Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West and Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion 01/12/2018 Onwards

Mapantz

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms in the summer, frost fog & snow in winter.

I just thought, I replied to someone in a thread on here, last month I think it was as he said that people in the south West should approach every winter accepting the fact that it's unlikely to snow, bit ironic really someone saying that when you consider what unfolded in the south west and the far south last night & considering the snow depths being reported & hour after hour of heavy snow some have received today (sadly not me) 

Edited by Smartie
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Location: SW of Sherborne. About a mile from the Somerset border.
  • Location: SW of Sherborne. About a mile from the Somerset border.
14 minutes ago, kent said:

Have to drive down to Plymouth tomorrow from Poole for nieces wedding.   Can anyone from that area inform me of the conditions down there. Thank you.

If you're planning on using A35-A30 as far as Honiton you should be OK.  I can't offer anything beyond that but suggest that www.roadworks.org is a very useful web site giving up to date info on incidents and roadworks.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy winters, hot and sunny summers with thunderstorms!

Lol people saying how this has been a terrible winter but I'm just sitting there thinking, this was a great winter! Any winter with snow like this does not deserve to be called a failure, especially when it is in an area which rarely gets it!

I've always thought this but most of the time when it snows in the south-west I usually think that it's quite rare but when it happens, there always seems to be a lot?

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, warm springs, hot summers, warm then stormy autumn

Still snowing here surprisingly, but just light flurries now. Temp 0.7°C

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, warm springs, hot summers, warm then stormy autumn
Just now, Leon1 said:

Lol people saying how this has been a terrible winter but I'm just sitting there thinking, this was a great winter! Any winter with snow like this does not deserve to be called a failure, especially when it is in an area which rarely gets it!

I've always thought this but most of the time when it snows in the south-west I usually think that it's quite rare but when it happens, there always seems to be a lot?

I am confident we will see at least a little bit more snow before the winter is out. But even if we don't, this will be a memorable event in my books.

• Like 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, Lyn-M said:

If you're planning on using A35-A30 as far as Honiton you should be OK.  I can't offer anything beyond that but suggest that www.roadworks.org is a very useful web site giving up to date info on incidents and roadworks.

Thank you.

Posted
20 minutes ago, CheesepuffScott said:

image.thumb.png.cedb6cc70645bf0d92b3f99766c0817c.png

No, maybe it won't actually snow when I have to go voyage to the capital on the 16th... it'll feel like April. Promise!

February 1998 all over again.  Yuck!!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy winters, hot and sunny summers with thunderstorms!

I'm changing my profile pic now to a very memorable snow event, wonder which one it will be? 

Yup, 31st January - 1st February 2019 :drinks:

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow!!!
2 minutes ago, Leon1 said:

I've noticed this too. Didn't get much this time but last beast from the east we had loads down here in Poole. Always seems to take so much to get any down here though, which is a bit annoying 

Posted

Is anyone here around the Banbury, Oxfordshire area? I never know what region they put it under!

Meant to be visiting family tomorrow and wondered what the snow situation was up there ??‍♂️

Posted

Here in Andover we are right on the edge of the band as it slowly pulls away now.

probably the longest snow event I can remember. Non stop for basically 24 hours.

a lot of my friends in Whitchurch and Basingstoke have had to abandon cars etc.

i work less than half a mile away so walked in today. On the way home it was brutal. Really coming down and the snow easily went over the top of my high top trainers.

was going to see my dad in Basingstoke hospital this afternoon/evening but there was just no chance of making it. My car is RWD for a start so couldn’t even get it off the drive and even in a 4x4 I wouldn’t have fancied it.

hope the main roads are cleared by tomorrow late morning so I can go to the hospital.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Most(see in interests section.)
2 hours ago, fromey said:

@offerman what was you final depth, I made it 23cm roughly 9inches 

Hi Fromey 

i made it around 25cm but I think that's because it's really open up here on top of the hill sonslogjtly more exposed .

it did seem 23-27 variances so took 25 

but what an event we had and one to remember . 

I made screenshots of virtually the whole event on radar as something to reflect back upon one day. 

Some thawed a bit through the day despite heavy snow falling but whether that's from compression and not so much thawing I'm not sure maybe a bit of both. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow!!!
23 minutes ago, CheesepuffScott said:

image.thumb.png.cedb6cc70645bf0d92b3f99766c0817c.png

No, maybe it won't actually snow when I have to go voyage to the capital on the 16th... it'll feel like April. Promise!

Ugh! This would be awful reminds me of my early years living in Penzance, Cornwall drizzle and mild and gross!

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Mapantz said:

Judging by yesterday's reports and what's happening now, the Met Office haven't come out smelling of roses on this one!

Couldn't agree more with that.  I find bbc a little smug occasionally 

Edited by offerman
Wrong corp

Posted

Couldn't be bothered to change my profile pic actually as the pictures take up to much space. (more than 300kb) I'll try and condense them down tomorrow or something

I'd like to change it to this though:

image.thumb.png.5ad56a2df821677dc99aa778ba64fa52.png

Edited by Leon1
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms in the summer, frost fog & snow in winter.
17 minutes ago, Leon1 said:

The south west can be the best place to be sometimes, last night showed that, the slider lp track ended up being so far south than when it was first picked up by the models that only the south west and the south of the county was affected. 

Get a good scandi high where it causes fronts to stall from the atlantic coming in from the south west and who ends up getting loads of snow when the fonts hardly make it into the uk, we do, sometimes being closer to the atlantic than other parts of the uk can be a bonus & as Jethro said in the mod thread, all this snow come about even though it's not even been that cold really, no deep siberian freeze in place over the county yet the so called worse place in the uk to get snow got dumped on over the past 24 hours. 

Edited by Smartie
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

Certainly wasn’t a memorable event here but still a decent amount for here last night. Shame most of it’s melted already. Nothing exciting here this evening with the odd bit of sleety rain but otherwise dry. 

• Like 2

Posted

For me yesterday was a disaster!! Most of the iow had laying snow yet wet in shanklin gutted!! Had few flurries earlier but really hope we get something else this winter that I can actually enjoy just a few snowballs and a snowman that’s all I want ❄️❄️

• Like 2

Posted
3 hours ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

BBC forecasts are rubbish! 4 hrs ago and shows it over the SE. It's still west of here lol

Yes they are . To me they used to be better way back unless the  atmosphere ,solar activity has played  havoc more so in recent years something has gone a miss. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fascinated by extreme weather. Despise drizzle.

Unofficially rating this event a 4 out of 10 here; its bark was worse than its bite so to speak. Never seen so much snow fall without accumulating - let alone with widespread snow cover already in place; closest I can recall is a disappointing day in March 2006 when there wasn't any on the ground to start with. 

Ironically, around 4:30 this afternoon there was the heaviest snow I can recall seeing at this particular location, yet it only served to add more icy water to the roads and pavements and even the lawns and fields turned a bit slushy in places. The temp was just shy of 1*C at the time and dew point 0.2*C, but I've seen accumulations with those values before so my best guess is the lack of a good freeze-up last night, coupled with the insulating effect of snow, allowed the existing snow mass and exposed surfaces to reach a little above the freezing mark as the air temp rose slightly today.

Oh well, I did unusually well out of last year's event so I feel a bit daft whinging on about this one - rant over! 

Enjoy your drier, more scenic snow, those who have it!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
22 minutes ago, Leon1 said:

I would agree with you if I had your snow. However, it has still been a crap Winter for me - in terms of snow/frosts/temps. At the moment, i've had the least frosts of the past 4 Winters, it's currently the warmest of the past 4, and getting close to the wettest as well. A couple of cm's of snow which had melted within 24 hours doesn't quench my snow thirst, unlike last year.

Edited by Mapantz
  • Like 3

Posted

Proof that you don't need deep cold uppers, long drawn bitter easterlies, greenland and scandi highs to deliver snowfall, even to lowland far SW of England the least snowy part of the UK, just a cold pool, and enough precipitation moving into it.

I'm impressed with the snow in Cornwall in particular, evaporative cooling at play.

Pleased much of the west country have enjoyed a very decent snow event.

These are the kind of set ups that delivered some of the great snowstorms of yesteryear, on rare occasions the SW can be the best place for heavy snowfall, when fronts stall against cold blocks over the rest of the UK. We've not had many such set ups in recent years, but they do occur.

• Like 7