some wanted or way too much for those that wanted none. I would love to know the ins and outs in thicko language as to why what happened did - both the stalling - the 2ndry low feature - the tiny amounts for here - the falling but not laying etc etc. Lets hope summer is as exciting in storms! Ah I love weather

Firstly we had the jet diving way south of us. A snow-covered near-continent meant winds from that direction would feed us the right conditions for producing extra quantities of snow. A succession of frontal features was embedded within the surface low, and the initial one took an age to reach all parts, so in effect did stall catching forecasters out. The precipitation was also heavy enough to sustain snow instead of sleet for large areas of the region. All of this should tell us that meteorology is a learning curve every day and the pros are not infallible, it is Mother Nature playing games with us after all. The overnight warnings were correct for my region, as they stated it would last all day Friday in effect, but why they downgraded them to a Yellow warning by morning, I don't know.

• Like 3