Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West and Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion 01/12/2018 Onwards

Mapantz

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Most(see in interests section.)
1 hour ago, James86 said:

Bit frustraighting down here in Southampton knowing what is happening about 20/30 mins away. Never know though, no one seems to have any idea what's happening/going to happen.

I grew up down there and remember being really frustrated on so many occasions by exactly what you just mentioned there about the 20/30 minutes away scenarios . Maybe the silent keeps it a little milder but time and time again ano would avoid the city and hit sotrounding areas hard at times .

moving up here to Frome only 1hr 20 mins away and altitude huge difference in weather types. 

You have my sympathies . 

Posted
25 minutes ago, Leon1 said:

Lol people saying how this has been a terrible winter but I'm just sitting there thinking, this was a great winter! Any winter with snow like this does not deserve to be called a failure, especially when it is in an area which rarely gets it!

I've always thought this but most of the time when it snows in the south-west I usually think that it's quite rare but when it happens, there always seems to be a lot?

Couldn't agree more Leon .a great winter and is all I want just one decent snow event and more then that's a bonus but the snow fix is sorted  

• Like 2

Posted
5 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

I would agree with you if I had your snow. However, it has still been a crap Winter for me - in terms of snow/frosts/temps. At the moment, i've had the least frosts of the past 4 Winters, it's currently the warmest of the past 4, and getting close to the wettest as well. A couple of cm's of snow which had melted within 24 hours doesn't quench my snow thirst, unlike last year.

I thought you were in Bristol and got loads there too? 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
1 minute ago, offerman said:

I thought you were in Bristol and got loads there too? 

haha - you always ask me where I am or think i'm somewhere else 

It's below my profile pic and and in my signature.

Posted
2 hours ago, That ECM said:

What region is Basingstoke in? Want to see some pics 

Another couple of recent potato pictures from Basingstoke for you.

I make it 21-22 cm so far.

snow19-01.thumb.jpg.89acb89badff5461d6f74847a890cc6f.jpg

snow19-02.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry mild or snow winter. Hot and humid summer.
11 minutes ago, padath said:

snow19-02.jpg

Brilliant. So pleased for many in our region. Down here was nowhere near as good but still great to see heavy snow falling 

i take it the potato’s are buried

Edited by That ECM
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, warm springs, hot summers, warm then stormy autumn

Hopefully the snow sticks around for a little while tomorrow without thawing too much, I want to get some nice pictures with the forecasted clear skies.

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, CheesepuffScott said:

Hopefully the snow sticks around for a little while tomorrow without thawing too much, I want to get some nice pictures with the forecasted clear skies.

Do the skies clear overnight?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

If my memory serves me right, we should get another cold spell and shot at snow in about a fortnight, then straight in to Summer a week or two after that.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, warm springs, hot summers, warm then stormy autumn
1 minute ago, Zephyr said:

Do the skies clear overnight?

MO has me down for partly cloudy skies from 6am and clear skies from 10am but from experience, it could be earlier.. could be later

Posted

Is it just me or is it a tad breezy tonight?

Posted
2 hours ago, Frosty1 said:

Must be in our region, central southern England. I’m just North of Basingstoke and we have heavy snow again here.  Started about an hour ago. Looking at the radar we are in a sweet spot at the moment.  The situation around Basingstoke is serious. Lots of people stuck in cars on M3 and surrounding roads.  M3 was completely blocked. 

This is new bonkers!! 15 minutes north of me. Been snowing lightly for hours and some heavier but nothing laying! It's mad. Got a dusting now out of this back edge bit but with the constant snow since after lunch I would have expected more to lay I will remember this event for sure. For the close but no cigar on delivery of big goods! Just ripped open little parcels ...

Posted
40 minutes ago, padath said:

snow19-02.jpg

Wow, that puts my 10 cm to shame somewhat!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold snow, thunderstorms

Well after the fun of radar watching all day yesterday and today and the will it won’t it’s what a 24 hr period that was, very good for some and not so good for others, I’m exhausted, work tomorrow at 6am so to my friends of the southwest nutters club I bid you all goodnight and cold and snowy dreams

fromey 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Only about 3cm in our garden here in Reading this morning and despite all the weather warnings and apparently a dumping just to the south of us the net effect of the (mainly) occasional sleet and snizzle today has been a slow thaw, with only about half the snow left here, wet roads and patches of slush on the pavements. A strange day for us - the radar has shown us getting a pasting but very little has actually been falling from the sky. The image shows the radar at 8.00pm with Reading close to the centre - we didn't get anything around that time.

snow_feb_19.thumb.PNG.3bd097e61e95d48f734859c9ff0f73f7.PNG

Edited by Stargazer
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, snow and ice. The usual.
21 minutes ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

This is new bonkers!! 15 minutes north of me. Been snowing lightly for hours and some heavier but nothing laying! It's mad. Got a dusting now out of this back edge bit but with the constant snow since after lunch I would have expected more to lay I will remember this event for sure. For the close but no cigar on delivery of big goods! Just ripped open little parcels ...

I've enjoyed this spell but feel the same,  got unlucky with timing and position both days, sat in the dry slot for almost two hours this afternoon and despite hours of actual precip, some heavy, it just hasn't amounted to any more than a couple of very wet centimetres.

But it's fine I'm over it :cray:

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: sw gales or lot's of snow

Couple of pics from earlier today ontop of haldon hill on the way to work. Snowy pretty trees and abandoned cars on the b3192 golf course Road to Teignmouth.  Not much melt on the way home this evening, still a winter wonderland 

_20190201_221108.JPG

_20190201_221240.JPG

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

Think that's it now here since the sleety rains stopped. Of course now the DP's dropping again, I guess it might help preserve the small amount of snow left on the ground a bit longer.

• Like 1

Posted
35 minutes ago, Don said:

Wow, that puts my 10 cm to shame somewhat!

And my 9cm!

Posted
1 hour ago, padath said:

snow19-02.jpg

I just don't understand how!?? How can so much change in such a short distance? This is what has amazed me about this event! How has areas around us got heavy snow and had it lie and we have had lighter - with some heavier but it not lie?? I just don't get it! What happened dudes?

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, CheesepuffScott said:

And my 9cm!

And there was me thinking I had done well today! 

Edited by Don