Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West and Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion 01/12/2018 Onwards

Mapantz

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!
Just now, andy_leics22 said:

Hold on, just realized something... You used to be 'ajpoolshark'! How you doing me old mucka? Apart from being snowed in

he he.....hello mate....changed me name a year ago, 'ajpoolshark'  was sooooo 2005 - 2017...lol......I'm good Andy (jeez, you get around a bit mate...leics, oxon, and now Gib!)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow! Exciting weather!

17cm and still snowing  - beautiful!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow! Exciting weather!
Just now, beerandkebab said:

he he.....hello mate....changed me name a year ago, 'ajpoolshark'  was sooooo 2005 - 2017...lol......I'm good Andy (jeez, you get around a bit mate...leics, oxon, and now Gib!)

yeah and he looks a bit older than his original profile pic! lol travelling has not done him well! 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mike the Fish said:

Thanks Matty, looks promising

I heard someone say it was raining?

Hi mike, im in ferndown just a few miles down the road its a mix of sleet and light snow better later looking at net weather radar 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Snow
4 minutes ago, Singing in the Snow said:

Showing lightly in Poole Dorset but not really doing much at the moment

Thanks Singing in the Snow, someone said it was raining in Poole!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms
1 minute ago, beerandkebab said:

Haha! 'ajpoolshark' reminds me of a name someone would have on MSN back in the day  Tell me about it! I even had a year stint in Rushden from March 2017 to April 2018  So in the past 7 years, I've lived in Leicester, Oxford and Oxfordshire, Rushden and now Gibraltar. Only planning on staying here till July though and then move back to good old England. I am enjoying it here but I miss my friends and family in the UK and it sounds sad but I couldn't possibly live somewhere long-term that has 0% of snow all year round 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!
1 minute ago, andy_leics22 said:

Haha! 'ajpoolshark' reminds me of a name someone would have on MSN back in the day  Tell me about it! I even had a year stint in Rushden from March 2017 to April 2018  So in the past 7 years, I've lived in Leicester, Oxford and Oxfordshire, Rushden and now Gibraltar. Only planning on staying here till July though and then move back to good old England. I am enjoying it here but I miss my friends and family in the UK and it sounds sad but I couldn't possibly live somewhere long-term that has 0% of snow all year round 

it was my msn name...lol........you've given my secret away now though mate....some peeps might think 'ajpoolshark, wasn't he that knob of a moderator on here for years?...I thought that tosspot had gone'.... :oldlaugh:

Posted
17 minutes ago, Calneee said:

50p sized pieces falling now

(You can hear my pup in the background clawing at the door to get back out in it)

What camera is that? It’s very good quality.

edit: sorry I know this is not a camera forum, and I should be more impressed with the snow.

Edited by Bazray

Posted
27 minutes ago, beerandkebab said:

defo.....lol.....right up there with 'will it snow in cardiff'....and 'dinner plate sized flakes'......I might do another card later today if I get chance

Don't forget  BANK! BOOM! BUST! and !!!!!!!!

• Like 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, Frosty hollows said:

Don't forget  BANK! BOOM! BUST! and !!!!!!!!

the biggest new entry on the bingo card will be "ICON!!!!!! SOUTH 5 MILES!!!!!! WTF!!!!!!!!!"

and of course...."DECIPHER!"

Edited by beerandkebab
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

Hi all, wow, what a great surprise of a day! Still coming down as hard as anything. Granted, would have liked a degree or two lower all day, but hey, that is being greedy. Having said that its come down a degree in the last half hour here in Butleigh near Glastonbury. Currently 1.3. First post in a very long time!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow. Storms
4 minutes ago, Bazray said:

What camera is that? It’s very good quality.

edit: sorry I know this is not a camera forum, and I should be more impressed with the snow.

Thanks. All taken on my IPhone (6plus) 

Quick update: It’s still snowing, we’re one sledge down, the pup’s still out playing, hubbys been sent home to work & we may have opened the snow apocalypse Stella

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fascinated by extreme weather. Despise drizzle.

Variably light-moderate, occasionally heavy here this past hour. Very wet snow, not really adding to the level amounts any more - temp needs to come down about half a degree for that. 

More persistent heavier band wiggling about just north of me - seems hesitant to make the journey southeast.

Judging by the precipitation type on the netweather Radar - less cold upper level air has been entrained into the 'blob' from the east, but hasn't had much effect on the southern half of it (at least not yet - I'm wary of it). A battle coming up between the slight cooling as the sun lowers and that upper level inflow from the east. At the surface level we seem to mostly just have the diurnal temp variations to deal with, which under full cloud cover and falling snow is usually only about 1*C at this time of year.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, warm springs, hot summers, warm then stormy autumn

1B8E97F1-3A73-4E73-8647-F49B1F7F1AA9.jpeg

• Like 3

Posted

I wonder what area will have the most at the end, the Swindon / bath / Newbury triangle seems to have done v well. Many areas well over 6 inches.

3 minutes ago, Singularity said:

Variably light-moderate, occasionally heavy here this past hour. Very wet snow, not really adding to the level amounts any more - temp needs to come down about half a degree for that. 

More persistent heavier band wiggling about just north of me - seems hesitant to make the journey southeast.

Judging by the precipitation type on the netweather Radar - less cold upper level air has been entrained into the 'blob' from the east, but hasn't had much effect on the southern half of it (at least not yet - I'm wary of it). A battle coming up between the slight cooling as the sun lowers and that upper level inflow from the east. At the surface level we seem to mostly just have the diurnal temp variations to deal with, which under full cloud cover and falling snow is usually only about 1*C at this time of year.

Hi Singularity do you think i will have a chance of any more snow for ferndown dorset later many thanks

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, cold snowy winters, thunderstorms

Come on then - Let's see the photos of this big snow event to those having the best of it. Show the world the glorious white carpet currently showering you in its stunning glory ❄

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fascinated by extreme weather. Despise drizzle.
Just now, mattyj said:

Hi Singularity do you think i will have a chance of any more snow for ferndown dorset later many thanks

Hi Matty - I have a feeling you'll be near the southwestern limits of it, so you may see some more light, perhaps occasionally moderate sleet or snow. Being near the edge does make things very uncertain so no guarantees, but right now the radar shows sleet or snow reaching just 5 miles north of you, so it's not going to take much. Accumulations may be hard to come by, though, unless temps manage to drop as the sun goes down. I've still got a stalemate situation here with the falling snow offsetting the thaw almost 1 to 1.

2 minutes ago, Singularity said:

Hi Matty - I have a feeling you'll be near the southwestern limits of it, so you may see some more light, perhaps occasionally moderate sleet or snow. Being near the edge does make things very uncertain so no guarantees, but right now the radar shows sleet or snow reaching just 5 miles north of you, so it's not going to take much. Accumulations may be hard to come by, though, unless temps manage to drop as the sun goes down. I've still got a stalemate situation here with the falling snow offsetting the thaw almost 1 to 1.

Ok many thanks for reply