Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West and Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion 01/12/2018 Onwards

Mapantz

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Heat, Ice, Freezing Fog. Etc
1 minute ago, Nights King said:

I keep looking and it seems to retreat east slightly then push again from the east so not actually moving.

Running the animation on postcode zoom, it is spinning! I still can’t get my head around how it’s still in the same place - Id have thought it would of cleared east of the Cotswolds by now, let alone the Mendips! No complaints tho.... 

• Like 2

Posted

Costs a few quid I know,but its really pleasing to see the birds swamping the feeding station,the Robins were being almost hand fed,as well as having territorial punch ups,but worth every penny,not seen any heavy snow,but the garden suggests otherwise,places west of here getting a really memorable snowfall.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms in the summer, frost fog & snow in winter.
1 minute ago, jy said:

Costs a few quid I know,but its really pleasing to see the birds swamping the feeding station,the Robins were being almost hand fed,as well as having territorial punch ups,but worth every penny,not seen any heavy snow,but the garden suggests otherwise,places west of here getting a really memorable snowfall.

Feed the birds all year round but at times like this I'm putting even more food out and for the pigeons too. 

Edited by Smartie
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.
1 minute ago, SilverWolf said:

Running the animation on postcode zoom, it is spinning! I still can’t get my head around how it’s still in the same place - Id have thought it would of cleared east of the Cotswolds by now, let alone the Mendips! No complaints tho.... 

Ive been sat on the edge of the green echo furthest west and it has not moved. I think it will retreat but it doesn't. then i think it will pass over from east but it doesnt. Just stays in exactly same place unless it is moving south west but mendips take last of energy so it fizzles west of them. no idea

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers and cold winters with snow.

I think I will end up with at least 20cms this is an amazing event:yahoo:

• Like 4

Posted

I seem to be right on the eastern boundary in Andover where it keeps regenerating on the radar. Moves any further west and it’ll stop here but if it sinks back east I’m not expecting it to stop anytime soon.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: freezing cold and lots of snow

Some of u guys have deff been in the sweet spot and hopefully more on the way for u, keep the pics coming 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, warm springs, hot summers, warm then stormy autumn

I've measured 7cm on the patio. Not too bad.

• Like 1

Posted

Ive been sat on the edge of the green echo furthest west and it has not moved. I think it will retreat but it doesn't. then i think it will pass over from east but it doesnt. Just stays in exactly same place unless it is moving south west but mendips take last of energy so it fizzles west of them. no idea

The other thing that has surprised me is how the temperature must be very stable - only inches away from buildings there is no thaw at all. The only snow to come off the trees is because of wind. This is certainly unusual where I am after a night of snow fall like this. Yeah last March was different, but it was -5 when it was snowing, all powder from the east. But this came from the SW and started as rain, and is more ‘classic’ SW snow, bit wet and crunchy!  

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold snow, thunderstorms

Will these 2 join forces 

E38208D7-D11E-4AEB-A822-DDEAFEA84D6A.jpeg

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, SilverWolf said:

The other thing that has surprised me is how the temperature must be very stable - only inches away from buildings there is no thaw at all. The only snow to come off the trees is because of wind. This is certainly unusual where I am after a night of snow fall like this. Yeah last March was different, but it was -5 when it was snowing, all powder from the east. But this came from the SW and started as rain, and is more ‘classic’ SW snow, bit wet and crunchy!  

Temperature has been on -1.2c for last hour. No chance of a thaw today. Question is which side will it fizzle out from? 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fascinated by extreme weather. Despise drizzle.

image.thumb.png.5483e60f2464cf62a09a65b2741b0d0f.png

Looks to be a convergence line where the flow around the trough to the southeast is coming up against the flow around the ridge out west.

Explains why it's struggling to make it all the way down south; less convergence here unless the trough shifts south.

Back to very light snow here now, radar showing heavier amounts developing 4 miles to my NW but not getting any closer. Good thing I have plenty on the ground already!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

All hail the mighty HIRLAM....it's had this nailed!.......relentless snowfall here!

• Like 2

Posted
Just now, Singularity said:

image.thumb.png.5483e60f2464cf62a09a65b2741b0d0f.png

Looks to be a convergence line where the flow around the trough to the southeast is coming up against the flow around the ridge out west.

Explains why it's struggling to make it all the way down south; less convergence here unless the trough shifts south.

Back to very light snow here now, radar showing heavier amounts developing 4 miles to my NW but not getting any closer. Good thing I have plenty on the ground already!

Where is the trough forecast to go? south east?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme Cold and Hot inc Stormy Weather

Looking at the radar the ppn over Wiltshire appears to be building and the ppn over London looks like it may merge.

It looks like there may be a small area of LP in the channel which is dragging moisture from the north sea and feeding in.

Any thoughts?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross

This really is the gift that keeps on giving, no sign of it letting up. Longing to go for a wander and take some pics but don't want to ruin the pristine cover, want to wait just to see how deep it gets. Yeah I know, I'm sad.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Harsh Frosts & Heavy Snow
8 minutes ago, Blizzardof82 said:

I think I will end up with at least 20cms this is an amazing event:yahoo:

Never thought March would be beaten for many years but I think this will. That stubborn PPN isn't going anywhere anytime soon!

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fascinated by extreme weather. Despise drizzle.

Where is the trough forecast to go? south east?

hirlamuk-1-4-0.png?01-10hirlamuk-1-9-0.png?01-10hirlamuk-1-15-0.png?01-10

HIRLAM's a tad too far SE with it for noon (based on where we're at now), but yes, a southeast movement is predicted. Whether it holds together as well as these charts imply, remains to be seen!

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, jethro said:

This really is the gift that keeps on giving, no sign of it letting up. Longing to go for a wander and take some pics but don't want to ruin the pristine cover, want to wait just to see how deep it gets. Yeah I know, I'm sad.

I get that. But I broke the seal - it’s got that amazing sound underfoot! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, warm springs, hot summers, warm then stormy autumn

I nearly shouted at some school-children who were taking snow off the wall for snowballs earlier, luckily no one stepped on the pristine driveway  

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Singularity said:

hirlamuk-1-4-0.png?01-10hirlamuk-1-9-0.png?01-10hirlamuk-1-15-0.png?01-10

HIRLAM's a tad too far SE with it for noon (based on where we're at now), but yes, a southeast movement is predicted. Whether it holds together as well as these charts imply, remains to be seen!

Okay so it will retreat from the west country and head east.

Thats a shame.