Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West and Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion 01/12/2018 Onwards

Mapantz

Posted
1 hour ago, Climate_Eyes said:

BBC forecasts are rubbish! 4 hrs ago and shows it over the SE. It's still west of here lol

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, *Stormforce~beka* said:

BBC forecasts are rubbish! 4 hrs ago and shows it over the SE. It's still west of here lol

All models completely bamboozled by this. In fact, I now have all models telling me it should be snowing in my location right now, yet it is still raining! I'm not sure anyone can predict even the next 6 hours. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fascinated by extreme weather. Despise drizzle.

Had about half an hour of roughly 20p-sized flakes, but no accumulation on wet surfaces and little change to existing snow depths due to the heavy flakes compressing what was already there.

Temp must just be a smidgen too high - but I never realised before now just how heavily it can snow with minimal impact on surface conditions!

Now back into another dry slot and struggling to judge whether much more will arrive as it rotates around a low that's gradually heading east. Still throwing it down over most of the New Forest by the looks of it - should be impressive out there tomorrow morning. Temp has dropped a bit just as the snow has gone - typical .

No getting away from the fact that the peak depths have been much less here than even places 5 miles away but on higher ground. That's just how it is when you live at only 10 m ASL and an event is marginal on the broad scale. Having said that - the weather's sending of so many dry slots my way during the past 24 hours is a bit of a d!ck move IMO .

I'm glad I had some time to walk in the pristine snow this morning - that's something to remember fondly, albeit still a bit overshadowed by last year's 18 cm of power snow with many drifts 2-3 times higher .

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, warm springs, hot summers, warm then stormy autumn

Just measured patio again, we hit 9cm. Looking at the radar, there should be something falling again soon?

Edited by CheesepuffScott
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Most(see in interests section.)
1 minute ago, CheesepuffScott said:

Just measured patio again, we hit 9cm

That's a mighty small patio you got there Cheese.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
1 minute ago, CheesepuffScott said:

Just measured patio again, we hit 9cm

Wow; that's some patio! Did you make it out of Lego?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat and thunderstorms, snow in winter

Light snow here again but watching that heavier blob stay just to the west over the Forest and refusing to move east is torture!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot in Summer Cold in Winter

Good to see everyone south of the M4 get their dumping, it was a bit of a blink and you'll miss it event here.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme!

The intricacies of an unstable airmass stalling against a cold airmass will always be a very difficult, if not impossible situation to model.

As many of us said yesterday it would be a nowcast type period, and boy did that scenario come true!!

At one point yesterday afternoon I had lost all hope of even seeing a flake! And we ended up with 6inches. Even Cornwall go hammered which was not forecast.

And to add to that the Mets last minute Amber warning this morning ended up being to Far East! 

So all in all we have reinforced the fact that  weather models are not always on the money, they are mear mortals at the end of the day. Granted sometimes they are excellent, and if this has been a rain event no one would have taken much notice (and that’s the important bit) but as its snowfall and we follow every second it highlights the issues. Macro scale features will often pop up at the last minute.

Enjoy the moment if you got a pasting, look forward to the next one, but remember how today unfolded and hold it in the back of your mind for further events  

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

Not much happening here at the moment and there hasn’t been for a while now despite what the radar shows. Still a bit of last nights snow on the ground but a lot of it’s gone now, not helped by that wet snow that fell around 3pm. 

Just spoken to someone on the M3 near Basingstoke and this was the scene there not long ago. 

867658E9-2745-44C4-A941-57A1737AAE15.jpeg

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

debating whether to even venture to the Chippenham depot early tomorrow morning to pick up my parcel deliveries....No doubt I'll get a ton of grief if I don't but roads will be treacherous come early tomorrow with refrozen stuff, so might tell them to get stuffed, I'll be in on sunday

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, snow and more snow

That very slow moving area of snow over Hampshire is edging this way just enough to catch the edge of it

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Interesting weather

Very nice snow day, thick, crunchy, perfect building material and sledging surface, radar last night showed it falling before it actually fell but the delay allowed all colleagues to get safely through parents' evening before it started. Woke at midnight to find it was already nice and thick, school was announced as closed by 7:15, lots of fun outside and plenty of cosy time by the fire afterwards, very happy to have seen this snow event unfold the way it did.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold snow, thunderstorms

@offerman what was you final depth, I made it 23cm roughly 9inches 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, warm springs, hot summers, warm then stormy autumn

Sounds bad near Lyndhurst.

• Like 1

Posted

About 25mm of snow on the ground here this morning and slightly more on nearby fields. Just light wintry precipitation at times today, mainly sleet, giving a slight thaw during the day. I really don't understand the Met Office's amber warning centred on Reading for this morning - they were still talking about it on BBC weather long after the main snow band moved away and the radar showed snow heading NW away from us and no sign of anything heading our way.

Edited by Stargazer
  • Like 1

Posted

This may be the only time I thank the Atlantic. ✅

• Like 5

Posted

Wow what a day spent 8 hours out in the snow today was amazing  when's the next lot? 

20190201_165905.thumb.jpg.78430b8b04e4fb181fe8cce2b8d81a82.jpg20190201_170107.thumb.jpg.71aef42763a948c5c3a5d60aa5c169f4.jpg20190201_134218.thumb.jpg.0cef1ffbf0cd5fd5592579f3d95cbe17.jpg

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

You certainly did alright there Karlos. There was nowhere near that here! Roads had cleared by midnight and it was just ice/slush on the grass and verges this morning. It's virtually all gone now.

Posted
29 minutes ago, matt111 said:

Not much happening here at the moment and there hasn’t been for a while now despite what the radar shows. Still a bit of last nights snow on the ground but a lot of it’s gone now, not helped by that wet snow that fell around 3pm. 

Just spoken to someone on the M3 near Basingstoke and this was the scene there not long ago. 

867658E9-2745-44C4-A941-57A1737AAE15.jpeg

Yes, still throwing it down around Basingstoke (I'm 5 miles north).

M3 blocked and mainline rail line to Winchester/Southampton blocked by treees brought down by the weight of snow.

Basingstoke hospital appealing for staff who are able to walk in.

• Like 1